Japanese Army Navy

Old July 27th 03, 09:15 PM
Vaughn

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

There are exceptions to every rule.

Even this one?

Vaughn

Old July 27th 03, 11:02 PM
Guy Alcala

Cub Driver wrote:

The Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa 'oscar' was very similar in shape, and also used
the same engines

In fairness to the army plane, the Hayabusa came first. The army
turned it down because of its perceived weaknesses in dogfighting.

Then the Zero was having trouble meeting specifications. So Mitsubishi
ditched its engine and borrowed the one Nakajima had developed for the
Hayabusa, and which of course was available since the Ki-43 wasn't
going into production.

Dan, I recall reading an account by IIRR Horikoshi, who said that it was strongly
implied to them by the navy that they should use the Nakajima engine, if they
wanted to see the a/c put in production. Mitsubishi was planning to use their
own (slightly less powerful, but IIRR lighter) engine in the a/c, but the
Japanese had a military-industrial-political complex too. It didn't have
anything to do with a lack of performance according to him. I'll try and find
the book and refresh my memory.

Guy

Old July 27th 03, 11:33 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Vaughn" wrote in message

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

There are exceptions to every rule.

Even this one?

Especially this one

Keith

Old July 28th 03, 02:53 AM
Gernot Hassenpflug

I am surprised no-one mentioned the Ki-100 (Dinah) - used by both
services although in small numbers, and also the Ki-49 Hiryu (Peggy),
used by both. Unless my memory is hideously deformed....
--
G Hassenpflug * IJN & JMSDF equipment/history fan
Old July 28th 03, 06:37 AM
Bill Shatzer

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

I am surprised no-one mentioned the Ki-100 (Dinah) - used by both
services although in small numbers,

The Ki.100 was NOT the "Dinah" - the "Dinah" was the Ki.46 and the
Ki.100 never received an allied code name although the Ki.100 was
a radial-engined development of the Ki.61 "Tony"

Neither the Ki.46, the Ki.61, or the Ki.100 was ever operated by
IJNAF units however. They were all IJAAF aircraft.

and also the Ki-49 Hiryu (Peggy),
used by both. Unless my memory is hideously deformed....

The Ki.49 had the allied code name "Helen". And was used exclusively
by IJAAF units.

The "Peggy" was the Ki.67 which -was- used in small numbers under
the designation "Yakakuhi" by the IJNAF. So far as I can tell,
all the aircraft operated by the IJNAF were transfers from the IJAAF
and none were purpose-built for the IJNAF

Cheers and all,

Old July 28th 03, 07:57 AM
Tony Williams

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..
An army
machine-gun bullet wouldn't fit a navy machine gun nominally of the
same caliber.

There was just one exception; both services used the licence-built
German 7.92mm MG 15 flexible gun (although they used different
designations...).

What is even more suprising is the lack of standardisation WITHIN each
service. I put a photo in 'Flying Guns: WW2' showing all of the
different aircraft ammo of up to 20mm which they used in service; the
IJN used five different calibres, the IJA used six, and the only
common element was the 7.92x57. There were also three different 30mm,
three different 37mm...

Tony Williams
Military gun and ammunition website: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
Military gun and ammunition discussion forum:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/
Old July 28th 03, 09:30 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Gernot Hassenpflug" wrote in message
I am surprised no-one mentioned the Ki-100 (Dinah) - used by both
services although in small numbers, and also the Ki-49 Hiryu (Peggy),
used by both. Unless my memory is hideously deformed....
--
G Hassenpflug * IJN & JMSDF equipment/history fan

It is

The Ki-100 was a Ki-61-II with a 1500 hp Mitsubishi Ha-112-II
radial engine and was definitely an army aircraft

The Ki-46 Dinah was also an army aircraft as was the
Ki-49 Helen

The Ki-67 Peggy was designed for the Japanese air force
but was used by the IJN albeit in small numbers, first being
used by them in the attacks against the US 3rd fleet off
Formosa in late 1944.

Keith

Old July 28th 03, 10:03 AM
Yann D

Then the Zero was having trouble meeting specifications. So Mitsubishi
ditched its engine and borrowed the one Nakajima had developed for the
Hayabusa, and which of course was available since the Ki-43 wasn't
going into production.

Well, this engine was also used by many other aircrafts (Ki-45 Kai b/c,
B5N2, J1N1 etc..)