New Racing Class

Old January 4th 18, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default New Racing Class

wrote:

Want a one deign class today with plenty of ships in the fleet that meet the above criteria? Start a Std Libelle class.
Just Musing
UH

I think I am about to start the official Ka-6 Semi one design racing class. Will be somewhat like the old International Race of Champions. Will assemble a small group (10-20) of Ka-6s of different models, equip them the same (or at least, very similarly), and race. No handicaps. But, you will draw a different plane to fly each day, to sort of balance out the differences between a Cr and an E. They are available for less than most 1-26s, and about half or less than the cost of a Standard Libelle. They have enough performance to be fun and easier to fly cross country than a 1-26. Pilots can come in and rent the plane for a very nominal fee (maybe $20 per racing day?) and go race.

We may well have enough Ka-6s in my area (Wichita, KS) to give a class like this a test at a contest this summer. Could do it at a regionals, but couldn't trade ships each day, so the defined subset of Sports might have to be limited to Schleicher Ka-6s. There has been a joke around my club about having a "Steve Class" to fly to try and win "The Steve Cup", and this might just be a good start for this new class. Anybody got a flyable but not in use Ka-6 they want to give me for this worthy cause? I only have one, but I have friends with more. :-)

Steve Leonard
Old January 4th 18, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Steve, the way you are going collecting birds, we will soon have a Steve ASW-12 class!
Old January 4th 18, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Did you see the Ka-6CR that just got listed on wingswheels? $2800 includes open trailer. Its down in my neighborhood over in GA.
Old January 4th 18, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Only need 5 to make a Ka6 Class at Region 10 North Steve. Let's do it.
Old January 4th 18, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

One for sale on W&W for $2500... someone jump on it!
Old January 5th 18, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On this, I take a clue from Jay Lamm: I want a racing class full of folks I'd like to hang out, fly with, retrieve for, and drink beer with around a bonfire.

The Homebuilt class.

Eligibility for anyone who owns and flies an amateur-built glider. Bonus points to anyone who also holds the repairbeing certificate for their glider, or otherwise demonstrates a substantial role in construction, repair, or modification. Open also to anyone who flies a 1-26 built from a kit.

Awards in order of exaltedness:

* Best retrieve
* Best improvisation (mechanical or theatrical)
* Best (not lowest!) save
* Overall speed points
* Daily speed points
Old January 5th 18, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bob sounds good. I would add a few awards to add to the fun:

-Highest finishing ugliest machine
-Brick Award:most relights by single contestant
Old January 5th 18, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 8:13:18 PM UTC-5, wrote:
-Highest finishing ugliest machine

Yes! Maybe I'll get the whale out of retirement!
Its got at least 3 colors of Bondo.
Old January 5th 18, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

Hey, no fair.....what about us fat people?

Old January 5th 18, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 10:24:42 PM UTC-6, Retting wrote:
Hey, no fair.....what about us fat people?

Grease you up and we can shove you in! :-)

Steve Leonard