Air Force One Had to Intercept Some Inadvertent Flyers / How?

Old February 10th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Air Force One Had to Intercept Some Inadvertent Flyers / How?

Story by Mac Daniel in the Boston Globe today states that an F-15 fighter
jet, which was escorting Air Force One (President Bush was in Manchester,
NH), had to intercept a 1979 Beechcraft Skipper Plane which was flying in
the restricted airspace. According to the article, the pilot didn't realize
that the airspace over Manchester airport was restricted due to the
president's arrival.

My question to you folks: How does the F-15 get the pilot's attention? And
safely direct the plane to land?

According to the article, the F-15 pilots "did not have to fire flares to
get the pilot's attention." At the same time, the F-15 was dispatched
because "air traffic controllers were unable to make contact with the pilot
by radio." The article doesn't state how the F-15 was able to get the plane
to land, other than this sentence: "The jet escorted the plane out of the
secure zone..."

I'm picturing a gigantic bullhorn, but even more pressing to me is can the
F-15 fly slow enough to "direct" this smaller plane?

Eager to hear some ideas here! Thanks!

Article he http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/02/09/4
_planes_violate_secure_airspace_1_forced_to_land/
--
Rick (www.rickumali.com) Umali
Old February 10th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Here's a link to a Pilot Intercept Procedures card from AOPA.
http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/intercept.pdf

If you are a pilot, it is a good idea to become familiar with these
procedures, or at least have the card in the cockpit. These TFRs pop
up all the time.

Those F15 pilots are good, slowing down to the speed of a C152.....

Old February 10th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I'm picturing a gigantic bullhorn, but even more pressing to me is can the F-15 fly slow enough to "direct" this smaller plane?

There are established intercept procedures for GA aircraft. IIRC the
jet would pull alongside the interceptee and try to contact on 121.5 or
use hand signals.

My guess is the stall speed for an F-15 is probably close to the
Skipper's cruise speed, but F-16s have been used to intercept slow
flying GA planes so I figure it shouldn't be too hard for the F-15.

Old February 11th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Rick Umali wrote:
[...]

I believe the intercept process is described in the AIM.
Old February 11th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I suspect gear and flaps down speed of a F15 to be around 110 or 120 knots. I
wonder if with the thrust to weight ratio if he could nose up and power up and
hold a much lower grd speed without altitude gain? Any former F15 pilots out
there have the answer?

Ron Gardner

Old February 11th 06, 11:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Do F-15s and 16s have VHF radios now? Back when I worked on F-4Cs and Es
all we had was UHF, and the F-15s and F-16s I got to look at and sit in
likewise only had UHF. I was pretty annoyed with the news media for
criticizing the Russian fighter pilots that shot down Korean Airlines 007
for not trying to contact the 747 with their radios. At the time our
fighters couldn't have contacted the KAL jet either. Not that that excuses
the Russians for shooting down the airliner.
Scott Wilson
Old February 11th 06, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Ronald Gardner" wrote

I suspect gear and flaps down speed of a F15 to be around 110 or 120

knots. I
wonder if with the thrust to weight ratio if he could nose up and power up

and
hold a much lower grd speed without altitude gain? Any former F15 pilots

out
there have the answer?

I have seen FA-18's "hang it on the prop" before; I'm sure F-15 pilots are
"almost" as good! g
--
Jim in NC

Old February 11th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I have had the opportunity in the past to intercept some private planes in
restricted areas in the back of F-16's, and the goals of the fighters are to
provide mutual support, so the intruder is always kept in sight.

Also, F-16's have VHF radios as well, so they can communicate on VHF guard
if needed.

They will not fly as slowly as a Beech skipper, and even 160k is pretty
slow. Generally, being cut off by an F-16 should get the pilot's attention.

Old February 11th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message oups.com...
I'm picturing a gigantic bullhorn, but even more pressing to me is can the F-15 fly slow enough to "direct" this
smaller plane?

There are established intercept procedures for GA aircraft. IIRC the
jet would pull alongside the interceptee and try to contact on 121.5 or
use hand signals.

snip

The intercepting aircraft should rock its wings, and if at night flash the navigation lights. The intercepting
aircraft then should initiate a slow turn, normally to the left to the desired heading to egress the area. The
intercepted aircraft should acknowledge by rocking its wings in return and follow while contacting ATC on 121.5 and
squawking 7700. If the interceptor does a quick climbing =90 degree turn without crossing the interceptee's, (is
that a word?) flight path you can proceed. Rock your wings to acknowledge. If the interceptor circles an airport
and lowers his gear he is telling you to land there. He'll turn on his landing light if it is night time.

Source: AOPA Intercept card. I carry one of these in my flight bag. After this discussion, I think I'll put another
one in my map pocket. Surely I'll be able to find one of them. : ' )

Joe Schneider
N8437R

Old February 11th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 21:13:11 -0500, Ronald Gardner
wrote in ::

I suspect gear and flaps down speed of a F15 to be around 110 or 120 knots.

Unfortunately, that doesn't prevent F-15s from endangering the public
by exceeding the 250 knot speed limit below 10,000'.