tail codes for 1940s/early 1950s reserve airfields

Old February 9th 04, 05:35 AM
Pauli G

Default tail codes for 1940s/early 1950s reserve airfields

Hello,
A while back I found a website listing the tail codes for the
1940s/50s airfields (ie. VA = Glendale, Willow Grove, etc), but now I
can't find that site anymore. Just wondering if someone has a
comprehensive listing like that of airfield tail codes. I believe
these might have been reserve squadrons. I'm building a model of the
SB2C Helldiver, and was wondering what some markings options were.
Also, if anyone has any info on what post-war airfields the Helldiver
was stationed at, I'd be appreciative.

Jay
Old February 10th 04, 05:03 AM
Steve Tobey

At least one Naval Air Station that I know of had SB2Cs based there, NAS
Dallas, sometime during the 1947 to 1948 time frame. I'm not 100% sure but I
*think* their tail code was DA and I'm fairly certain these would be late
model SB2C-5s. I would think that there would be several other post war
facilities that the Beast operated out, NAS St. Louis comes to mind,
unfortunately I don't have any resources handy to verify this. Good luck
with your project!

Steve

om...

Old February 11th 04, 12:25 AM
Thomdenton

The last SB2C reported in squadron inventory was a SB2C-5 with VA-54, 1 Jun
1949. Here are the codes through 1949:

A Anacostia
B Atlanta
C Columbus
D Dallas
E Minneapolis
F Jacksonville (also used by Oakland 1948)
G Oakland
H Miami
I Grosse Ile
K Olathe
L Los Alamitos (also used by Akron 1948)
M Memphis
N Spokane (1948)
P Denver
R New York (Brooklyn)
S Norfolk
T Seattle
U St Louis
V Glenview
W Willow Grove
X New Orleans
Z Squantum

Also in 1946 a second letter was used to indicate squadron type:
A Attack
F Fighter
P Patrol
R Transport
U Utility

example: DA would indicate an attack squadron based at NAS Dallas.
The second letter was dropped in 1948.

Old February 11th 04, 05:17 PM
Pauli G

Thank you for everyone's help!