A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

S-turns on final

Old February 13th 17, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Default S-turns on final

Came across a blast from the past on youtube. There was a video of teaching s-turns for glide path control. Looked to be from the 40's. Not sure why they would teach this when a slip would be safer and more effective.
Old February 13th 17, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

Default S-turns on final

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 10:45:27 PM UTC+3, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Came across a blast from the past on youtube. There was a video of teaching s-turns for glide path control. Looked to be from the 40's. Not sure why they would teach this when a slip would be safer and more effective.

Doesn't have to be one or the other! You can get much more sink rate in a slip if you use more aileron than the rudder can compensate for, and turn as a result.

Slipping full brake S-turns: more sink rate, longer path through the air -- *much* more height lost on the same length final.
Old February 13th 17, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

Default S-turns on final

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 11:45:27 AM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

S turns on final seems like a great way to get uncoordinated and kill yourself. Count me out.

Matt
Old February 14th 17, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default S-turns on final

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 5:54:51 PM UTC-6, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:

S turns on final seems like a great way to get uncoordinated and kill yourself. Count me out.

Matt

and slips aren't?
Old February 14th 17, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky
external usenet poster

Default S-turns on final

No, they aren't.
Old February 14th 17, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default S-turns on final

Admittedly, not used often, but I was taught S-turns on long final for spacing while flying power. This might be due to an aircraft delayed and not clearing the runway in a timely manner as expected, rather than execute a go-around (which remains an option if all else fails), or to increase spacing between the aircraft ahead if requested by tower. I was once asked for 360 for spacing while on long final by the tower while flying a Stemme (in glider mode). I most always planned a steeper approach when landing glider at an often busy airport (Napa, CA) to allow for sequencing. And an engine start on roll out to taxi home!

Stemmes do towered airports no problem - though I did visit the tower first to explain that I'd normally be landing as a glider and why.

bumper

Old February 14th 17, 08:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

Default S-turns on final

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 2:54:51 AM UTC+3, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:

I take it you don't have any ridges in your area?

A lot of the time we're a heck of a lot closer to the ground ridge soaring (or catching a thermal low off a peak) than on the part of a final where you might do S turns.

Old February 14th 17, 09:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Salmon[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default S-turns on final

At 05:51 14 February 2017, bumper wrote:
Admittedly, not used often, but I was taught S-turns on long final for
spac=
ing while flying power. This might be due to an aircraft delayed and not
cl=
earing the runway in a timely manner as expected, rather than execute a
go-=
around (which remains an option if all else fails), or to increase

spacing
=
between the aircraft ahead if requested by tower. I was once asked for

=
for spacing while on long final by the tower while flying a Stemme (in
glid=
er mode). I most always planned a steeper approach when landing glider at
a=
n often busy airport (Napa, CA) to allow for sequencing. And an engine
star=
t on roll out to taxi home!

Stemmes do towered airports no problem - though I did visit the tower
first=
to explain that I'd normally be landing as a glider and why.

bumper=20

I seem to remember George Moffatt, in one of his books, saying that that

was what he was taught in France, when he started.

Dave

Old February 14th 17, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike
external usenet poster

Default S-turns on final

Due to the hills and runway profile, S-turns are a standard procedure for landing at the Zar Mountain Gliding Center, Sebastian Kawa's home place. Also, they are commonly taught in Poland as just ONE of the methods to lose height in a particular situation. The more methods you have at hand, the better. S-turns allow you to do both: descend and yet delay landing a little bit, if needed, e.g. to give time to clear the runway.

Tom BravoMike
Old February 14th 17, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant
external usenet poster

Default S-turns on final

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 5:54:51 PM UTC-6, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:

Matt

Really? How are S-turns any different from normal turns in a pattern, especially if you have to setup for a crosswind on final?

Perhaps you are not comfortable with turns at low altitude? That in itself is pretty dangerous, more so than the actual turns.

Watch out on the ridge!

Kirk