S-turns on final

Old February 13th 17, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default S-turns on final

Came across a blast from the past on youtube. There was a video of teaching s-turns for glide path control. Looked to be from the 40's. Not sure why they would teach this when a slip would be safer and more effective.
Old February 13th 17, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 10:45:27 PM UTC+3, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Came across a blast from the past on youtube. There was a video of teaching s-turns for glide path control. Looked to be from the 40's. Not sure why they would teach this when a slip would be safer and more effective.

Doesn't have to be one or the other! You can get much more sink rate in a slip if you use more aileron than the rudder can compensate for, and turn as a result.

Slipping full brake S-turns: more sink rate, longer path through the air -- *much* more height lost on the same length final.
Old February 13th 17, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 11:45:27 AM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Came across a blast from the past on youtube. There was a video of teaching s-turns for glide path control. Looked to be from the 40's. Not sure why they would teach this when a slip would be safer and more effective.

S turns on final seems like a great way to get uncoordinated and kill yourself. Count me out.

Matt

Old February 14th 17, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

No, they aren't.
Old February 14th 17, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Admittedly, not used often, but I was taught S-turns on long final for spacing while flying power. This might be due to an aircraft delayed and not clearing the runway in a timely manner as expected, rather than execute a go-around (which remains an option if all else fails), or to increase spacing between the aircraft ahead if requested by tower. I was once asked for 360 for spacing while on long final by the tower while flying a Stemme (in glider mode). I most always planned a steeper approach when landing glider at an often busy airport (Napa, CA) to allow for sequencing. And an engine start on roll out to taxi home!

Stemmes do towered airports no problem - though I did visit the tower first to explain that I'd normally be landing as a glider and why.

bumper

Old February 14th 17, 08:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 2:54:51 AM UTC+3, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 11:45:27 AM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Came across a blast from the past on youtube. There was a video of teaching s-turns for glide path control. Looked to be from the 40's. Not sure why they would teach this when a slip would be safer and more effective.

S turns on final seems like a great way to get uncoordinated and kill yourself. Count me out.

I take it you don't have any ridges in your area?

A lot of the time we're a heck of a lot closer to the ground ridge soaring (or catching a thermal low off a peak) than on the part of a final where you might do S turns.

Old February 14th 17, 09:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Salmon[_3_]

=
between the aircraft ahead if requested by tower. I was once asked for

360
=
for spacing while on long final by the tower while flying a Stemme (in
glid=
er mode). I most always planned a steeper approach when landing glider at
a=
n often busy airport (Napa, CA) to allow for sequencing. And an engine
star=
t on roll out to taxi home!

Stemmes do towered airports no problem - though I did visit the tower
first=
to explain that I'd normally be landing as a glider and why.

bumper=20

I seem to remember George Moffatt, in one of his books, saying that that

was what he was taught in France, when he started.

Dave

Old February 14th 17, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

Due to the hills and runway profile, S-turns are a standard procedure for landing at the Zar Mountain Gliding Center, Sebastian Kawa's home place. Also, they are commonly taught in Poland as just ONE of the methods to lose height in a particular situation. The more methods you have at hand, the better. S-turns allow you to do both: descend and yet delay landing a little bit, if needed, e.g. to give time to clear the runway.

Tom BravoMike
Old February 14th 17, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 5:54:51 PM UTC-6, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:

S turns on final seems like a great way to get uncoordinated and kill yourself. Count me out.

Matt

Really? How are S-turns any different from normal turns in a pattern, especially if you have to setup for a crosswind on final?

Perhaps you are not comfortable with turns at low altitude? That in itself is pretty dangerous, more so than the actual turns.

Watch out on the ridge!

Kirk
66