Denver GA airport

Old May 29th 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cpw

Default Denver GA airport

Hey pilots. I'm flying to Denver in a couple of weeks to visit my
son. What's the best GA airport in the area?
Instrument rated private pilot, C-182.
Thanks.
Old May 29th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Really?

cpw wrote:
Hey pilots. I'm flying to Denver in a couple of weeks to visit my
son. What's the best GA airport in the area?
Instrument rated private pilot, C-182.
Thanks.

Probably Stapleton aka the old Denver Airport.
It is very near downtown
Old May 30th 08, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Really? wrote:
cpw wrote:
Hey pilots. I'm flying to Denver in a couple of weeks to visit my
son. What's the best GA airport in the area?
Instrument rated private pilot, C-182.
Thanks.

Probably Stapleton aka the old Denver Airport.
It is very near downtown

Actually, it isn't near anything anymore. It's gone.

Old May 30th 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Todd W. Deckard

I'd recommend Jeffco (BJC) as well. We received very good service from the
Steven's Aviation folks last time we were there in December.

"Clark" wrote in message
cpw wrote in news:52576cdd-6766-4e23-9471-b6bd3f2eb262
@x35g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Hey pilots. I'm flying to Denver in a couple of weeks to visit my
son. What's the best GA airport in the area?
Instrument rated private pilot, C-182.
Thanks.

For the big boys:
BJC is handy if you're going to the north side, APA is on the South side
of
town, FTG is on the east side (its just east of DIA).

There are a few other places with fuel and tie down space available if
that's
all you really need. All of them are on the north side of town.

I fly out of BJC and things tend to flow pretty smoothly there. APA is
just
plan busy with lots of jet traffic so things can stack up a bit there. FTG
is
so far from civilization that I think it's really in Kansas. :-)

Unless son is on the south side of town I'd suggest BJC.

--
---
there should be a "sig" here

Old May 30th 08, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

Clark wrote:
cpw wrote in news:52576cdd-6766-4e23-9471-b6bd3f2eb262

Hey pilots. I'm flying to Denver in a couple of weeks to visit my
son. What's the best GA airport in the area?
Instrument rated private pilot, C-182.
Thanks.

For the big boys:
BJC is handy if you're going to the north side, APA is on the South side of
town, FTG is on the east side (its just east of DIA).

There are a few other places with fuel and tie down space available if that's
all you really need. All of them are on the north side of town.

I fly out of BJC and things tend to flow pretty smoothly there. APA is just
plan busy with lots of jet traffic so things can stack up a bit there. FTG is
so far from civilization that I think it's really in Kansas. :-)

Unless son is on the south side of town I'd suggest BJC.

Oddly enough, BJC and FTG are almost the exact same distance from APA.
I live just north of APA and it's 25 min (assuming no traffic) to
either airport.

It all depends on where you need to go. At APA use the self serve gas
at TacAir.

Warning: There's now a $10 landing fee at APA. Each of the FBOs will
collect it. They're not happy, but the airport made the decision to
start charging. I haven't seen anything about it on the APA website
but TacAir told me about it a couple weeks ago.

FTG isn't really that far from civilization - it's just that urbanization
hasn't caught up to the east side of the Denver area yet so it looks
completely empty. On the positive side, there's almost no auto
traffic for 15 miles on I-70 going from FTG into Denver. Traffic starts
when you get to the intersection of I-70 and I-225.

Old May 30th 08, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old May 30th 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
Really? wrote:
cpw wrote:
Hey pilots. I'm flying to Denver in a couple of weeks to visit my
son. What's the best GA airport in the area?
Instrument rated private pilot, C-182.
Thanks.

Probably Stapleton aka the old Denver Airport.
It is very near downtown

Actually, it isn't near anything anymore. It's gone.

Gone, and then some, unfortunately...

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/CO/....htm#stapelton

Though, if you have time, you could take a trip out there to
see what is left of the old field. The old Tower looks to be the only
thing left, but it could tell stories for the aviation history buffs..

What you'll see is the tower, the United training facility (full motion
sims for the jets United flys), a city-owned parking facility with
transportation out to DIA/DEN, mixed use suburbia - shopping, condos,
apartments, etc. One of the runways was dug up years ago. That's on
the south side it I-70. The north side of I-70 (yes, the taxiways did
go *over* I-70 - lots of fun to be driving and see a 747 taxiing above
you on the bridge...) is another large shopping complex.

However, from the air (and yes, as long as you stay below 8000 ft
or get clearance into Class B) you can fly over and see parts of
what's left. Altho the runways have been dug up, the dirt is still
there. And so's a county jail at the east end...)

Old May 31st 08, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cpw

On May 30, 12:11 am, Blanche wrote:
Clark wrote:
[...]

Thanks, everybody.
CPW

MegaScenery Denver Pooty Lizard Simulators 0 June 6th 05 10:38 PM
Denver to Taos NM Paul kgyy Piloting 6 March 26th 05 03:32 AM
1965 Cessna P206 - 1/3rd Share - Centennial Airport (APA), Denver, CO Shawn Aviation Marketplace 0 September 16th 04 08:54 PM
WTD: CFI-G, Denver area (USA) David Campbell Soaring 0 July 5th 04 09:23 PM