Flying Club Features

Old April 12th 05, 06:33 PM
Montblack

("SAC" wrote)
We focus on having well equipped planes at a very reasonable rate.
Members really seem to be driven to nice avionics and quality mx. We
currently have 70 members with about 20 on the waiting list with 4 planes
(2 Warrior, 1 Skylane, 1 Lance, all with Garmin 430's).

(www.glendaleflying.com)

I went to your website - nice hangar.

70 members on 4 planes = almost 18 members per plane. WOW!

If one plane is gone for a week and another is down for a few days (or more)
then you'd have 69 members on 2 planes. Hmm.

It probably all works out just fine in the real world, but from the outside
looking in - it appears like you don't have enough planes for all of those
members.

Montblack

Old April 12th 05, 06:46 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Montblack" said:
If one plane is gone for a week and another is down for a few days (or more)
then you'd have 69 members on 2 planes. Hmm.

It probably all works out just fine in the real world, but from the outside
looking in - it appears like you don't have enough planes for all of those
members.

We have serious squabbles about availability every time we get up near to
60 members with 5 planes. 50 members for 5 planes works out better. Our
bylaws cap our membership at 15 members per plane, but I'd hate to see
that.

Back before we got ScheduleMaster, though, it was easier to sustain a
higher ratio because the members could see that Joe Blogs had booked the
Lance for every single Thursday to Saturday for the entire spring, summer
and fall season, and Fred Biggs has booked the Dakota in one block from
July 1st to July 31st, even though the plane is sitting on the field
unused for 90% of that time. With ScheduleMaster, everybody sees it and
starts howling for Joe's and Fred's blood. So we've had to institute a
few rules about how many schedules you can have in the system, and how
long you can book a plane for at a time. If you book a plane for an
extended period and don't cancel the booking and don't use it, *then* we
apply minimum per-day charges.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Using vi is kind of like having sex. The first time to use it, it's kind
Old April 12th 05, 07:32 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, (Paul Tomblin) said:
Back before we got ScheduleMaster, though, it was easier to sustain a
higher ratio because the members could see that Joe Blogs had booked the

^couldn't

Lance for every single Thursday to Saturday for the entire spring, summer
and fall season, and Fred Biggs has booked the Dakota in one block from
July 1st to July 31st, even though the plane is sitting on the field
unused for 90% of that time. With ScheduleMaster, everybody sees it and
starts howling for Joe's and Fred's blood. So we've had to institute a

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
But seriously, I've got root, so it's his problem.
-- Nick Manka
Old April 13th 05, 07:19 AM
SAC

Yes, that happens. In fact, we just had a top overhaul on the Skylane while
waiting for the engine mount to be repaired on the Lance. Members seem to
understand. We do keep all of our annuals in the winter to help limit prime
season down time.

In looking at our scheduling system (MyFBO), there are actually 20% of our
member that haven't flown in six months, some much longer. That really
helps too.

SAC

Old April 13th 05, 03:55 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "SAC" said:
In looking at our scheduling system (MyFBO), there are actually 20% of our
member that haven't flown in six months, some much longer. That really
helps too.

In our club of 50 people, 10 people do 50% of the flying, another 20 do
most of the rest, and then there are people who keep paying their dues but
either only do their annual check ride (we require a BFR-like ride every
year) or don't even do that. We love those guys.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
FAQs are like flatulence. Any asshole can produce them.
Old April 13th 05, 07:15 PM
John T

One thing I wonder about...how do you guys get the capital to buy a
plane for a new club?
I always thought that a club was good for the folks who can't afford to
own, but don't want to depend on renting schedules.

John

Old April 13th 05, 07:43 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, John T said:
One thing I wonder about...how do you guys get the capital to buy a
plane for a new club?

My club was founded in 1958 with one Cessna 150. Over the years it's been
up to 7 planes (including two Bonanzas) and now it's got 5 planes. We've
bought two Archers and a Dakota since I joined, but each time we sold
other older planes and made up the difference by taking on debt, but of
course we always had the other planes for collaterol for that.

I have no idea how you buy a plane without an existing club and club
assets.

I've spent time poking around the Oshawa Flying Club in Oshawa Ontario and
the Ottawa Flying Club in Ottawa Ontario, both clubs that have snack bars
and buildings and other stuff that put our club to shame. But both of
them started with the acquisition of incredibly cheap trainers (Tiger
Moths and Fleet Finches, I think) from the British Commonwealth Air
Training Program at the end of the war.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Whoah, whoah! A fat sarcastic Star Trek fan? You must be a devil with the
Old April 13th 05, 08:13 PM
Dave Butler

John T wrote:
One thing I wonder about...how do you guys get the capital to buy a
plane for a new club?
I always thought that a club was good for the folks who can't afford to
own, but don't want to depend on renting schedules.

The clubs I know about that own planes have all been around for a very long
time. I don't know how you'd get one started. Borrow, I suppose.

The club I know best leases its planes from individual owners who are also club
members. Seems to work out OK. I was an owner of one of the club planes for a while.

DGB
Old April 14th 05, 10:15 PM
SAC

We've been around since '61 and I'm not sure how it started.

I guess you could start with a few people willing to put up a personal
guarantee for a loan until you have enough collateral to get your own club
financing. Then open up to new incoming member to bring in fees and dues
and build from there.

SAC

"John T" wrote in message
One thing I wonder about...how do you guys get the capital to buy a plane
for a new club?
I always thought that a club was good for the folks who can't afford to
own, but don't want to depend on renting schedules.

John

Newbie Qs on stalls and spins Ramapriya Piloting 72 November 23rd 04 05:05 AM
Considerations for joining flying club Marty Ross Piloting 17 September 18th 04 06:24 PM
SoCal Flying Club Kelly Bakst Piloting 0 September 13th 04 09:06 PM
Bell 47 Flying Club Atlantic City John P. Kelly Rotorcraft 0 July 23rd 03 12:48 AM