Gear-Up at KFRG this AM

Old April 14th 05, 10:07 PM
Marco Leon

Default Gear-Up at KFRG this AM

The guy was calm and cool. I was impressed with his professionalism.
Although, he was too nice and accomodating in my opinion. The Beech Sierra
pilot opted to continue landing/touch-n-go on RWY 32 despite the winds being
lined up directly down RWY 01 at 13 knots. He didn't want to "shut down" the
airport. Nice guy.

After a touch-n-go in an unsuccessful attempt to jar the gear loose, he went
back up and away to keep working on it. The tower set-up a dedicated freq so
he could talk to his mechanic and after some troubleshooting, decided to
come in. However, he decided to stop the engine on short final to save the
prop/engine. I know that's a very controversial decision (I recall an Avweb
article about this) but he did shut it off and didn't kill himself.
Actually, no injuries.

The radio is archived at LiveATC.net (April 14 approx 08:25 thru 09:00 AM).

Marco Leon

http://www.usenet.com
Old April 14th 05, 11:05 PM
Brad Zeigler

Thanks for the audio link. It was interesting to hear how ATC handled the
planned gear-up incident.

Old April 15th 05, 02:56 AM
Newps

Slick wrote:

I didn't realize they would provide a frequency for help, that's awesome.

Every facility has extra freqs that they don't use, either ever or
rarely. It is a lot easier to just get a different controller to work
this guy while the regular controller goes about his normal duties.

Old April 15th 05, 06:30 AM
Skywise

[...]

Did anyone else hear the pilot holding back a chuckle as he
replied to the souls on board question? "One SOB"

Brian
--
http://www.skywise711.com - Lasers, Seismology, Astronomy

Home of the Seismic FAQ
http://www.skywise711.com/SeismicFAQ/SeismicFAQ.html

Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old April 15th 05, 09:21 AM
G. Sylvester

Skywise wrote:
Did anyone else hear the pilot holding back a chuckle as he
replied to the souls on board question? "One SOB"

I didn't hear that but what about the one cherokee pilot calling
ground that occupied the radio for a couple of minutes
because he talked one word every 5 seconds. Kind of reminded
me of Jim from the TV show Taxi.

What you wrote reminded me of a US Air (?) flight that went
off the end of the runway at LGA about 13-15 years ago. I read
in the newspaper that one of the rescuers went up to a guy
climbing out of the bay covered in jet fuel and asked "Are
you from the plane crash?" The passenger replied, "No, I made
a wrong turn off the LIE."

Overall though, a very interesting clip.

Gerald
Old April 15th 05, 03:05 PM
jmk

Similar deal some years back, with a friend of the family. Couldn't
get the nose gear down on his twin. So they set up a relay between him
and the factory. He needed to burn off fuel anyway, so for the next
hour or more he circled east of town while they suggested things to
try, and he called back saying "that didn't work, what next."

He always laughed about how they ran out of ideas. He tried something,
called back and said "What do I try next? ... ... Hello?... " All
this while they tried to figure out how to word "We don't HAVE anything
next to try." G

In the end, beautiful dead-stick landing, all gear up. Maintenance
problem (he was returning from having the plane worked on at another
airport). They had disconnected a linkage, not properly reconnected
it, and once he retracted the gear it was NEVER going back down.
Insurance fixed the plane, and he was back flying a month later.

The other laugh he got out of it was being cursed at by a lady running
a local TV newscrew. She had picked the even up on a scanner (when it
first started) and was irate that he had "not really crashed. And
didn't he know how much it cost to keep a crew and equipment there
waiting?" He said she was really ticked off at him.

Old April 15th 05, 04:24 PM
Marco Leon

"jmk" wrote:

The other laugh he got out of it was being cursed at by a lady running
a local TV newscrew. She had picked the even up on a scanner (when it
first started) and was irate that he had "not really crashed. And
didn't he know how much it cost to keep a crew and equipment there
waiting?" He said she was really ticked off at him.

Clearly a person who needs a slap to gain some perspective. I hope he called
the station and told her boss. How did he respond to her?

Marco Leon

http://www.usenet.com
Old April 16th 05, 06:58 AM
Ben Jackson

On 2005-04-14, Marco Leon wrote:
Although, he was too nice and accomodating in my opinion. The Beech Sierra
pilot opted to continue landing/touch-n-go on RWY 32 despite the winds being
lined up directly down RWY 01 at 13 knots. He didn't want to "shut down" the
airport. Nice guy.

Also, he only had his right main gear, so the crosswind would have
let him land on the right main first. There wasn't much talk toward
the end, so I couldn't really tell if he even kept the partial gear.
Now I'm wondering if my prop would clear the runway if I landed on
one main and the nosegear (although losing one main in a Comanche is
highly unlikely).

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/