Sukoi 30 demo video

Old January 9th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself

Default Sukoi 30 demo video

Gulp...
You goys gotta see this!

http://www.crazyaviation.com/movies/CA_SU-30.wmv
Old January 9th 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
link.net...
Gulp...
You goys gotta see this!

http://www.crazyaviation.com/movies/CA_SU-30.wmv

That has to be one wild freakin' ride!

As impressive as it is, what good do those types of moves do a warbird?
Nothing, I think.

Face it, this is a "shoot and kill before you see me" kind of environment,
now. Fighters don't play Snoopy and the Red Baron anymore.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 10th 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

As impressive as it is, what good do those types of moves do a warbird?
Nothing, I think.

I am not so sure. This looks like it might be a "vectored thrust"
demonstration and I have read of a lot more effort being expended on
that--but I lack the imagination to think of all the reasons that it could
have value. About all I can suggest is that, if it does not reduce the
maximum speed of the aircraft but does reduce the minimum speed, that would
increase the utility of almost any aircraft...

However, it did appear to expend a lot of power to accomplish what it
did--and was probably VERY lightly loaded.

Peter

Old January 10th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
[email protected][_1_]

As impressive as it is, what good do those types of moves do a warbird?
Nothing, I think.

Face it, this is a "shoot and kill before you see me" kind of environment,
now. Fighters don't play Snoopy and the Red Baron anymore.

The Air Force F-22 Raptor combines similar maneuvering capability with
stealth technology, making it a vastly superior weapons platform. The
radar cross-section of the Sukoi is the size of a battleship, by
comparison. It wouldn't last long in head-to-head combat.

Anyone who saw the F-22 demonstration at OSH '06 will never forget it.
It's quite simply an amazing aircraft.

To view a flight demonstration, see this:

http://alexisparkinn.com/photogaller...t-Langley.mpeg

and this:

http://alexisparkinn.com/photogaller...ompilation.wmv

To view all of our military videos, go he
http://alexisparkinn.com/military_videos.htm
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 10th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Morgans wrote:
As impressive as it is, what good do those types of moves do a
warbird? Nothing, I think.

Face it, this is a "shoot and kill before you see me" kind of
environment, now. Fighters don't play Snoopy and the Red Baron
anymore.

That is almost exactly what was said when when the F4 was designed without
guns. It didn't work out that way.

Old January 10th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
Morgans wrote:
As impressive as it is, what good do those types of moves do a
warbird? Nothing, I think.

Face it, this is a "shoot and kill before you see me" kind of
environment, now. Fighters don't play Snoopy and the Red Baron
anymore.

That is almost exactly what was said when when the F4 was designed without
guns. It didn't work out that way.

Yeah, but in all fairness, wasn't that about 45 years ago?

Old January 10th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Morgans wrote:
As impressive as it is, what good do those types of moves do a
warbird? Nothing, I think.

Face it, this is a "shoot and kill before you see me" kind of
environment, now. Fighters don't play Snoopy and the Red Baron
anymore.

That is almost exactly what was said when when the F4 was designed
without guns. It didn't work out that way.

Yeah, but in all fairness, wasn't that about 45 years ago?

Sure it was. But sh!t happens, especially in combat. And while shooting the
other guy down 100 miles away before he even knows you are there works real
well for defending a CVN during all out shooting war. It doesn't take a lot
of imagination to come up with a scenario where pilots aren't allowed to use
those long range weapons and are forced into a good old fashioned dog fight.

Old January 11th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

Morgans wrote:
As impressive as it is, what good do those types of moves do a
warbird? Nothing, I think.

Face it, this is a "shoot and kill before you see me" kind of
environment, now. Fighters don't play Snoopy and the Red Baron
anymore.

That is almost exactly what was said when when the F4 was designed
without guns. It didn't work out that way.

Yeah, but in all fairness, wasn't that about 45 years ago?

Sure it was. But sh!t happens, especially in combat. And while shooting
the other guy down 100 miles away before he even knows you are there works
real well for defending a CVN during all out shooting war. It doesn't take
a lot of imagination to come up with a scenario where pilots aren't
allowed to use those long range weapons and are forced into a good old
fashioned dog fight.

Well, call me a hold out, but I would still have to lean a little more
towards Jim's way of thinking. With the situational awarness capibilities of
something like a Raptor, and his ability to supercruise, it sure seems more
and more likely they would be hard to sneak up on.

Old January 11th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Morgans wrote:
[...]

I'm not talking about getting sneaked up on. I'm talking about ROE that have
not a thing to do with the capibility of the aircraft.

Old January 11th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote

I'm not talking about getting sneaked up on. I'm talking about ROE that
have not a thing to do with the capibility of the aircraft.

Even close in, they have short range missles to do the job.

I'm not advocating not having guns. I just don't think they have much
relevance, in all but the most unusual conditions. I sure could not justify
taking away from an aircraft's ability to stand off and fight, to have that
kind of radical maneuverability.

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time that the US took down an enemy
plane with gunfire alone?
--
Jim in NC