You mean I have to TALK to ATC? - long

Old September 16th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc

Default You mean I have to TALK to ATC? - long

I can see him losing a GPS signal and falling on his ass out of the office
chair while talking to simulated ATC

Old September 16th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc

I had the same thing occur to both units just before an IFR departure
earlier this week as well- perhaps the GPS failure was pretty widespread.

Rebooted both and they came up no problem.

Old September 16th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc

His only contact with the real world is sitting in front of computer making
airplane sounds and talking to fake ATC. What does he know about flying, let
alone the real world?

Old September 16th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Viperdoc" wrote in
t:

His only contact with the real world is sitting in front of computer
making airplane sounds and talking to fake ATC. What does he know
about flying, let alone the real world?

Well, exactly, aside from naming every carpet strand on the way to the
fridge..

Bertie
Old September 16th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

B A R R Y wrote in
:

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 22:08:11 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

You don't fly,

My personal fave is "Bankruptcy Boi."

Funny how he never wants to talk about that..

bertie
Old September 16th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
zac.badenoff

Jeff wrote:

snip

Apparently, we were inside someone else's practice are, because we got
to fly some formation maneuvers with a Piper who liked our airspace. We
safely snuck behind him, but I still don't think he ever saw us.
jf

snip

Pardon me for jumping into this thread, but the paragraph above left me
a bit shocked. At no time did either of you think to *contact* this
aircraft, to advise the pilot that you were in *his* vicinity?

If he suddenly performed a steep turn, or any extreme direction change,
how would that have affected your position?

I was under the impression that *see and be seen* was paramount for
safety in the air?

Anyway .. nice story otherwise.

__
zb

PS: Finally, what is it with all the aggressive attitude against certain
posters in newsgroups? IMHO It's exceedingly immature and disheartening
in this day and age. My 2c.

Old September 16th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"zac.badenoff" zac wrote

PS: Finally, what is it with all the aggressive attitude against certain
posters in newsgroups? IMHO It's exceedingly immature and disheartening in
this day and age. My 2c.

Do some googling on past threads, or stick around for a couple days.

The hostility is well earned, and deserved.

If you are talking about MXSMANIC, he is a self-proclaimed expert on
EVERYTHING from flying air transport aircraft to breast feeding. (on their
newsgroup) If you don't believe that one, go to the group and poke around
and ask questions and google.

He should be in a Psycho ward, and on some strong medication. Instead, he
trolls here,and elsewhere, ****ing off everyone with arguments, that when
proven to be incorrect, he dismisses as incorrect, and the poster
irrelevant.

If you don't want to be quickly classified with him, I would suggest you not
stick up for him. You too, will tire of him in a hurry, and wonder why you
ever thought he deserved the benefit of the doubt.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 16th 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Jeff[_1_]

"zac.badenoff" wrote in message
Jeff wrote:

snip

Apparently, we were inside someone else's practice are, because we got
to fly some formation maneuvers with a Piper who liked our airspace. We
safely snuck behind him, but I still don't think he ever saw us.
jf

snip

Pardon me for jumping into this thread, but the paragraph above left me a
bit shocked. At no time did either of you think to *contact* this
aircraft, to advise the pilot that you were in *his* vicinity?

If he suddenly performed a steep turn, or any extreme direction change,
how would that have affected your position?

I was under the impression that *see and be seen* was paramount for safety
in the air?

Anyway .. nice story otherwise.

__
zb

I was about to contact him when he turned away from us. We were really
never that close, but there was a time he stopped "moving" in my windshield,
so I opted to turn towards where he'd been (behind him) and keep a close eye
as we past above and behind him. I'm terrible at determining distance
plane-to-plane. We were close enough to get my attention, but never so
close that I felt like there was a real problem (of course I'm just the
student here ).

As for the "hostility", please don't judge this group by a few posts! These
guys have helped me immensly in the years I've been lurking here. Great
guys who go out of their way to help (and even give out free beer a few days
prior to Oshkosh (and even some during)). Hang around here a while. It's a
great place to be. there are just a few posters who like to cause problems
and have more than worn out their welcome with some folks (ok...most folks).

jf

Old September 16th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Jeff[_1_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
We picked up our radial (352 FROM SYI, i think), and headed for MQY.

The trip back was pretty cool. I opted to fly the VOR all the way into
SYI,

I'm surprised to see that primary students are still flying VOR
radials. I thought that had gone the way of ADFs and light beacons,
but I guess not.

Jay,

If they took my OBS out of my plane, I'd probably quit flying! I don't
know why, but VOR and NDB type navigation has always been "fun" for me. I
love using the chart to triangulate my position and (like I said in the
blog), I've even figured out several "original" ways to use VOR's to figure
out where I am. Of course, I always found out later that my "original"
ideas were usually 50 years old and put out of use by GPS (or even DME! ).

Call me a geek, but I just think the whole radio navigation game is a lot of
fun. Don't get me wrong. The day I can afford one of those fancy dancy
moving map panels....I just might get one.....but I still want my steam OBS

jf