SPOT rescue in AOPA magazine

Old February 15th 10, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default SPOT rescue in AOPA magazine

The Feb 2010 AOPA Pilot magazine has an article about two pilots rescued
after an airplane crash in Idaho. Each had a SPOT but neither unit was
well secured; fortunately, they were mobile enough to dig through the
wreckage to find and activate them. A medical helicopter landed on the
take off strip about 20 minutes after the accident, then the medical
technicians hiked to the crash site.

My SPOT is mounted with dual grip fasteners on the canopy rail, but I
think I'll make a stronger mount for it. Even if you carry it on your
person, it needs to be secured well enough to take the accident forces.
Being immobilized in the cockpit with SPOT around your feet won't help any.

The article said about 120,000 units have been sold since it went on
sale. I thought it would be more, but apparently the company is very
happy with the figures. Their new unit is even more attractive at half
the size, and with a better button layout. It would fit on a parachute
more easily, and it likely will have less dropouts with (I assume) a
newer, more sensitive GPS.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Jan/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm tinyurl.com/yg76qo9

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz
Old February 15th 10, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT[_3_]

I've read the article.. very convincing, a strap slot through the back of
the spot case to fit a parachute or seatbelt shoulder strap would be great.
(they may have one, been a while since I looked)

There were reports of the newer model SPOT having issues..
have those been resolved?

BT

Old February 15th 10, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

I want a SPOT or APRS with me, not in the glider. My parachute
rigger added a webbing strap to the left shoulder flap of the
container. This puts the SPOT (which is in the pouch from an old
Personal ELT) in a perfect position and does not interfere with
deployment of the parachute. The flap has Velcro on one side and opens
to allow the risers out. The right side is near the gooseneck
microphone, perhaps not as good.
Jim
Old February 15th 10, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

Spot has been very proactive about fixing the issues with the SPOT-2 units.
They will pay for return shipping for any units purchased before the recall.
The new version of the SPOT-2 units should be available very soon.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old February 15th 10, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Feb 15, 11:11*am, JS wrote:
* I want a SPOT or APRS with me, not in the glider. My parachute
rigger added a webbing strap to the left shoulder flap of the
container. This puts the SPOT (which is in the pouch from an old
Personal ELT) in a perfect position and does not interfere with
deployment of the parachute. The flap has Velcro on one side and opens
to allow the risers out. The right side is near the gooseneck
microphone, perhaps not as good.
Jim

Actually I want the SPOT mounted in the glider where it has a great
sky view and be in tracking mode. I love SPOT tracking. And I want a
406MHz PLB and the resources of the USAF coordination center and all
the other SAR organizations behind it when the crapola really hits the
fan. I've flown with that exact configuration from when SPOT
messengers were first available.

It is great to see increased awareness of devices like the SPOT
messenger. Unfortunately the AOPA articel does a pretty poor job of
explaining this technology, especially vs. PLB and ELT devices.

1. It confuses 406 MHz PLB and SPOT messengers, calling the SPOT a
PLB.

2. It does not discuss (or even better emphasize) the benfits of SPOT
tracking - which to me is the "killer app" of this device.

3. The article did nothing to explain the termination of 121.5MHz
SARSAT monitoring etc, and 406 Mz vs. 121.5 Mhz ELTS etc. In fact the
article has people describing problems locating ELTs -- what I suspect
are old 121.5 MHz only ELTs without making clear that that modern 406
Mhz ELTS and PLBs (with or without GPS output) are far superior. The
article also mentioned termination of 121.5 MHz SARSAT monitoring
without explaining that 406 MHz ELTs are monitored via SARSAT and
vastly superior to the old 121.5 MHz only ELTs.

I understand the desire to base around a human interest story but they
could have done a lot better explaining the technology and mentioning
other options. Fellow AOPA members can read the article online here -
http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pi...ture_spot.html

BTW on Jim's comment about how he *properly* mounting his SPOT on his
parachute harness strap. Allen Silver who rigs many glider parachutes
has been quite concerned about SPOT messengers mounted incorrectly on
the parachute shoulder strap in such as way that they could prevent
the risers deplying properly. He has seen some very unsafe things
done. See this PDF on Allen's Web site.
http://www.silverparachutes.com/file...ce_2009-07.pdf

Darryl
Old February 15th 10, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT[_3_]

Thanx Paul..
I'm heading out on a long cross country trip in May..
ASEL Coast to Coast and return.
BT

Old February 16th 10, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

I am removing the members only tag so all can read the article.

All AOPA Pilot articles are available to the public three months after
publishing date of Pilot Magazine.

"BT" wrote in message
[...]

you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz- Hide quoted text -

AOPA Pilot Magazine Wayne Paul Soaring 2 August 26th 09 04:53 AM
Spot deal, today only, buy service get a free Spot Tim Taylor Soaring 3 December 1st 08 10:30 PM
Me 110 rescue Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 0 July 24th 07 10:08 AM
ADIZ Violation Explained in AOPA Magazine Jay Honeck Piloting 168 January 15th 06 02:49 AM
Audi Magazine gliding spot Al Soaring 0 March 6th 04 07:31 AM