vinyl wrap

Old October 6th 18, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

Default vinyl wrap

On Friday, October 5, 2018 at 5:58:58 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, October 5, 2018 at 6:25:51 PM UTC-4, wrote:
That said just putting over old cracked gelcoat would be a poor decision.
UH

Why? Not challenging what you say, UH, just want to understand what the issues would be. I can guess some, but I would love to hear yours, much more of an experience base than mine....

Cheers,
J6

1- Unless enough of the existing finish is removed, there likely will be mass balance issues.
2- If failing finish is not removed, the failure of the finish will continue. It is cracking because it is old and brittle and shrinking.
3- Crappy under surface will almost certainly show through unless sanded smooth and flat.
"There has to be an easier way".
UH

Also, How would a cosmetically flawless Wrap be perceived by an inspector, or a potential buyer?
In this world you can have Good, Fast, Cheap, Pick any two.
Scott
Old October 6th 18, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Friday, October 5, 2018 at 7:37:24 PM UTC-4, Scott Williams wrote:
[...]

I once knew a glider pilot that was good, fast and cheap...

T8
Old October 6th 18, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TangoPapa

Hi all,
I am just starting to sand my wings this week. I work in a sign shop and would cost me almost nothing to wrap my wings. However, I will paint the wings instead the vinyl wrap and I tell you why. Even if you use best car vinyl it will crack soon if you did not use the best UV protection film, like the 3M 8508 or Trigon 3mil gloss laminate. At work we have new car wraps daily. Before we can start we have to take off the old wrap. If the wrap was less than 3 years old it will come off easily long as the installer did not use additional glue/cement at the edges or on sharp curves. We had cars that did not have UV protector laminates and we had to sand off the whole car, it wasn’t pretty sight, the vinyl almost bakes to the surface. Normally during the installation, we heat up the vinyl to F 350-400 with a heat gun as we lay down the vinyl. With that we can stretch and form the vinyl.. This could over heat the skin. If you still decide to use a car wrap on the wings make sure to tell the installer not to use excessive heat! It is possible to install the wrap cold, with soap and alcohol mixture but I never tried in on a wing.
The other problem that I can see that the vinyl cracks in cold if flexes, good example would be the wing. We are losing wraps on plastic bumpers all the time. I am also questioning that the FAA would let you wrap legally a glider with a standard airworthiness certificate.
Good look experimenting, but please remove the wrap in every tree years.
Old October 7th 18, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Tango Eight wrote on 10/5/2018 5:33 PM:

I once knew a glider pilot that was good, fast and cheap...

We all dream of it, but few achieve it.

Old October 8th 18, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Echo

And his wings were heavy because of it...ask me how I know. Ha

Vinyl Numbers [email protected] Soaring 10 June 19th 18 11:03 PM
Applying Vinyl Contest numbers..... Gary Adams Soaring 0 May 11th 12 10:13 PM
Removing vinyl letters Gary[_5_] Soaring 7 December 31st 11 07:10 PM
vinyl trim source Brad[_2_] Soaring 3 March 23rd 10 06:02 AM
Plastic/Vinyl letters Mel Dawson Soaring 23 February 19th 06 12:46 AM