Trailer TETRIS

Old February 17th 10, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Trailer TETRIS

JS and glidergeek,
excellent info here! I am considering driving from SC to UT using my
Diesel Jetta, which gets around 35mpg with a trailer at moderate
speeds. My problem is that with the 'generous' allotment of vacation
time we tend to get in the US, I am pretty much blowing all my days. I
am figuring on about 3-4 days per leg (2,100miles). So my motive is to
save time by sending the rig ahead and to pick it up on the other end.
Decisions, decisions ....
GM- Hide quoted text -

In exactly the same boat here - *it's the "extra" days that kill any
hope of SW or West Coast contests for me. * The one alternative that
I've toyed with is finding club member (retired, under-employed,
independently wealthy) who is willing to do the drive in return for
some flying time. *I'm willing to let him/her have the aircraft for up
to a week either side of a contest.

Especially if they are willing to share a hotel room with you, the
incremental cost of paying for their food and a few extra hotel nights
is probably cheaper than any other alternative. *Plus, you then have
crew for the contest...

Not to hijack the thread, but this is why we need east and west
nationals in the USA. The racing committee ignores the data and the
written comments from the last pole and has taken no steps to explore
changing the US system. The comments from the last pole were clear
that pilots are tired of driving or just don't drive to contests
across the country because of cost and time involved. The US team is
being selected from only those willing to drive long distances and
have the vacation time to spend three weeks for a nationals.

OK, off my soapbox and back to the original thread.
Old February 18th 10, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Thread part one:
Thanks to all with info on how to win at Trailer Tetris, especially
KS.
I think it has scared my friend off the idea of two in a container. At
least I won't need to pack it! Chocking and strapping one trailer in a
container takes very little effort.

Thread part two:
The bets are on. My money is on GM and P3 getting someone else to
drive their car/trailer to Parowan.
P3 will certainly get a response to that offer! Hard to beat flying
the Great Basin in the heat of the summer.
(the look on HW's face after his first XC at Ely was priceless.)
Jim

Thread part three:

Old February 19th 10, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

On Feb 17, 8:48*pm, JS wrote:
Thread part one:
* Thanks to all with info on how to win at Trailer Tetris, especially
KS.
I think it has scared my friend off the idea of two in a container. At
least I won't need to pack it! Chocking and strapping one trailer in a
container takes very little effort.

Thread part two:
* The bets are on. My money is on GM and P3 getting someone else to
drive their car/trailer to Parowan.
P3 will certainly get a response to that offer! Hard to beat flying
the Great Basin in the heat of the summer.
(the look on HW's face after his first XC at Ely was priceless.)
Jim

Thread part three:
On Feb 17, 10:26*am, Tim Taylor wrote:

OK, off my soapbox and back to the original thread.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for all the input, guys! Sorry to disappoint you, JS! I will
bite the bullet and drive both ways with the help of my daughter, who
will also crew for me in Parowan.
Anyhow, I think a discussion about Eastern/Western Nationals is
warranted. Even if we don't split it up like this, at least the dates
should be picked such that the 4th of July weekend is somehow included
to save prescious vacation time lest we want to turn the Nationals
into an event that only independently rich or retired folks can attend
regularly. Wait - let me get into my Nomex suit first .... ;-)
GM