iPhone X and iGlide - the verdict is in.

Old November 26th 17, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Default iPhone X and iGlide - the verdict is in.

Thanks for this. OLED ought to be better in high brightness environments so it's reassuring that it is. It looked to me like Apple didn't set the max brightness on the iPhone X as high as I would have liked, but I could only experience it in the store.

Seems like one reflection problem is off the inside of your canopy onto the bezel of your Avier. ;-)

9B
Old November 26th 17, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 5:17:45 PM UTC-8, Andy Blackburn wrote:
Thanks for this. OLED ought to be better in high brightness environments so it's reassuring that it is. It looked to me like Apple didn't set the max brightness on the iPhone X as high as I would have liked, but I could only experience it in the store.

Seems like one reflection problem is off the inside of your canopy onto the bezel of your Avier. ;-)

9B

The brightness specs quoted by cell phone makers can be somewhat misleading.. Especially when comparing LCD and OLED. For example, Samsung fans have made great hay out of the "1200 nits" that an S8 is capable of, without mentioning that this is for single pixels. The average over the whole display has been tested at about 1/3 of that. Apple quotes the brightness of the X the same as the 6 and 7, yet it can clearly be brighter. Other factors are contrast, reflections, pixel density, etc., all of which affect high brightness legibility. That's why I wanted to actually test it. On the iPhone X (and Samsungs OLED phones) the display will be driven brighter automatically if you take in outside, so looking at it in the store isn't really representative.

Those pictures where taken outside, not under a canopy. There were many angles that effectively mirrored the Avier display, and only a few that did that to the iPhones. I have not found reflections to be that big a problem in the cockpit though, the worst case seems to be looking into the sun wearing dark glasses. I just found a nice pair of sunglasses for us old folks - a large bifocal reader area combined with gradient shading such that the bifocal is nearly clear. Haven't tried flying with them yet but so far I like what they do:

https://flyingeyesoptics.com/product/hawk-bifocal/

Old November 26th 17, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 5:48:13 PM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
[...]

I was joking about what appeared to be the classic Schleicher canopy-focused burn mark...maybe I mistook it.

9B
Old November 26th 17, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 6:02:44 PM UTC-8, Andy Blackburn wrote:
[...]

Oh yeah, I forgot about the burn mark! Yep, that's a Schleicher canopy signature version Avier....