A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Glider crash near Reno yesterday

Old September 29th 18, 08:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike
external usenet poster

Default Glider crash near Reno yesterday

I don’t know about the duo, but the standard Discus 2 elevator has a push rod that exits the front fuselage at the left side where it passes through a bulkhead. I experienced partial elevator jamming in level flight in rough air and it was finally found (by Fidel in Moriarty) as a lost antenna (a small telescopic one with a BNC connector). The push rod can be jammed there by relatively small loose objects.

Having said that, I wonder if there would be enough elevator authority to initiate the reported loops?

Mike
Old September 29th 18, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, 4 September 2018 04:09:46 UTC+10, bumper wrote:
Another tragic accident yesterday near Slide Mountain. Responders haven't reached the crash site as of this morning due to fire. There are conflicting reports from witnesses and unconfirmed info. Here's a link to the KOLO TV News report:

http://www.kolotv.com/content/news/P...?ref=hvper.com

Since they were, for a long time, well over the height where supplementary oxygen is needed, there is a very real possibility that they both blacked out. This would explain everything. No one at the wheel.
Old September 29th 18, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Saturday, September 29, 2018 at 4:49:54 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, 4 September 2018 04:09:46 UTC+10, bumper wrote:
Another tragic accident yesterday near Slide Mountain. Responders haven't reached the crash site as of this morning due to fire. There are conflicting reports from witnesses and unconfirmed info. Here's a link to the KOLO TV News report:

http://www.kolotv.com/content/news/P...?ref=hvper.com

Since they were, for a long time, well over the height where supplementary oxygen is needed, there is a very real possibility that they both blacked out. This would explain everything. No one at the wheel.

I very much doubt that. XC had MH oxygen equipment which warns of faults including not breathing. Both were experienced mountain pilots who flew almost exclusively there. One was quite fit, and being at 14,500 ft as reported, even for days, would not be incapacitating without oxygen for him.
Old October 2nd 18, 12:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Glider crash near Reno September 2nd 2018 (retitled from "yesterday"

Retitled from "yesterday" to make future searches easier.

Old October 2nd 18, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 4:04:09 AM UTC-7, Dan Daly wrote:

Dan, Thanks for doing that. I realized how dumb the original title was, but couldn't figure out how to edit it.

bumper
Old October 2nd 18, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BG[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 4:04:09 AM UTC-7, Dan Daly wrote:

Unfortunately, medical issues in the cockpit can jam the controls. This happened to a friend of mine when a walk up passenger had a epileptic seizure on tow. The passenger pulled hard back on the stick in a Blanik. It resulted in vertical climb, broke the rope and then impacted the ground killing the passenger in the front seat and severely injuring my friend in the back seat. This happened at El Tiro in the late 80's while I was there. A medical issue can explain several things. Times of control and times of chaos, not bailing out because he is your friend and you are trying to save his life. The high G maneuver at the end certainly caused them to blackout. Remember, the whole thing started at 14,500 when they started heading east away from the direction the contest start line over Truckee. All this we have good records of their flight trace via the PFlarm data from takeoff to heading east over Rose after thermalling with another glider. Then things got crazy as they lost over 4000 ft in 2 minutes and a I witnesses saw them at around 10k doing these crazy maneuvers out of control. This timeline is important to understanding what happened. IF any of this is true, then this brings up the subject of anyone flying with a safety pilot with a known problem. Flying in a two place plane has never been more complicated in my mind. I have and have not flown with people with known medical problems by my choice. Going forward it will never happen again nor will I ever consider asking someone to be that safety pilot.

We might never know what really happened, but all the time and effort to try and understand is a healthy exercise for our community. Imagine if nothing was being said, that would add to this already tragic event.
Old October 2nd 18, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 7:04:09 AM UTC-4, Dan Daly wrote:

Alas that does not change the thread title if reading RAS via the Google Groups web page.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!fo...iation.soaring
Old October 3rd 18, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

A standard date format would work better if you want to facilitate search. For example 9/2/2018
Old October 3rd 18, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 10:29:29 AM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:

A standard date format would work better if you want to facilitate search. For example 9/2/2018

The nice thing about standards is that you have so many of them to choose from. :-)
Old October 3rd 18, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

True, many places out of the US use a different format for date (my wife programs for databases worldwide, I get to hear that often.....).
Just like RS-232, there are many standards.

As to mandates, I have ridden motorcycles for 40+ years, I hate mandatory helmet laws, but unless putt-putting in the driveway, I always wear a helmet.

Guess some of this falls under "anti authority" which is a knock in the training that is covered being a CFI of any type.