Cheap paint job

Old April 5th 04, 10:48 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Chris Kennedy wrote:

Surprisingly heavy stuff, paint...

During WWII, they put a standard Navy paint job on a captured Japanese Zero and
couldn't get it off the ground.

George Patterson
This marriage is off to a shaky start. The groom just asked the band to
play "Your cheatin' heart", and the bride just requested "Don't come home
a'drinkin' with lovin' on your mind".
Old April 5th 04, 11:00 PM
MikeM

EDR wrote:

Nothing better than shiny aluminum!

Except keeping it shiny!

Old April 7th 04, 02:17 AM
Paul Folbrecht

Thanks for all the replies. What I did have in mind was doing some of
the work myself but it seems that there's a lot of effort & equipment
involved in that. Well, not the stripping. I may do that. I am going
to ask the local shop (Waterdown) how much $$ back that would get me.
Either on my own or in their shop.

The thing is, the paint isn't *that* bad. It was done in '89 and seems
to have been a decent job. But, there are a lot of scratches, and dings
(deeper than the paint), and stains. I'm quite aware that a $7K paint
job isn't going to add nearly $7K to the plane's value.

Paul Folbrecht wrote:
The paint shop nearest me wants $7K to do a 152 (2 colors). I can't
justify that for a $20K bird; the current paint isn't that bad. Is
there any way at all to get a real paint job done for, say, closer to
half that??

Old April 7th 04, 02:17 AM
Paul Folbrecht

When was that? Today they quoted me $5000 for a 152.

Dan Luke wrote:

Is there any way at all to get a real paint job done for, say,
closer to half that??

http://www.menaaircraftpainting.com/ painted the local club's Cessnas
for about $3,800 each. The results were acceptable, though they took
longer than promised.

Old April 7th 04, 03:11 AM
Dan Luke

"Paul Folbrecht" wrote:
When was that? Today they quoted me $5000 for a 152.

Two years ago, a 3-plane deal. Two 172s and a 152.

Old April 7th 04, 01:55 PM
Nathan Young

Paul,

If cost is the driving factor - shop the job around. Try Woodlake
Aircraft Refinishing in Sandwich, IL (private field). Ask for Russ
Ellis. 815.786.2538 He quoted me about 33% less than RYV for touchup
work on my Cherokee. He is quite busy however.

-Nathan

Old April 7th 04, 08:35 PM
David Johnson

Stripping an airplane is more work than you think. I did mine, and it
took
the best part of a year to get everything done (including etching and
alodining)- working on weekends. Saved me about $1000 on the paint
job. Would I do it again? No way. Of course, no doubt the second time
would go much quicker.

I looked into using the facilities of the Aircraft Paint & Prep Booth
in
Corona, CA. They rent them out to those who want to do it themselves.
After thinking it over, I concluded that all the time and expense of
staying there to do the job wasn't worth it. It may have been
different if I had lived nearby.

In the end I paid a shop to do the painting. IIRC it was about $4500
for
a ready-to-paint Cessna 182. They did a good job, and the paint has
held up well (this was about 6 years ago).

David Johnson