Time Measurement for Inspections

Old April 6th 04, 03:03 AM
JDupre5762

What do you consider "late model Bonanza"? Every one I've looked at (from
1987 onward until they stopped making them in 1994 has one (at least in the
F33A model).

How about a 2003 model A36? I service a 1998 A36 and it has no recording tach
only a hobbs meter. All the engine instruments have been reduced to about 1.5"
diameter dials, no room for a tach counter.

John Dupre'
Old April 6th 04, 04:19 PM
Ron Natalie

"JDupre5762" wrote in message ...
What do you consider "late model Bonanza"? Every one I've looked at (from
1987 onward until they stopped making them in 1994 has one (at least in the
F33A model).

How about a 2003 model A36? I service a 1998 A36 and it has no recording tach
only a hobbs meter. All the engine instruments have been reduced to about 1.5"
diameter dials, no room for a tach counter.

Yep, that's the ticket. My Navion now has the prop, engine, and engine instruments from
a 2003 A36. Got it with 9 hours total (just enough time to get it from Kansas down to
the conversion shop to put the turboprop on). My old tach wouldn't have worked anyhow.
It was set up for the old Gopher-35 engine which cruises at 2800 RPM. The hours on the
tach weren't the total time anyhow (not the original tach, had to add something like 4000 hours
to the value).

Old April 6th 04, 04:52 PM
Michael

Rich wrote
As a practical matter, for Part 91 operations, I've never heard of
anybody using anything but tach time.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

My Twin Comanche does not have a recording tach, because it has a
single instrument (dual needle) for both engines. Hobbs time would
have meant inspections at unnecessarily frequent intervals. My
solution was to interface an hourmeter to the squat switch using an
isolation relay. That gives me the real time in service, defined as:

In Part I, Definitions,
"Time in Service, with respect to maintenance time records, means the
time from the moment an aircraft leaves the surface of the earth until
it touches it at the next point of landing."

The truly hilarious part of this - in order to get the installation
approved, I generated so much paperwork that the weight of the paper
exceeded the weight of the installed components.

Michael
Old April 6th 04, 05:05 PM
Russell Kent

Michael wrote:

My Twin Comanche does not have a recording tach, because it has a
single instrument (dual needle) for both engines. Hobbs time would
have meant inspections at unnecessarily frequent intervals. My
solution was to interface an hourmeter to the squat switch using an
isolation relay.

snip

The truly hilarious part of this - in order to get the installation
approved, I generated so much paperwork that the weight of the paper
exceeded the weight of the installed components.

In order to reduce the chance of this happening again, I'd suggest using
lighter paper next time. :-)
http://www.xerox.com/Static_HTML/xsis/lwpaper.htm

Russell Kent

Old April 7th 04, 05:06 AM
R. Wubben

On a related note,
I just got a (new to me) 1962 Cessna 172. Are the fuel burn tables in
tach time or hobbs time (I have both) and have been using tach time as
it gives me a slightly higher fuel burn (but is more conservative).

Or am I way off base...?

Ryan Wubben
Madison, WI
Old April 7th 04, 05:26 AM
Richard Kaplan

"R. Wubben" wrote in message
om...

On a related note,
I just got a (new to me) 1962 Cessna 172. Are the fuel burn tables in
tach time or hobbs time (I have both) and have been using tach time as
it gives me a slightly higher fuel burn (but is more conservative).

Fuel burn tables are in real (clock) time.

Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com