space ship one makes the target

Old June 21st 04, 06:02 PM
Andrew Gideon

Maule Driver wrote:

How about being our first "PA", that is Private Astronaut. Or "CA".

Given that there's prize money involved, I'd expect that he needs a
commercial license. Needless to say, a high altititude endorsement is
required. Is there an endorsement for "space", is this a "rating", or
what?

Are there any CFIs in the northern NJ area that can provide training for
these laugh? Or is it like ATP, where CFI-ness isn't required?

- Andrew

Old June 21st 04, 07:03 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jay Masino" wrote in message
Tom Sixkiller wrote:
Yes, of course. The first civilian astronaut was Joseph Walker, who

flew
the X-15 to an altitude of 347,800 feet on July 19, 1963.

Were the X-15 pilots classified as "astronauts"?

I believe it crossed the internationally accepted "boundary" of space
(100km).

That's true, but that's not (AFAIK) what gets the plot classified as
"Astronaut". Some people with that classification have never been up in
"space", but by the classification are qualified to go there.

Old June 21st 04, 07:04 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jay Masino" wrote in message
Tom Sixkiller wrote:
"JP" wrote in message
We have a civilian astronaut.

yeeeehaaa!

Doesn't NASA have a bunch already? Weren't Neil Armstrong during Gemini

and
Apollo, and Harrison Schmidt on Apollo 14, civilians?

We have the first astronaut of a civilian funded spacecraft.

I think the term is "Private Astronaut".

Old June 21st 04, 08:21 PM
Dima Volodin

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

Doesn't NASA have a bunch already? Weren't Neil Armstrong during
Gemini and Apollo, and Harrison Schmidt on Apollo 14, civilians?

Yes, of course. The first civilian astronaut was Joseph Walker, who flew
the X-15 to an altitude of 347,800 feet on July 19, 1963.

Were the X-15 pilots classified as "astronauts"?

Yep. http://www.spaceline.org/astronauts/x15pilots.html Also see
http://www.fai.org/astronautics/100km.asp

Dima
Old June 21st 04, 10:10 PM
Jim Fisher

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message

Yes, of course. The first civilian astronaut was Joseph Walker, who flew
the X-15 to an altitude of 347,800 feet on July 19, 1963.

"Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along, please . . ."

--
Jim Fisher

Old June 21st 04, 10:13 PM
Maule Driver

"Andrew Gideon"
How about being our first "PA", that is Private Astronaut. Or "CA".

Given that there's prize money involved, I'd expect that he needs a
commercial license.

Given that it cost $20 mil and the prize is $10 mil, perhaps he is just
sharing costs

Old June 22nd 04, 12:40 AM
Dave Stadt

"Jay Masino" wrote in message
Tom Sixkiller wrote:
"JP" wrote in message
We have a civilian astronaut.

yeeeehaaa!

Doesn't NASA have a bunch already? Weren't Neil Armstrong during Gemini

and
Apollo, and Harrison Schmidt on Apollo 14, civilians?

We have the first astronaut of a civilian funded spacecraft.

I do believe civilians have funded every penny of the US space program.

Old June 22nd 04, 12:41 AM
Dave Stadt

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Maule Driver wrote:

How about being our first "PA", that is Private Astronaut. Or "CA".

A news link posted in another thread refers to him as the first

"non-governmental
astronaut".

That's not even close to being true.

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.

Old June 22nd 04, 12:52 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
. ..

yeeeehaaa!

Doesn't NASA have a bunch already? Weren't Neil Armstrong during

Gemini
and
Apollo, and Harrison Schmidt on Apollo 14, civilians?

We have the first astronaut of a civilian funded spacecraft.

I do believe civilians have funded every penny of the US space program.

Amazing, isn't it, how many people completely miss that point, and too, that
a tax cut "costs the government".

Old June 22nd 04, 01:40 AM
Jay Masino

Dave Stadt wrote:
We have the first astronaut of a civilian funded spacecraft.

I do believe civilians have funded every penny of the US space program.

Of course, but I think you know what I meant.

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___