Consistent Student Syllabus?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 25th 05, 04:05 AM
Mark Morissette

I'm a CFI here in the states. I use the Transport Canada program,
modified a bit to reflect the needs of the US FAA, with most of my
'independent' students. Most CFIs in the US have a fairly wide latitude
to tailor their instruction to the individual needs of the students.

Ok, as I thought, based on what I've read here in the newsgroups...
What really gets me is how it seem some students are flying lessons in
orders that make no sense based on my experiences as a student.

Student performance varies widely. I have had students who picked up
normal landings in a single lesson. I have had others who took 5 or 6
lessons to get to the same point. Was the former the 'better' pilot?
Actually no. He just got to a certain point faster. But I would have
served *neither* student well, if I blindly adhered to a schedule that
made the first student spend 3 hours on something he had mstered in 1,
and allowed the second student only 3 hours for something he needed six
for.

Ok, very true.. I wasn't suggesting that one "blindly" follow a
syllabus even if a student was clearly not progressing.

What I was trying to get at however is that at least *some* sort of
lesson plan be used... It just baffles me to read about students that
are making up their own lesson plans to ensure that they are
effectively learning stuff, instead of just flying around sightseeing
once they are post-solo.

Yes, our syllabus here north of the border is certainly flexable...
If I had ever reached a lesson (or may yet reach, for that matter)
where I was not progressing or needed extra practice, then yes, the
lesson plan would stop, and I'd get more practice untill I myself (or
my instructor) was satisfied.

Anyhow, thanks for the info. :-)

---
Mark Morissette