where can you fly?

Old July 24th 03, 09:17 PM
Armitage Shanks

Default where can you fly?

Hi,

Once you're a qualified private pilot, where can you/can't you fly?
For instance, say I spot an interesting cloud formation. Can I just
take off, fly up to it, ascend the vertical walls of the cloud and fly
through its troughs and valleys in exploration of a formation that
will only ever occur once?

Can I hover 100 feet over a city, or next to a high-rise building?
Old July 24th 03, 11:44 PM
Ike Israel

"Armitage Shanks" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

Once you're a qualified private pilot, where can you/can't you fly?
For instance, say I spot an interesting cloud formation. Can I just
take off, fly up to it, ascend the vertical walls of the cloud and fly
through its troughs and valleys in exploration of a formation that
will only ever occur once?

Can I hover 100 feet over a city, or next to a high-rise building?

You really need some instruction... Really good instruction...
Really soon. G

Ike.

Old July 25th 03, 01:56 AM
toadmonkey

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:44:23 GMT, "Ike Israel" wrote:

"Armitage Shanks" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Once you're a qualified private pilot, where can you/can't you fly?
For instance, say I spot an interesting cloud formation. Can I just
take off, fly up to it, ascend the vertical walls of the cloud and fly
through its troughs and valleys in exploration of a formation that
will only ever occur once?

Can I hover 100 feet over a city, or next to a high-rise building?

You really need some instruction... Really good instruction...
Really soon. G

Ike.

At least he's asking. Better than not asking and doing/trying to do. And it is
an interesting questions for those of us that don't know the answer.
TM

--
Toadmonkey: "Now now. Brain popping and world crashing may be hazardous to ones perception of reality.
Very dangerous business that can lead to madness or something worse for some, truth."

Please remove all bits of spam from addy before replying....

Old July 25th 03, 01:15 PM
Walter Hawn

"Armitage Shanks" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

Once you're a qualified private pilot, where can you/can't you fly?
For instance, say I spot an interesting cloud formation. Can I just
take off, fly up to it, ascend the vertical walls of the cloud and fly
through its troughs and valleys in exploration of a formation that
will only ever occur once?

Brother clouds aren't as interesting as one would think, and they're
difficult to deal with.
First, they're constantly changing and moving-sometimes rapidly. Second,
hard things come out of clouds moving very fast- "airplanes", I think
they're called. Regulations and good sense require you stay away from clouds
by various intervals above, below and laterally. Finally, IF your aircraft
had sufficient performance, and some clouds build vertically faster than
civil aircraft can climb, and IF you could maintain cloud clearance, you'd
be in a place where you could well have a real problem maintaining contact
and reference to the surface. Not conducive to a long aviation career.
All to see... a white surface lacking definition, up close.

While I wouldn't recommend darting through the troughs and valleys VFR, you
could do it IFR.
Enroute VFR and at a prudent distance the clouds are scenic. A glance
usually does it, and then I'm back scanning for traffic.

Can I hover 100 feet over a city, or next to a high-rise building?

You could do that, I suppose. Soon, you wouldn't be "a qualified private
pilot" and you'd have significant legal problems as well.
Wally

Old July 25th 03, 01:24 PM
dharakos

I'm talking on the Australian side of things, there are rules regarding
seperation from clouds and certainly rules about operating below 1000 /
500 feet above a populated area. I imagine this is similar around the
world.

Don't worry, there's a lot of freedom and fun to be had - But the rules
are there to keep you and others safe.

Great idea to pop into your local flying school, I'm sure the guy's
there would be only too happy to give you some more specific answers.

Regards,
David Harakos

--
dharakos
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

Old July 27th 03, 12:42 PM
Ike Israel

"toadmonkey" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:44:23 GMT, "Ike Israel"

wrote:
snip...
"Armitage Shanks" wrote in message
om...

snip...
Once you're a qualified private pilot, where can you/can't you fly?

snip...
You really need some instruction... Really good instruction...
Really soon. G

Ike.

At least he's asking. Better than not asking and doing/trying to do. And

it is
an interesting questions for those of us that don't know the answer.
TM

I teach at Rucker, believe me, helicopters are not the best the best
aircraft to 'learn by discovery'. There is a video on the net of an airline
pilot who bought himself a surplus TH-55. He turned down a checkout...

Ike.

Old July 28th 03, 03:32 AM
Phillip

"Armitage Shanks" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

Once you're a qualified private pilot, where can you/can't you fly?
For instance, say I spot an interesting cloud formation. Can I just
take off, fly up to it, ascend the vertical walls of the cloud and fly
through its troughs and valleys in exploration of a formation that
will only ever occur once?

Can I hover 100 feet over a city, or next to a high-rise building?

The answers to these questions can very. It depends on what class airspace
you're in when it comes to clouds. Flying close to the ground can also
depend on where you are. In some cases, the rule is "Can you make an
emergency landing without endangering life or property?" If you can't,
you're too low.

In some places, you must maintain a certain altitude.

Get hooked up at a ground school. This is where these type of questions are
answered better. Or, get a home study course (The King video tape stuff
maybe).

Old August 6th 03, 08:40 AM
PW

"Todd Wuerdeman" wrote in message
you have the URL for the video training? Sounds interesting.

Todd

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/

http://www.kingschools.com/

http://www.jeppesen.com/wlcs/index.j...aqs_email.html