Right Rudder

Old August 15th 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Right Rudder

Jim Logajan wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote:
"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
Oh my goodness....Right Rudder? Why in the world would any pilot
need right rudder and why do so many of todays pilots fail to have
any understanding of it?
I'm training in a glider - I hadn't noticed any asymmetries with
regard to rudder use. I suspect my CFI would slap me on the back of
the head if I didn't use appropriate rudder. Okay, maybe not, because
she's a veterinarian when not acting as a CFIG on the weekends, so I
presume that means she's good with animals and mongrel students like
me.

;-)
She could of course throw you to the dogs :-)
That would worry me mightly if I had not already met the dogs. :-)

Well, that being the case, you could of course become the teacher's pet!!
:-))

Groan.

:-)

My wife LOVES Shakespeare. I can't understand the guy myself, except
what he said about puns.
:-))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old August 16th 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
Oh my goodness....Right Rudder? Why in the world would any pilot need
right rudder and why do so many of todays pilots fail to have any
understanding of it? How come so many of todays pilots seem to hug the
left side of the runway?
Such a frustration for CFI's and I wonder how many of the current crop
of CFI's have a handle on it or even understand what they are trying
to teach?
Its a sad situation.
Your comments or observations?

Most airplanes can be slowed down enough behind the curve to produce a 0
airspeed (IF) and it's a big IF, the aircraft has enough aileron
authority to counteract the torque. You can do this in a J3 for example,
but in the P51, you will torque roll the airplane before reaching a zero
airspeed.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old August 16th 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_5_]

buttman wrote:

Then you should fly with the current crop of CFI's and ask them hard
questions about what they do and why?

Well, a bunch of CFI candidates and I have been meeting two or three
times a week since about April and because I work ten hours a day, I'm
the last in line, but the others have passed their checkrides in the
last several weeks and already have students.

What exactly would you like me to ask them?

And what of the zero flap forward slip to a landing? What about the
cross control stall discussion? To what meaning? BFD they can discuss
it and can't perform it

Now, how in hell do you say they can't perform it? They DID perform it,
at least to PTS standards. Why are you suggesting to readers that they
can't?

Spins? What a joke. I challenge you to show me 10 out of 100
new CFI's who can do a coherent discussion and demonstration of spins
and recoveries or who have actually done them?

Again, you're showing total ignorance. Of the 10 CFIs I know, ALL OF
THEM HAVE DONE SPINS. Most recently, I demonstrated six of them with a
gold seal CFII-MEI on July 2. What exactly would you like to to discuss?

Discussions are great but its like sex. You can talk until you are blue in the face

Blahblahblah...are you not aware of 14 CFR 61.183 (i) 1 and 2? You have
to have a logbook endorsement from a CFI saying that you've demonstrated

I think you need to not generalize so much. I imagine most "current
crop of CFI's" you are referring to are people with roughly 250 hours
TT. Obviously they are not going to be Chuck Yeagers.

And yet they've all demonstrated spins and spin recovery for a required
logbook endorsement prior to the checkride, and demonstrated
instructional proficiency in spin awareness and recovery during the exam.

And if you're one of those 10,000+ hour pilots who can do it all,

How many of those do you think there are compared to the number of
people in primary, instrument or commercial training, or getting a
flight review?

As long as they can teach someone else how to fly without crashing in
the process or wasting a ton of time/money, then everything will be
OK.

That's more or less obvious, isn't it?

-c
Old August 16th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_5_]

gatt wrote:
buttman wrote:

Sorry, I mangled the attributions and responded to both of you as if it
were one post. My error.

-c
Old August 16th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_5_]

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:

Then you should fly with the current crop of CFI's and ask them hard
questions about what they do and why?

I accidentally misquoted Buttman (?) in my reply to you. In a nutshell,
I've flown with a current crop of CFIs and hang out with them weekly. My
checkride is next week. I'm not doing it to build hours, by the way,
and certainly not for the money; I want to teach people to fly.

I have a hard time with new CFI's who can't teach a forward slip

without the longitudinal
axis going 10 degrees off line.

If that was the case they'd never pass the checkride.

And what of the zero flap forward slip to a landing? What about the
cross control stall discussion? To what meaning? BFD they can discuss
it and can't perform it

I demonstrated spins in a C-150 for the chief instructor last month.
It's a required logbook endorsement for the CFI checkride. You have to
demonstrate spins and instructional proficiency, and then if you fail to
demonstrate instructional proficiency during the checkride you have to
go demonstrate spins themselves again with the instructor.

Been there, done that.

I challenge you to show me 10 out of 100
new CFI's who can do a coherent discussion and demonstration of spins
and recoveries or who have actually done them?

Won't name names on the usenet, but 8/8 of the new CFIs in the last year
have done them and all of the older CFIs have as well.

-c
Old August 16th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_5_]

Second attempt here...

buttman wrote:

I think you need to not generalize so much. I imagine most "current
crop of CFI's" you are referring to are people with roughly 250 hours
TT. Obviously they are not going to be Chuck Yeagers. And if you're
one of those 10,000+ hour pilots who can do it all, those CFI's are
going to look more worse than they really are.

Agreed.

As long as they can teach someone else how to fly without crashing in
the process or wasting a ton of time/money, then everything will be
OK. If, for some reason its still not OK, then just don't hire CFI's
with low time. Because there is really nothing else you can do about
it.

Still stating the obvious, and I totally agree.

I apologize again for confusing your post with the one to which you were
replying. You guys have a great weekend!

-c
Old August 16th 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert Moore

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote
I have a hard time with new CFI's
who can't teach a forward slip without the longitudinal axis going 10
degrees off line.

Is there something here that I don't understand? In a forward slip to
a landing (to lose altitude), of course the longitudinal axis is not
aligned with the runway. The axis and runway SHOULD be aligned in a
side slip (crosswind correction). Did I misread something?

Bob Moore
Flight Instructor ASE IA since 1970
ATP B-727 B-707 PanAm (retired)

Old August 16th 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
Oh my goodness....Right Rudder? Why in the world would any pilot need
right rudder and why do so many of todays pilots fail to have any
understanding of it? How come so many of todays pilots seem to hug the
left side of the runway?
Such a frustration for CFI's and I wonder how many of the current crop
of CFI's have a handle on it or even understand what they are trying
to teach?
Its a sad situation.
Your comments or observations?

Once you've passed the check ride there is no one screaming in your
ear to keep it over the center line and people get sloppy.

And if the runway is wide, what difference does it make until the
runway isn't...

Personally, since my airplae has a free castoring nose wheel and a
bad record of people hitting things at the edge of the runway, I
try to keep things centered.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old August 16th 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

"Robert Moore" wrote in message
5.205...
"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote
I have a hard time with new CFI's
who can't teach a forward slip without the longitudinal axis going 10
degrees off line.

Is there something here that I don't understand? In a forward slip to
a landing (to lose altitude), of course the longitudinal axis is not
aligned with the runway. The axis and runway SHOULD be aligned in a
side slip (crosswind correction). Did I misread something?

No, you got it right. Apparently the OP doesn't quite have a handle or
doesn't understand what he's trying to teach.

more rudder to the right???? [email protected] Piloting 1 August 6th 08 04:09 PM
WTD. SGS 2-33 Rudder [email protected] Soaring 0 December 20th 06 04:31 AM
WTB. SGS 1-35 Rudder [email protected] Soaring 0 July 22nd 06 07:28 PM
c-152 rudder??? houstondan Owning 39 December 21st 04 09:21 PM
1-34 Rudder DGRTEK Soaring 23 February 16th 04 04:36 AM