Wright Replica Fails to Fly

Old December 23rd 03, 02:23 AM
Fred the Red Shirt

"Ugly Bob" wrote in message ...

I've also heard that the Wright brothers attempted to fly again in
Ohio in the spring or summer of 1904 and couldn't get off the ground.
Again the difference in elevation and temperature would be enough
to explain that.

Maybe they should have gone up to Toledo, Sandusky, or Cleveland and
flown off Lake Erie in January....

--

FF

Had they gotten airborne, Fred, would you have been able to see
them on your Raytheon AN/FPS-115 Phased Array Warning
System? Theoretically speaking, that is.

http://www.fas.org/spp/military/prog...k/pavepaws.htm

In 1904, no.

BTW, shouldn't you be out malletting some spammers?

--

FF
Old December 23rd 03, 03:35 AM
Jim Knoyle

"Jim Knoyle" wrote in message

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

"Mary Shafer" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:26:22 GMT, "Kevin Brooks"
wrote:

snip of idiot imnsulting poster

According to the guy who owned Learjet for a while, the weather

at
Kitty Hawk a hundred years ago did make a contribution to the

success
of the flight. There was high pressure and it was cold, so the
pressure altitude was negative. This would have improved

performance
a little.

You mean the guy who invented the 8-track?

I've seen the photos and read the diaries and he's right about

the
weather generally. I don't know about the barometer, though.

It's
an
interesting concept, at any rate.

The flyer probably weighed 1000 lbs, this week; as opposed to the

700
pound
original. (ie wet)

John, why are people ignoring the weight of the water? (rain)
It seems so basic to me, and I was just a trombone player
in the admiral's band!

You mean the tree hundred pounds I added for the soaked cloth?

Absolutely, and it had to make a BIG difference.
Reminds me of the first *water repellant* running suit I bought
back around '82, and it was heavy as hell, dry. Hot as hell inside
within the first mile, too. Can't recall the trade name offhand.
That was '80s technology. The replica, for sure, wasn't waterproof.

We had guys on my wrestling team in high school that ran in those rubber
looking suits to lose weight fast.

With a 28" waist and 145 lbs., training for the "Ironman", it was not
so good, but I sure could use it now! :-)
JK