soaring into the future

Old December 25th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default soaring into the future

I was browsing thru one of the Yahoo glider N.G.'s today and read
where the World Class design may get ressurected. That got me to
thinking:

What would the ideal recreational next generation sailplane sailplane
look like? I imagine it won't look much different from what we are
seeing now in terms of slender body shapes with sexy wingtip
treatments. And with the price of carbon fiber coming down, the
expanding growth of the composites industry and the rising use and
availability of CNC machining, it seems that there might be a niche
market for a good performing, lightweight sailplane that could be
tailored for the recreational market.

Would it make sense to put a 2 stroke motor in it for self launch? Or
maybe look at the ever expanding world of electric motors and
batteries? Right now there is an electric motor that weighs 4.5 pounds
and puts out close to 20HP! I've seen it, in fact I have held it in my
hands..........it is amazing. It seems that 2-strokes could easily
start being banned for noise, pollution and for just not being green
enough. So perhaps electric would be the logical and environmentally
"correct" way to go. The non-flying public I think will start looking
very critically at some point in the future at sports and other
"hobby" uses of fuel and pollution sources: we should be ready for
that if and when it happens, since right or
wrong.............perception is a key driver in formulating public
opinion.

Or maybe forget self-launching and consider winch, auto or bungee
launch. All these methods have and are being used successfully now,
but here in the US the Aero Tow still is the preferred way to get
airborn. However with rising fuel prices I really feel that at some
point a lot of us won't be able to cover the expense of an aero tow.
The infrastructure must be strongly considered for these "alternative"
launch methods, but I believe these are not insurmountable
obstacles.........we need to be ready when the real need arises.

Perhaps a combination of auto tow and a "sustainer" electric motor
might work; where the auto tow gets you airborn and then the electric
motor get's you up to the lift, and then home again if you need it.

Sure, there are a ton of sailplanes out there right now. And the
Russia, Apis, Silent, Sparrowhawk and probably several more would be
suitable for filling this niche. But if there is going to be a push to
create a new "World Class" design, maybe instead of just making it a
shortwinger and that's it, consider the whole package of what it takes
to operate and enjoy flying a sailpane, and how we could generate
excitement in our sport and see the ranks of glider pilots expand.

My personal choice would be a ship that utilizes the right materials
for the right areas; make it strong and light. Design a cockpit like
the Apis; roomy and comfortable. Utilize simple and functional design
methods that leverages on AC-4 and Apis manufacturing techniques. Use
full span flaperons and upper Schempp-Hirth airbrakes. Overlapping
spars that use 2 main wing pins and fore and aft lift pin/tube
treatments. Simple automatic control hookups like DG uses. The list
goes on........

I would write more...................but the Christmas Ham is almost
done and dinner is near.

Merry Christmas!
Brad
199AK

Old December 25th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 25 Dec, 21:11, Brad wrote:

What would the ideal recreational next generation sailplane sailplane
look like?

My guess is that things will continue much as they a ever more
sophisticated and beautiful aircraft, ever fewer pilots flying them.
Gliding - in the UK anyway - will continue its inexorable progress
from one of the cheapest air sports to one of the more expensive.

It would be nice if modern design and construction techniques could
trickle down to give us low priced gliders of moderate performance ...
but the abject failure of the PW-5 and world class suggests that this
isn't a commercially viable hope.

Ian
Old December 26th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Newill\ \Mario Lazaga\

On Dec 25, 4:11*pm, Brad wrote:
I was browsing thru one of the Yahoo glider N.G.'s today and read
where the World Class design may get ressurected. That got me to
thinking:

What would the ideal recreational next generation sailplane sailplane
look like? I

I think this is an excellent subject for discussion - with SSA at 75
years - what will soaring look like in 25 years?

My own contribution - and commenting on another persons post as well -
perhaps we go the way of skiing? Snowboards changed the age and number
of players on the slopes - so I think we need something that is the
"snowboard" of soaring-

How about a trainer that cannot go higher than 4 - 6 - 8 - 10 feet? if
one had a way to have a primary glider - with self launch capability
[ or tow down the wire with a winch?] and it could not go high enought
to cause great damage on rough landings - then maybe the teens could
teach themselves along side the runway while the big ships launch -
and then play on the runway ( yeah, I know that won't work at some
sites ) and "hop" into the air ten or twenty times in 30 minutes to
get the idea of basic controls and landing understood. The craft would
be something any club could assemble, not registered, and repaired by
anyone on the field with foam and (epoxy - duct tape - bolts and
clamps??) I have sketched up some ideas along these lines -

Another thought would be a super low cost simulator - projectors
costing ~ $500 today combined with software that connects to a stick
and rudder pedals and runs on a used computer could let the students
fly each part of the mission many times before getting into the air.
At the Memphis convention, one group reported that such a simulator
took a non-pilot to the point they were ready to fly with only five
flights in an ASK-21 !!! (They did go for a few more circuts before
solo - but all IP's on the field felt the student was completely
ready.) Anything that gets the student to solo in less time is the
right answer.

Finally, watch out for the "Chinese" and similar low labor cost sites
getting into the general aviation business. Once an India or China
decides that soaring and gliding are fun - beneficial to the
generation of new needed pilots - and sellable on the open market -
the europeans are going to need to focus on only the highest
performance and most costly machines.

Over to the next writer!
DBN
Old December 26th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

I'll vote for the use of simulators in training. There are sites using this
approach now and reporting good results.

Many students have fears about training maneuvers but they rarely tell their
instructors. Offering a syllibus where you teach each maneuver on a
simulator before performing it in the air removes this fear - and speeds
progress. I think this could reduce the many student dropouts. It also has
the benefit of keeping students and instructors busy in wintertime.

No simulator is a total and complete replacement for in-flight instruction
but they can be used to advantage.

Bill Daniels

Old December 26th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Dec 25, 4:11 pm, Brad wrote:

[...]

Simulators have some impact. Bill has used Condor as an effective
white board. YSA's was to move students ahead about six flights in
learning, not necessarily to solo earlier. Paul Moggach will have to
comment on whether they have achieved that. Their simulator budget
was a donated $25,000 for their Mk IV iteration as show on their web
site. I think the Mk I was at the convention. It was also used to
demonstarate instructor methods and outreach.

http://www.yorksoaring.com/FlightSimulator/ includes a short video.
Larger projection screens are now readily available.

Frank Whiteley
Old December 28th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 25 Dec, 23:05, "Newill\" \"Mario Lazaga\""
wrote:

How about a trainer that cannot go higher than 4 - 6 - 8 - 10 feet? if
one had a way to have a primary glider - with self launch capability
[ or tow down the wire with a winch?] and it could not go high enought
to cause great damage on rough landings - then maybe the teens could
teach themselves along side the runway while the big ships launch -
and then play on the runway ( yeah, I know that won't work at some
sites ) and "hop" into the air ten or twenty times in 30 minutes to
get the idea of basic controls and landing understood.

Traditional primaries (SG-38, Eon Primary, Slingsby T38 and lots more)
had an elevator stop for exactly this reason. Ground slides, low hops,
high hops, full launch. Ann Welch was one of the most vocal advocates
of two-seater training because of the high level of accidents and
injuries with solo training. However, modern design might improve
things a lot ... it would be interesting to see what a 2008 Primary
might look like.

Ian
Old December 28th 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

wrote:

[...]

I think the 2008 version of this is a flight simulator.

Bill Daniels

Old December 26th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The ideal recreational next generation sailplane?

Gliders that are self-launch and jet-powered.

Raul Boerner
DM
LS6-b
Old December 28th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 25 Dec, 23:39, wrote:
The ideal recreational next generation sailplane?

Gliders that are self-launch and jet-powered.

I can't see the point in jets, really. They are much better at higher
altitudes - when you get lower down you really need a propellor. Small
jet sustainers might be fun, though and the 200N thrust required to
keep a 1000kg 50:1 glider up should be quite achievable.

Ian
Old December 29th 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ian wrote: I can't see the point in jets, really... Small jet
sustainers might be fun, though.

Fun is the key word. Since we are wishing into the future, my thought
is that the small jet engine should be more reliable due to fewer
moving parts (likely just one). The weight should be less, the size
smaller, and operation should be smooth with little to no vibration.
Extension and retraction is quicker. Their drag profile is much
smaller; thus creating less of a problem if it extends but fails to
start. For repairs, it can be removed easily and put into a shoe box
to be mailed. All of these characteristics make for a great jet
sustainer, and hopefully an even better self-launcher.

I'm not an engineer, just a dreamer. But designers should be able to
come up with something small, powerful, reliable, simple, and of
course, inexpensive (sort of).

Raul Boerner