FLARM releases firmware for ADS-R and TIS-B

Old January 23rd 21, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Caldwell (BC)

Default FLARM releases firmware for ADS-R and TIS-B

On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 3:22:40 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
On Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 10:44:42 PM UTC-8, Ramy wrote:
On Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 10:06:19 AM UTC-8, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Ramy;

I am curious to know what your experience with fusion is also. What is your antenna set-up? Range get better or worse? coverage get better or worse? Did you have the same antenna set-up with the core prior to fusion (so we can compare the two boxes)?

Thanks,

Matt H

Matt, Charles, I wasn’t clear. I meant I was flying with the beta version of core with TIS-B and ADS-R before it was released last week. I don’t have the Fusion unit (yet). I am seriously considering it.

Ramy

I am considering upgrading to Fusion. If anyone is interested in my powerflarm core which includes all licenses including the new TIS-B/ADS-R for $1000 plus shipping please let me know.

Ramy

Has anyone tried the 7.03 Beta version which enables alerts associated with UAT targets?
Old January 24th 21, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

So, with this upgrade to PowerFlarm and LX Nav computer, am I likely then to start seeing the Air Force fighter jets that permeate the sailplane MOAs in Arizona? (tongue in cheek ideology there)
Old April 27th 21, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Some folks who installed the new license in a glider with only mode C transponder are reporting seeing “ghosting” of their own glider. This is expected when you don’t have ADS-B out.
You may or may not notice this issue, it is a combination of multiple things, mainly which transponder you have, your flarm display configuration, and how much experience you have with flarm. For example you may want to disable zoom to nearest if you have the ghosting issue and use manual zoom instead (my recomendation is to set it manually to 1-2 miles)
However if you still find it distracting, you can completely disable TIS-B. You will still benefit from ADS-R which relays UAT aircrafts (about half of GA aircrafts?) but you will not benefit from TIS-B which relays transponder only aircrafts (e.g. gliders without powerflarm).
To disable TIS-B (only relevant to those who purchased and installed the new license or purchased the new Powerflarm Fusion):
If you use the online configuration tool: https://flarm.com/support/tools-soft...iguration-tool, in advanced mode under "Rebroadcast Services" select "ADS-R Only".
If you use text editor, just add/update the following line in your config file:
$PFLAC,S,REBROADCASTSERVICES

Ramy