First time passenger in a GA plane - Video

Old November 10th 09, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ęslop

Default First time passenger in a GA plane - Video

"Ross" wrote in message
Ęslop wrote:
Got any advice on getting a reluctant wife to fly?

See if she would be willing to go with an instructor first without you?
Take baby steps.

It's not me (AFAIK), it's the small aircraft. But there's no harm in
offering. Thanks.

Old November 10th 09, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Nov 7, 10:17*pm, " wrote:
I post this 8 minute video with the hopes others can share tips on
what they do to make first time passengers comfortable on their first
flight. Comments here or in the video most appreciated.

Video starts with me explaining the process from startup, to runup,
take off, cruise and landing trying to keep things in "English" *Video
also includes in-flight reactions from the passenger.

Couple of things to note about the passenger. *She is not a roller
coaster ride and doen't like heights. *Because of this, I modified my
flying to half standard rate turns whenever possible and a steeper
then normal approach to not feel so close to the tree tops on short
final.

Interestingly enough, the camera doesn't show the "bouncing" but that
was due to me putting in flaps and transitioning from 10 knots winds
aloft to calm on the ground. *Rather then explain "wind-shear", I just
blamed it on the smog: We had very, very minimal turbulence, something
seasoned GA passengers wouldn't think about but looking at her, she
was kinda getting green around the gills.

Video also includes intercom and ATC communications with a
"sightseeing request" from me to fly over my house.

While not her favorite thing she has done in life, she was ok with
it. *Given a "goal" to go to New Orleans, I think she would go, but to
go boring holes in the sky, I don't think I will see her in the right
seat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfDNuuakA5o

Bumps are a bit harder at higher air speeds, so fly somewhat slower. I
also found mentioning 'another pair of eyes' is not a good thing for a
low time GA pax -- it induces an OMG fright response. I do, as you
did, talk about everything I am about to do, especially if it involves
a change in attitude or noise level. I had one first timer in the
right seat follow the motions of the yoke, and I talked my way through
each one. "OK, now we're going fast enough to fly, you can feel me
pulling on the yoke a little bit. . .feel that?.. and look, we're off
the ground!" that was followed by a "WOW". Then putting her hand on
the gear lever, saying 'push it to the side, then lift it up and that
will bring the wheels up" and I had a convert for life. I wonder, has
anyone had a right seat pax who just grabbed at the controls and
threatened the safety of the flight?
Old November 10th 09, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Nov 9, 12:12*pm, Ross wrote:

See if she would be willing to go with an instructor first without you?
Take baby steps.

Good advise Ross especially when probably most of the first time
passengers are taking their first ride with a newly minted pilot.

Your suggestion takes the "personal side" out and the instructor
probably can better assess the first timer more objectively and answer
the questions hopefully in a better way then I could myself.

Plus the flying experience of the instructor would hopefully make the
ride for the passenger a little more comfortable especially when the
rubber meets the road on landing. LOL
Old November 10th 09, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Nov 9, 7:46*pm, "Ęslop" wrote:

Yes. She flies "OK" on airlines. She just doesn't want to try a 182.

This makes me curious, did she try at all or did she try and have a
bad experience with a small plane?

Seems with flying it's "all or nothing" and while perfectly normal to
have more worries on a small plane with news media broadcasting "it's
raining small planes", and not unusual for one to be hesitant, with a
good experience, usually fears do diminish (probably never go away
which is not a bad thing either!).
Old November 10th 09, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Eric

wrote in message
Good advise Ross especially when probably most of the first time
passengers are taking their first ride with a newly minted pilot.

Your suggestion takes the "personal side" out and the instructor
probably can better assess the first timer more objectively and answer
the questions hopefully in a better way then I could myself.

Plus the flying experience of the instructor would hopefully make the
ride for the passenger a little more comfortable especially when the
rubber meets the road on landing. LOL

Good advice... assuming it's the right instructor!

When I was a student, we had a flight scheduled to practice slow flight, stalls, and steep turns.
So the appointed time comes, and my instructor arrives... with his girlfriend in tow. No problem, I
assume given she's his girlfriend she's been in a lightplane before. Nope... it was her first time!

At my instigation, the agenda for that day got changed to some much more tame maneuvers.

Eric Law

Old November 10th 09, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Nov 10, 8:50*am, "Eric" wrote:

At my instigation, the agenda for that day got changed to some much more tame maneuvers.

Eric Law

Got to give you credit for being PIC :-)))) even if you were "only a
student".

Bet it was a valuable lesson to be learned if not about flying, about
having to endure passenger reactions.

Old November 10th 09, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

"phole" == phole slop writes:

phole Got any advice on getting a reluctant wife to fly?

Why must she? Why insist on it?

--
"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
friend.... if you have one." - George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill
Old November 11th 09, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

wrote:
On Nov 8, 9:10 pm, "Ęslop" wrote:
Got any advice on getting a reluctant wife to fly?

/snip/

Talk things out, and NEVER say oops, crap, WTF when something is
amiss. Troubleshoot silently whenever possible. And of course, with
passengers, don't "surprise them" with any abrupt moves.

Hopefully others will chime in with other tips.

This reminds me that there is a person that may have been a pilot if it
were not for me. I had just gotten my PPSEL and my room mate at the time
wanted to go up and see what this was like. I have very few hours at the
time, probably less than 50. We went up and just did turns and straight
flight. He wanted to know what was the wildest thing you have to do to
get a license. I thought maybe it was the approach to landing stall. I
was telling him all the things I was doing and what was going to happen,
when the plane stalled just before I was to tell him the nose would
drop. He grabbed just about everything in the plane and want to go back
down immediately. I never could get him to go back up. When I got
married, I had my take lessons and she got though three solos before we
started having a family and put her lessons off. She was never afraid to
fly, but she could see no reason to go bore holes in the sky. Now, when
we used the plane to save 3 hours to travel one way to see the grand
kids, that was another story. That was OK.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old November 12th 09, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ęslop

"Bob Fry" wrote in message
"phole" == phole slop writes:

phole Got any advice on getting a reluctant wife to fly?

Why must she? Why insist on it?

She mustn't, and I am not insisting. I love my wife, and would like my wife
to fly with me. Not married, eh?