Jon Johanson stranded in Antartica....

Old December 12th 03, 02:23 AM
Ron Wanttaja

[Responding to two postings....]

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:37:38 -0800, "Richard Isakson"
wrote:

My brother over-wintered at Siple Station in Antartica about thirty years
ago. I called him today for his view on this. McMurdo Base is the main US
supply base for most US operations in Antartica. The New Zealand base is
"just around the corner, within walking distance". Most vehicles down there
run on diesel fuel but they would have some gasoline for Ski Doo type
vehicles.

The next question is, does the gasoline for the snow machines have alcohol
in it? Back when I was driving my '46 Willys in North Dakota, the engine
always ran very rough whenever the temperature went below zero. A can of
de-icer into the tank always cleared it up.

I don't know what model of Lycoming Johanson is running, but it's quite
possible he needs 100 octane, and almost a certainty that he needs fuel
*without* alcohol. May not have large stocks of that at McMurdo.

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 08:07:35 -0800, "Rich S."
wrote:

]"BllFs6" wrote:
]] While 80 gallons or so of fuel may not be much...we must ask a few
]] things....
]
]snip
]
]That must have been SOME headwind to burn an extra 80 gallons. . .

Ah, but *that's* where the meteobureaupolitical environment in Antarctica
comes to play. Here's a quote from an ex-Navy Antarctic C-130 pilot:

"At various times during the season one particular forecaster seemed to
have it out for the crews. He was in the unique position not only of
forecasting the weather but, as the NSF Duty Officer, of being responsible
for ensuring that all the missions scheduled on his watch went out on time.
So it was always suspect when--on his duty days, no matter what the actual
weather was-- all our forecasts were always exactly the weather minimums."
Page 68, _Flying Upside Down_, by Mark Hinebaugh

Johanson may have relied on a forecast that had been put together to
*enable* flight, not to warn pilots of actual conditions.

Ron Wanttaja
Old December 12th 03, 02:30 AM
Rich S.

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message

Ah, but *that's* where the meteobureaupolitical environment in Antarctica
comes to play. Here's a quote from an ex-Navy Antarctic C-130 pilot:

"At various times during the season one particular forecaster seemed to
have it out for the crews. He was in the unique position not only of
forecasting the weather but, as the NSF Duty Officer, of being responsible
for ensuring that all the missions scheduled on his watch went out on

time.
So it was always suspect when--on his duty days, no matter what the actual
weather was-- all our forecasts were always exactly the weather minimums."
Page 68, _Flying Upside Down_, by Mark Hinebaugh

Johanson may have relied on a forecast that had been put together to
*enable* flight, not to warn pilots of actual conditions.

I have *always* found that forecasts were professional, objective, and
clear. And always followed by the caveat, "VFR flight not recommended in
Western Washington".

Rich S.

Old December 12th 03, 03:43 AM
R. Hubbell

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:37:38 -0800 "Richard Isakson" wrote:

My brother over-wintered at Siple Station in Antartica about thirty years
ago. I called him today for his view on this. McMurdo Base is the main US
supply base for most US operations in Antartica. The New Zealand base is
"just around the corner, within walking distance". Most vehicles down there
run on diesel fuel but they would have some gasoline for Ski Doo type
vehicles. The main runway is built on sea ice and it will breakup within a
month. In January icebreakers will carve a path to McMurdo for supply ships
to get in but those ships are already loaded and on their way. Cruise ships
visit the area during the brief summer. My brother was surprised the they
made him sleep in the fuel shed. Even in the summer McMurdo has lots of

In the fuel shed? Nudge-nudge, *wink-wink*. Is he under constant
surveillance?

Sounds like really poor planning. Ever see the movie "Deer Hunter"?

R. Hubbell

Old December 16th 03, 06:40 AM
Big John

Have a solution to the dumb *******s problem.

NZ is in the Coalition (they have 50 or so engineers rebuilding - not
in combat organizations).

In the joy running around the States and World with capture of SH it
would be an excellent time to pay NZ back for their (unpopular beating
around the world for being a member of the Coalition) support and have
them ask for something in return. Who know? Stranger things have
happened if GVT of NZ gets in the act.

Big John

My personal bottom line sure doesn't hold him out as a RESPONSIBLE
PILOT and he definitely is not a poster boy for GA (or experimental)
flight.

I can see his book now on how he worked the system.

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 02:38:05 GMT, John Ammeter
wrote:

Jon Johanson, known for his round the world flights in his
RV-4 as well as flights to Oshkosh may have some trouble
getting out of Antartica....

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../adventurer_dc

Old December 16th 03, 01:26 PM
Jerry Springer

Big John wrote:
Have a solution to the dumb *******s problem.

NZ is in the Coalition (they have 50 or so engineers rebuilding - not
in combat organizations).

In the joy running around the States and World with capture of SH it
would be an excellent time to pay NZ back for their (unpopular beating
around the world for being a member of the Coalition) support and have
them ask for something in return. Who know? Stranger things have
happened if GVT of NZ gets in the act.

Big John

My personal bottom line sure doesn't hold him out as a RESPONSIBLE
PILOT and he definitely is not a poster boy for GA (or experimental)
flight.

I can see his book now on how he worked the system.

Once again you speak about something you do not have a clue about.

Old December 17th 03, 12:32 AM
Morgans

"Jerry Springer" wrote

My personal bottom line sure doesn't hold him out as a RESPONSIBLE
PILOT and he definitely is not a poster boy for GA (or experimental)
flight.

I can see his book now on how he worked the system.

Once again you speak about something you do not have a clue about

########################

Jerry, can't you see that you don't have to have a clue about what was done,
to have an opinion?

John's "opinion" is no less valid than your opinion. What has been done has
been done. What the solution is, is irrelevant. His tit is in the sling,
and he is in their house. That makes them right. If he does not like it he
can leave.

Oh, what's that, you say? He can't leave? Oh yea!!!

Did I say they hold all the cards? They do. That is not opinion. What you
and I think is irrelevant. They call the shots. Period. In the meantime,
insulting others does nothing but make you look foolish.

Have a nice day!
--
Jim in NC

Old December 17th 03, 12:14 AM
Blueskies

He's flown out by now

--
Dan D.

..

"Jerry Springer" wrote

Old December 17th 03, 01:49 AM
Jerry Springer

Morgans wrote:
"Jerry Springer" wrote

[...]

Jim if any of you had a clue you would have known he left a couple days ago.

Old December 17th 03, 04:02 AM
Big John

Jerry

Since you had the CLUE why didn't you post two days ago?

No matter, the end of the story he pulled a dumb assed stunt.

When I was Current Ops for USAFSO, we had some support activities to
the operation down there so I am talking from more than just my
opinions as was stated prior.

Big John

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 01:49:06 GMT, Jerry Springer
wrote:

"Jerry Springer" wrote

Old December 16th 03, 01:48 PM
Larry Smith

"Little Bitty Big John" hurled in message
Have a solution to the dumb *******s problem.
[..] My personal bottom line sure doesn't hold him out as a RESPONSIBLE
PILOT and he definitely is not a poster boy for GA (or experimental)
flight.

I can see his book now on how he worked the system.

Hey, you cantankerous old weasel, call FAA and revoke his ticket.