Headset music

Old April 22nd 04, 02:36 AM
Neil Bratney

Default Headset music

Hello all,

I'm getting set for my second solo cross country in training for my PP.
Looking at my headset, my Lightspeed 30-3G has a port on the ANR box
where I can attach a portable CD player for music. The headset is
supposed to automatically mute the music when comm comes in from the radio.

This sounds like a good idea to enhance my long distance flying
experience, but I'm just concerned that I'm going to miss important ATC
instructions. Or worse, that Omaha Approach is going to get an earful
of Foo Fighters or Pearl Jam when I transmit out to them!

So does anyone have experience with headsets like this? Do they work as
well as advertised? Any tips?

Thanks a ton,
Neil Bratney

Old April 22nd 04, 03:03 AM
Jim Fisher

"Neil Bratney" wrote in message
I'm getting set for my second solo cross country in training for my PP.

I had an interesting experience last week.

I was a judge at a regional high school science fair competition recently.
One student's project was to find out if her parents were right about not
being able to concentrate while listening to music. She aimed to prove them
wrong.

She lost.

She had a couple dozen students look at some pictures while listening to
various types of music. The control group listened to silence. Each
subject was given a certain amount of time to study the pictures (of a
toaster, car, cat, dog, etc . . .) and was required to attempt to recall as
many pictures as possible afterwards.

The control group listening to silence scored highest. There was an
insignificant difference between silence and classical music. There was a
much lower score for those listening to pretty much everything else (rap,
country, rock and so on).

Bottom line is that you have plenty to concentrate heavily upon during your
first hundred or two hours. I'm all for rocking-out once you get some
significant experience. But, for now, you need 110% of your brain cells
focused on the many tasks involved with flying your first long solo.

Scrap the idea of in-flight music and come back to it when you've learned
everything.

--
Jim Fisher

Old April 22nd 04, 04:18 AM
John T

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message

Scrap the idea of in-flight music and come back to it when you've
learned everything.

"Learned everything"?

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old April 22nd 04, 04:38 AM
Teacherjh

Scrap the idea of in-flight music and come back to it when you've
learned everything.

"Learned everything"?

There's a controller here who can tell you about that. g,d

Jose

Old April 22nd 04, 10:55 AM
Thomas Borchert

Neil,

So does anyone have experience with headsets like this? Do they work as
well as advertised? Any tips?

The muting is switchable. Be sure to switch it on. Otherwise, it all works
great.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 22nd 04, 11:53 AM
Bob Martin

Bottom line is that you have plenty to concentrate heavily upon during your
first hundred or two hours. I'm all for rocking-out once you get some
significant experience. But, for now, you need 110% of your brain cells
focused on the many tasks involved with flying your first long solo.

Scrap the idea of in-flight music and come back to it when you've learned
everything.

Don't think it's possible to have learned _everything_... but I would
wait on the music for a while. I remember my first solo xc; I needed
all the concentration I could get (and then some; that's why it took
me the first 40 miles to figure out why the plane kept going
off-course to the left--my left foot was resting on the rudder pedals
and slowly causing me to turn that way).

And regardless, I wouldn't go using music if I had to listen to ATC.
I guess it's only suited for cruising around VFR on a good day--or
when you're taxiing out and decide to play the first part of "Danger
Zone" grin
Old April 22nd 04, 01:43 PM
Richard Russell

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 20:36:01 -0500, Neil Bratney
wrote:

Hello all,

I'm getting set for my second solo cross country in training for my PP.
Looking at my headset, my Lightspeed 30-3G has a port on the ANR box
where I can attach a portable CD player for music. The headset is
supposed to automatically mute the music when comm comes in from the radio.

This sounds like a good idea to enhance my long distance flying
experience, but I'm just concerned that I'm going to miss important ATC
instructions. Or worse, that Omaha Approach is going to get an earful
of Foo Fighters or Pearl Jam when I transmit out to them!

So does anyone have experience with headsets like this? Do they work as
well as advertised? Any tips?

Thanks a ton,
Neil Bratney

I got my PPL last summer and have around 100 hours so this is coming
from a low-time pilot. Also, I don't mean to present this in an "I'm
right, this is the only way it can work" manner.

That being said, I cannot imagine any circumstance that I would feel
comfortable interjecting music into my brain while I'm flying. I
require 100% of my available thought processing capability to be
allocated to insuring that the flight is being conducted properly and
safely. I remember when the first Walkman type radios came out I got
one and sat down to read a book. I read the same page over and over
again and it didn't compute. I actually had to learn how to read with
this music being injected directly into my brain. I read all the time
now with headphones on but I will not fly with music. Perhaps someday
I will.

Two things that always amaze me (and make me wonder if my brain is
shortchanging me) are student pilots listening to music and student
pilots snapping photos on their cross country flights, especially
final approach photos. I recommend saving that stuff until you're
old, bold pilots. Fly the plane! Just my $.02.

Rich Russell
Old April 22nd 04, 02:08 PM
Todd Pattist

"John T" wrote:

Scrap the idea of in-flight music and come back to it when you've
learned everything.

"Learned everything"?

"become familiar with *all* available information" FAR
91.103 :-)
Todd Pattist
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)
___
Make a commitment to learn something from every flight.
Share what you learn.
Old April 22nd 04, 02:47 PM
Jay Honeck

That being said, I cannot imagine any circumstance that I would feel
comfortable interjecting music into my brain while I'm flying.

Go fly 1000 miles this weekend. In most spam cans, that will take about
ten hours, give or take.

The first five hours, fly without music. The second five hours, fly with
music.

If, after this experience, you can still make your statement with such
absolute conviction, I will be very surprised.

On our trip home from Sun N Fun, we pulled a 4 hour leg. Our PS Engineering
CD player makes these kinds of flights MUCH more fun, especially with two
kids in the back seats. (Of course, having to listen to Eminem once in a
while was some sort of penance... :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 22nd 04, 04:40 PM
Brad Z

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Go fly 1000 miles this weekend. In most spam cans, that will take about
ten hours, give or take.

not quite the same as a student pilot solo cross country flight.