For those of you who self studied... What did you use?

Old April 25th 04, 12:15 AM
DP

I used Rod Machado's PP manual.... it works well for the BFR too...
used online test prep sites like risingup.com. There are other out
there too that I don't remember the names, but watch out as most of
them do have some wrong answers....

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 18:19:40 GMT, "Anthony L" wrote:

Hello everyone...pretty simple question. I am interested in doing
self-study for my ground school. I feel like I would do better at my own
pace, and I have a lot of experience working with industry certifications at
home, so I don't think I will lose any quality training.

I have read about many different companies that sell self-study packages. I
have received paperwork from Sporty, King, and some other one's via email.
Does anyone have any comments on the different packages? Anyone want to
recommend one over the other, or are they all just about the same? Any
specific packages you would suggest, maybe comeplete with practice tests and
such?

Thanks from a new Student Pilot!
Anthony

Don Paquette
PP-ASEL
N9723X
Old April 25th 04, 01:58 AM
C J Campbell

King tapes, ASA practice exams and Gleim books.

Old April 25th 04, 02:24 AM
Don Tuite

Langeweishe and Kershner.

Don
Old April 25th 04, 03:02 AM
G.R. Patterson III

I used the Jepessen Private Pilot Manual for the basic information and a red "study
guide" for the cramming portion. I think the latter is by Gleim, but I'm not sure. In
any case, I see it at just about every FBO.

I studied the Jep book on my own through several months of my training. Read it
through several times. Then I went through the study manual, answering all the
questions over a period of about two weeks in my spare time. I was not real pleased
with the results; on the second pass, I seemed to do just as badly. So, I locked
myself in the house one weekend and did nothing but eat, sleep, and work the
questions in the study guide over and over again (I'm deadly serious about that). At
10:00 the following Monday, I was at the testing office.

I passed.

George Patterson
If you don't tell lies, you never have to remember what you said.
Old April 25th 04, 07:02 AM
Morgans

"Kyle Boatright" wrote

That said, IF I'm interested in a subject, I can pick up the relevant
information in a single reading, which isn't true for everyone.

KB

Pick up what?
Jim in NC

---

Old April 25th 04, 06:09 PM
Darrell

Just go to an aviation supply store and look through the available study
packages. I did that for my Instrument Instructor test and still got 100%
on the exam. Sometimes you will have to do a little convincing if you want
to use a school's facilities to take the exam. They say if their failure
rate gets too high they will lose their certification. Since I didn't go
through their program I had to assure them I would get a good grade. They
only charged me for administrating the test itself.

I did it the same way for my Commercial, ATP, Ground Instructor, CFI, etc.
(written exams only)

As a note, I got my Commercial/Instrument as a then-current Air Force pilot
by just taking the civilian regulations/procedures written exam. The
problem: I was then only current in the B-52 so they issued me a
multi-engine certificate. I couldn't afford to rent a multi-engine for
private trips so I had to go to the fixed base operator in Minot, ND to get
single engine privileges on my license. (early 1960s)

The FBO guy was surprised. He'd seen lots of guys with single engine rating
applying for multi engine ratings but never the reverse like me.

--

B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
-

Old April 27th 04, 03:41 AM
Journeyman

In article 0dyic.14841$YP5.1090710@attbi_s02, Anthony L wrote:
Hello everyone...pretty simple question. I am interested in doing
self-study for my ground school. I feel like I would do better at my own

You have two separate objectives. To pass the test, any FAA test, I'd
use the relevent Gleim book. Some people prefer interactive software,
etc, but the book works best for me. Just make as many passes over it
as you need to get all the questions. Make sure you understand the
answers.

To know what you actually need to know, any book will do. The
Machado book has a higher humor content but that makes it a longer
read to cover the same material. I've read several different books,
which give different perspective and repetition of the material.
Others will have their preferences. I think Bob Gardner who posts
here has one (I've several of his books, including "Say Again, Please"
which I've given to Lonny to teach her some of the radio work).

You will also need to read the regs (FARs), and the Aeronautical
Information Manual (AIM).

Since I don't have a photographic memory, I try to read some text
and/or the FAR/AIM once a year.

Morris (with an overflowing input queue)