diagram of a fuel servo

Old November 10th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Default diagram of a fuel servo

My fuel servo is coming back from the shop. I wish I better understood
how they work. One day my plane just stated running so rich that I
could almost not keep the engine runnnig. I was pulling about 7GPH at
1500 (normal is about 3). However, if I shutdown and restarted it would
run correctly about 10% of the time.
So the fuel shop received it and noticed the FF was too high. They
replaced a spring and got the flows in line. However, now I'm worried
that they fixed the 90% case and not the 10% case (which was normal).
If they replaced a spring with a lighter spring, how would that solve
the issue? Why did this happen all of the sudden? Why isn't it
consistant? My plane has been down for 3 weeks now and I fear I'll get
the unit back and it won't work and I'll be down even longer (with a
full FF overhaul). The fuel servo has 900 SFNEW.

Is there an on-line diagram of a fuel servo? I'd like to better
understand how the springs, diaphrams, etc work. I'm told there are
only a few moving parts, but not sure what they are.

-Robert, M20F

Old November 10th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jim Macklin

Google for "Bendix fuel flow divider" and you'll find pages
such as
http://www.dgsupply.com/trouble.html and especially
http://www.precisionairmotive.com/rsasupport.htm

For a full description get FAA AC 65-12A, which is on-line.
Chapter 3 has what you want.

oups.com...

Old November 10th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Jim Macklin wrote:
Google for "Bendix fuel flow divider" and you'll find pages
such as
http://www.dgsupply.com/trouble.html and especially
http://www.precisionairmotive.com/rsasupport.htm

For a full description get FAA AC 65-12A, which is on-line.
Chapter 3 has what you want.

I didn't see a diagram of the servo in the above link. I found the AC
(which was very interesting) but it seemed to only talk about carbs.

-Robert

Old November 10th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jim Macklin

It talks about all types of systems, scroll further.

Old November 10th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Jim Macklin wrote:
It talks about all types of systems, scroll further.

Cool, thanks! It looks like all the movable parts are part of the
spring. I guess its possible the spring was hanging up or something.
The shop said the mixture control is a moving part but that its a very
simple ball that turns and doesn't cause problems. I'll cross my
fingers that its fixed. If so, I got of easy. $160 plus R&R. If not,
I'll be looking at $1500 plus R&R.

-Robert

Old November 11th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jim Macklin

Glad to help. The FAA manuals, 65-9, 65-12, and 65-15 are
on-line as is 43-13. You can also find a lot of
manufactures stuff if you search well and pick the proper
terms.