Poll: electrical connector crimpers/dies

Old October 5th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Burns[_1_]

Default Poll: electrical connector crimpers/dies

I'm wondering which "professional" electrical connector crimpers are amoung
the groups favorites and most used.

I've got a couple pair of "no-name service crimpers" but I'd like to buy a
pair of high quality crimpers for 10awg-26awg terminal crimps.

Thanks!
Jim

Old October 6th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Default electrical connector crimpers/dies

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
I'm wondering which "professional" electrical connector crimpers are amoung
the groups favorites and most used.

I've got a couple pair of "no-name service crimpers" but I'd like to buy a
pair of high quality crimpers for 10awg-26awg terminal crimps.

You can never go wrong with Klein. (Is that how it is spelled? )
--
Jim in NC

Old October 6th 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
abripl[_1_]

Even with high quality crimpers I don't trust the connection and will
normally soldier the wire to the terminal in addition to the crimp. I
have seen one too many crimps get loose to depend on them. Your
electrical connections are on top of the critical list in flying
safety.... poor wiring can cause equipment failures, electrical fires,
igniting leaky fuel, etc.
SQ2000 canard http://www.abri.com/sq2000

Old October 6th 06, 06:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Robert Murray

Either AMP "red & blues" P/N 59250; or Daniels HX4 with Y501 dies. The
Daniels tools are often on eBay, and reasonably priced as pro tools go. The
AMP crimper is harder to find and more expensive. The AMP crimpers are in
my AOG bag, and the Daniels' are in the big toolbox because they can be used
on coax too.

Bob

Old October 6th 06, 11:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dave[_2_]

"abripl" wrote in message
ups.com...
Even with high quality crimpers I don't trust the connection and will
normally soldier the wire to the terminal in addition to the crimp. I
have seen one too many crimps get loose to depend on them. Your

I used to think this way. The fact is that a properly crimped terminal is
superior to a soldered one for many reasons. Soldering is an art (a dying
one) that few have mastered. To get a proper connection without wicking
solder past the point where wires flex and avoid cold joints is hard for
inexperienced persons. Crimped terminals are easier to learn. I use an AMP
crimper for almost all my terminating work now and will when I wire the
plane. It's been proven over and over that crimped terminals are gastight
and reliable more often than soldered. You still have to learn what you're
doing.

There are a couple of sites that explore this and offer opinion. As you may
expect they are not united, many prefer soldering. Try
http://www.areoelectric.com for some insight.

Old October 6th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
tscheevel

The following has a short discussion about wire, terminals, and
crimpers. Scroll about 1/3 of the way down the page:

http://flycorvair.com/hangar1005.html

Old October 6th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
abripl[_1_]

Crimped terminals are easier to learn.....

Thats probably the main reason why so many in aviation use it. I can
see the average person trying to solder with a clunky, 100W, steaming
iron and doing a bad job. With crimping there is "little" to learn. But
soldering is hardly a dying art. Zillions of hams, electronic buffs,
use it. A decent temperature controlled soldering iron with a little
practice will prevent wicking past the terminal into the wires - and
not really a problem in most cases. Cold joints can be inspected and
redone. Two big reasons for soldering: 1. Vibration - a real problem in
aviation, promotes crimps loosening. 2. Oxydation/Corrosion, especially
with disimilar metals - seen lots of corroded crimps while soldered
terminals are still holding.

Old October 6th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dave[_2_]

While solder may be alive and well in terms of soldering solid lead
components to a PCB, that is not what we are talking about. Soldering
stranded wire is a completely different thing and it is absolutely falling
out of fashion. Partly due to the skill needed to solder without wicking
past the strain relief, partly economics in the case of manufacturers. It
also cannot be "redone" as once the solder is into the wire you can't get it
out. I'm no saint in these matters, I soldered two wires together in a butt
joint yesterday. I'm simply giving you the truth, the joint I just made
would generally be better, and more reliable in a properly done crimped
connector. I've been soldering joints for over 35 years for a living and I
know how to do it, but I've learned through experience and industry
demonstration that crimping is a better way.

It's a matter of belief, if you absolutely have faith that you can do it
better than Boeing and all the other factories who am I to disagree with
you.

As for your list, vibration cannot loosen a crimp, but will break solid wire
or wire made solid with solder in short order. Corrosion, a properly done
crimp is absolutely gas tight, and will not corrode. If you'd like to
compare badly soldered VS badly crimped you're on your own, there are too
many variables when you do it wrong.

ups.com...

Old October 6th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

I have always soldered, cleaned and covered with heatshrink. I have NEVER
had a problem with soldered electrical terminals. On the other hand, I have
had many problems with crimped terminals done by others. As I get older, I
need one of those soldering jigs with a BIG magnifying glass.

Soldering is easy to learn and much more secure than crimped terminals.

Bill Daniels

ups.com...