Downloading Flying Music

Old January 26th 04, 06:03 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Downloading Flying Music

We've got the PS Engineering CD/Intercom in our plane, and listen to CDs on
long trips.

I am obviously slipping into "dinosaur" status, as I have never downloaded
music, for "burning" onto a blank CD. I *have* burned CDs, but I've always
done it from tracks played off of another CD.

Does anyone here download (and then burn) CDs for listening while in flight?
Any recommended sites? Tips? Are these things still free, or did all the
freebies get sued out of existence? Thanks!

BTW: We've got FOUR new additions to the Rec.Aviation Rogue's Gallery!
They a

- The famous (infamous?) Badwater Bill Phillips, and the zillion planes he's
flown...
- Ross Richardson and his super 180 hp 172!
- CJ Campbell, world-famous flight instructor, and his fabulous 206!
- Bryan Chaisone, and his cool Robinson R-22 helicopter...

See all these guys at http://www.alexisparkinn.com/rec_aviation.htm .
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 26th 04, 10:43 PM
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
Does anyone here download (and then burn) CDs for listening while
in flight? Any recommended sites? Tips?

I've heard that many people use KaZaa. I've also heard that they avoid
the full-blown KaZaa, which I've heard loads up your pc with spyware and
other junk. I've heard they use KaZaa Lite, instead:

http://www.kazaalite.com/

Are these things still free, or did all the
freebies get sued out of existence?

I've heard it's still free - until the record industry sues you. I've
heard they only go after people who have thousands of files on their
pc's available for sharing.
--
Dude
C999RG at BZZ

Old January 27th 04, 12:49 AM
JerryK

Jay,

Consider a MP3 player like a Ipod. You can put your whole CD collection on
the device, or download music from a

Old January 27th 04, 01:09 AM
Jeff P

You still can get free music on sites like Kaaza, but they will really
junk up your computer with pop ups, spy ware, and all kinda other crap
you really don't want. I would steer away from these today. If you
are interested, search for P2P (peer to peer) downloads on a site like
zdnet.com.

For a legal and safer alternative, I really like the Apple itunes
(www.itunes.com) site for purchasing music. The songs are $.99 each,
the quality is perfect, and the site is safe.

Jeff
Old January 27th 04, 01:37 AM
Jeff

Be careful downloading music online, the music companies are filing lawsuits
against people, they filed 500 more last week.

Old January 27th 04, 04:01 AM
Jay Honeck

Be careful downloading music online, the music companies are filing
lawsuits
against people, they filed 500 more last week.

How in the world can they figure out who is downloading what?

I've done a little research into this "Soulseek" site this evening, and it
would seem to be pretty bulletproof, from a security standpoint.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 27th 04, 08:13 AM
Ricky Robbins

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 04:01:21 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

How in the world can they figure out who is downloading what?

I've done a little research into this "Soulseek" site this evening, and it
would seem to be pretty bulletproof, from a security standpoint.

Speaking of free stuff, you can get free towels at hotels; no need to
pay for those, either.

Ricky
Old January 27th 04, 10:36 AM
Dan Thompson

I've been using www.buymusic.com Songs are about a buck apiece. Whole
albums are about ten-twelve bucks. You get "wma" files which are like mp3s,
but have a tracking feature that gives you permission to move them between
computers, CDs you burn, and portable devices a limited number of times,
which can vary between 1 to 5 times depending on something, not sure what.
Hasn't been an issue yet. Completely legal, fast and reliable, compared to
Kazaa Lite.

To get around the wma permission hassles, the buymusic.com files can be
burned to a CD, then ripped back to unrestricted mp3s, but that is kind of a
hassle.

I've tried Apple's Itunes but its file format does not play on my portable
mp3 player. I also have a gift card from the new legal Napster site that I
haven't tried yet. My teenager says it's good too. He's my in-house
authority on all things mp3.

Old January 27th 04, 12:46 PM
Jay Honeck

Speaking of free stuff, you can get free towels at hotels; no need to
pay for those, either.

Actually, we have your credit card or a cash deposit before you set foot in
your suite.

Any towels missing or destroyed? Ka-CHING! :-)

(It can actually be a profit center, if done properly....)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Flying with music? caroline Aerobatics 0 September 18th 04 03:13 AM
Mountain flying instruction: McCall, Idaho, Colorado too! [email protected] General Aviation 0 March 26th 04 11:24 PM
Downloading Flying Music? Jay Honeck Home Built 59 February 4th 04 06:08 AM
FA: WEATHER FLYING: A PRACTICAL BOOK ON FLYING The Ink Company Aviation Marketplace 0 November 5th 03 12:07 AM