Lucky to be alive?

Old January 3rd 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
M[_1_]

Default Lucky to be alive?

Peter R. wrote:

The FAA's website lists this pilot as a non-instrument rated, newly
certificated private pilot.

Actually, the "date of issue" listed on the FAA website doesn't
necessarily reflect the time when someone is first issued a grade of
certificate for the ratings listed. Anytime FAA re-issues the same
certificate for any reason (name change, certificate number change to
remove SSI, etc) the DOI will change on the airman record.

I know this from my personal experience (twice).

This is in no way a defense of Mr. DUCATTE's VFR into IMC stunt,
however.

Old January 3rd 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

M wrote:

Actually, the "date of issue" listed on the FAA website doesn't
necessarily reflect the time when someone is first issued a grade of
certificate for the ratings listed. Anytime FAA re-issues the same
certificate for any reason (name change, certificate number change to
remove SSI, etc) the DOI will change on the airman record.

Yep, you are correct. My mistake.

--
Peter
Old January 3rd 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 12:19:02 -0700, Newps wrote:

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

He needs his ticket yanked and I'll bet his instructor has a meeting with
the FSDO as well.

Why would you think that?

Are you asking about the first or second part of my statement.

The second. What interest would the FAA have in the instructor?

Oh they do, they do.... Low time pilot, big time screw up. They are
most likely going to want to have a talk with the instructor. We've
had that happen a couple of times in the past few years and the screw
up weren't nearly that bad. No one was hurt and the airplanes could
be reused...after a bit of work. Both a 150 and a 172 had shoulders
put in the wings and another 150 was totaled all from the same FBO
which was really hard on his insurance rates.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old January 3rd 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"M" wrote in message
ups.com...
Peter R. wrote:

The FAA's website lists this pilot as a non-instrument rated, newly
certificated private pilot.

Actually, the "date of issue" listed on the FAA website doesn't
necessarily reflect the time when someone is first issued a grade of
certificate for the ratings listed. Anytime FAA re-issues the same
certificate for any reason (name change, certificate number change to
remove SSI, etc) the DOI will change on the airman record.

I know this from my personal experience (twice).

This is in no way a defense of Mr. DUCATTE's VFR into IMC stunt,
however.

That's true. But the original story led said he was a fairly new pilot or
words to that effect.

Old January 4th 07, 07:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 17:29:41 -0500, "Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea
Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote:

"601XL Builder" wrDOTgiacona@suddenlinkDOTnet wrote in message
john smith wrote:
Family’s faith stronger after plane crash
Worthington couple, kids walk away after aircraft goes down in North
Carolina fog
Monday, January 01, 2007

Mr. Ducatte, a chemist at Battelle, has a basic pilot’s license and has
been flying a few years. He said he is thankful for his flight
instructor, Chuck Miele.

He needs his ticket yanked and I'll bet his instructor has a meeting with
the FSDO as well.

From the description, it sounds like he attempted VFR over the top of the
overcast - I assume he was counting on a hole somewhere near the
destination? Perhaps he had a favorable forcast for somewhere down the way?

The funny thing is that I have heard others on this newsgroup (or perhaps,
r.a.student) talk about doing exactly the same thing with not much of a
reaction. I guess they got away with it.

VFR over the top here in the states is quite common.

But, I will aggree, he has a real problem with getthereitis. Lucky a whole
bunch of people didn't end up dead.

Old January 4th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote:

"601XL Builder" wrDOTgiacona@suddenlinkDOTnet wrote in message

He needs his ticket yanked and I'll bet his instructor has a meeting
with
the FSDO as well.

From the description, it sounds like he attempted VFR over the top of the
overcast - I assume he was counting on a hole somewhere near the
destination? Perhaps he had a favorable forcast for somewhere down the
way?

The funny thing is that I have heard others on this newsgroup (or perhaps,
r.a.student) talk about doing exactly the same thing with not much of a
reaction. I guess they got away with it.

VFR over the top here in the states is quite common.

So then, why is everyone trying to get on this guy's case. Because his luck
ran out?

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old January 4th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote:

"601XL Builder" wrDOTgiacona@suddenlinkDOTnet wrote in message

He needs his ticket yanked and I'll bet his instructor has a meeting
with
the FSDO as well.

From the description, it sounds like he attempted VFR over the top of the

overcast - I assume he was counting on a hole somewhere near the
destination? Perhaps he had a favorable forcast for somewhere down the
way?

The funny thing is that I have heard others on this newsgroup (or perhaps,
r.a.student) talk about doing exactly the same thing with not much of a
reaction. I guess they got away with it.

VFR over the top here in the states is quite common.

So then, why is everyone trying to get on this guy's case. Because his luck
ran out?

Because it sounded like the descended through an area of less than VFR
visibility (maybe even through a cloud layer, I don't recall the
specifics) and crashed. That has nothing to do wtih flying VFR above a
cloud layer.

Matt
Old January 4th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
"Roger" wrote in message

So then, why is everyone trying to get on this guy's case. Because his
luck ran out?

Because it sounded like the descended through an area of less than VFR
visibility (maybe even through a cloud layer, I don't recall the
specifics) and crashed. That has nothing to do wtih flying VFR above a
cloud layer.

"A recorded message from the Asheville airport said there was 1,000 feet
of clearance between the clouds and ground."

So he is a moron, should have his ticket yanked, etc. etc. because his luck
ran out and he didn't find the VFR he was expecting?

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old January 4th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:

"Roger" wrote in message

So then, why is everyone trying to get on this guy's case. Because his
luck ran out?

Because it sounded like the descended through an area of less than VFR
visibility (maybe even through a cloud layer, I don't recall the
specifics) and crashed. That has nothing to do wtih flying VFR above a
cloud layer.

"A recorded message from the Asheville airport said there was 1,000 feet
of clearance between the clouds and ground."

So he is a moron, should have his ticket yanked, etc. etc. because his luck
ran out and he didn't find the VFR he was expecting?

Funny, I don't flight plan with luck as a requirement for a successful
outcome. To me anyone who does that shouldn't be a pilot so that is
reason enough to yank his ticket.

Anyone flying VFR over the top should have a pretty good plan B and
probably a plan C as well. My plan B is being instrument rated, but
since he wasn't, he should have had another plan B such as VMC elsewhere
within range of his airplane.

Matt

Matt
Old January 4th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Matt Whiting schrieb:

Because it sounded like the descended through an area of less than VFR
visibility (maybe even through a cloud layer, I don't recall the
specifics) and crashed.

No, it clearly sonded that he tried to stay on top but was washed down
into the soup.

That has nothing to do wtih flying VFR above a cloud layer.

That has everything to do with flying VFR above a cloud layer.

Lucky to be alive? john smith Piloting 0 January 1st 07 04:30 PM
Lucky folks David Lesher Owning 9 August 5th 05 02:11 PM
401TFW/614TFS Lucky Devils in the Gulf War MKopack Military Aviation 0 July 7th 05 06:35 PM
~ I WISH RONALD REAGAN WAS STILL ALIVE ~ ArtKramr Military Aviation 1 June 9th 04 12:49 AM
Let's keep BLIPMap alive Martin Hellman Soaring 0 September 7th 03 07:11 PM