I learned about flying from this, too...

Old February 9th 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Default I learned about flying from this, too...

Ken,

I specified smart pilots,

Yep. I noticed.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old February 9th 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Why try to defend time-
consuming and traffic-paralyzing runway inspections, when thousands
are dying due to other far more common failures?

Because the man likes to talk a walk. He told us so.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old February 9th 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
WingFlaps

On Feb 7, 9:44*am, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

I almost hit a flock of birds, following rotation,
on my checklist was added, watch for berties.
The runway was well treed on both sides and
my bird must have scared them up, and they
flocked over the runway.
I flattened the descent and eased back the
throttle.
Ken

Did you stall too -that would have really scared the birds off. You
could also try throwing your model aviation gas at them. How about one
of your ballistic missiles?

Cheers
Old February 9th 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
WingFlaps

On Feb 7, 11:08*am, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

Well I mentioned I had an IP in the right seat.
(Bob Burton out of the Oshawa Flying Club,
he's the best I ever had, he liked to have fun).

I hope you used protection. You can't be too careful these days.

Cheers
Old February 9th 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
WingFlaps

On Feb 7, 11:24*am, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

If it happened once, it will happen again, just a
matter of time.

I didn't know Concorde was still flying.

Cheers
Old February 9th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
WingFlaps

On Feb 8, 11:27*am, Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:
On Feb 7, 9:43*pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

Hi Al G.

On Feb 7, 1:27 pm, "Al *G" wrote:

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in ...

Hi BIG HEAD, (Dan).

On Feb 7, 12:11 pm, wrote:
On Feb 6, 3:24 pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

More than likely, a superficial runway inspection,
either by the controllers, the pilots or anyone
walking the runway would have noticed that debris
that destroyed the Concorde, and costed a $Billion.

*What you're not aware of, apparently, is that airports have
maintenance people in vehicles. These people periodically drive the
runways, when traffic is slow, to check for any dropped items and for
other issues. Airplanes do not regularly lose things, and if they do,
other pilots will usually spot them during their operations and tell
the controllers, who send the maintenance people out to clear them.
I'm an airport manager at a small rural airport, a busy small rural
airport, and in the 12 years I've been doing it we have found:
-One tailwheel steering spring.
-One large bolt washer, non-aircraft, probably off the lawn mowing
equipment. Found at runway edge.
-A few small stones, tracked onto the runway by snowplowing equipment.

Old February 9th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
WingFlaps

On Feb 8, 11:39*am, Ricky wrote:

I've sometimes wondered if the Concorde would have been capable of
doing an immediate 180 and landing or shutting down the engine(s) on
the fire side and landing.

Concorde crashed because it could not climb. Lack of power would have
made the "impossible turn" even more impossible.

Cheers
Old February 9th 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rich Ahrens[_2_]

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Why try to defend time-
consuming and traffic-paralyzing runway inspections, when thousands
are dying due to other far more common failures?

Because the man likes to talk a walk. He told us so.

Maybe we've found a way for Anthony to walk without spending any money!

Old February 9th 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Rich Ahrens wrote in
et:

Steve Hix wrote:
The last actual simulator I had anything to do with was for the
Dassault Falcon 20, built by Singer-Link, about 32 years ago. I think
it was controlled by a PDP-11/70 ... wonder what it might be
equivalent to today.

A severely crippled Palm Pilot.

Which, come to think of it, might be a good nickname for Anthony...

Seconded.

Bertie
Old February 9th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Dan Luke" wrote in
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote:

One ****ing check-list mistake splashed a
Concorde.
Ken

That was a joke, right? Please tell me it was.

Yes, correct.

Ken is a joke.

You've just met Ken, right?

Ken's relatively new to me, too.

No way he's really Tarver, is there? Like, cloned or resurrected or
something?

Well, he's definitely of the smae ilk, but the style is differnet. I don't
think there's been any mention of rodents yet for instance. Did you catch
the thread about what did happen to him?

Bertie