ntsb report

Old March 30th 05, 04:33 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message ...

You're speaking of the specific case and I am speaking of the general
circumstances of doing such an operation.

You should have identified your comments as such or started a new thread.

Old March 30th 05, 04:39 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message ...

You have to be prepared to comply with 91.177. We have lots of places out
west
where Class E overlies a Class G airport well above 91.177 altitudes.

The floor of controlled airspace is irrelevant. FAR 91.177 does not apply
to VFR operations.

Old March 31st 05, 10:36 AM

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

wrote in message ...

You're speaking of the specific case and I am speaking of the general
circumstances of doing such an operation.

You should have identified your comments as such or started a new thread.

Somehow, I am not very good at learning the McNicol rules for the Universe.

Old March 31st 05, 10:38 AM

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

wrote in message ...

You have to be prepared to comply with 91.177. We have lots of places out
west
where Class E overlies a Class G airport well above 91.177 altitudes.

The floor of controlled airspace is irrelevant. FAR 91.177 does not apply
to VFR operations.

But, it applies to climbs in IMC that may require a level-off to avoid entering
Class E without a clearance. As I said, lots of circumstances out west where
you can do that, and it is often done. That what was I was trying to say, but
you in your special way try to "trick it" just to be difficult.

Old March 31st 05, 01:55 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message ...

Somehow, I am not very good at learning the McNicol rules for the
Universe.

It's called netiquette.

Old March 31st 05, 02:02 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message ...

But, it applies to climbs in IMC that may require a level-off to avoid
entering
Class E without a clearance. As I said, lots of circumstances out west
where
you can do that, and it is often done. That what was I was trying to say,
but
you in your special way try to "trick it" just to be difficult.

In other words, your comments applied to a completely different situation
and you did not identify them as such. This guy was in VMC when he broke
out of the clouds. He was in uncontrolled airspace where VFR minimums are
just one mile visibility and clear of clouds. He can level off there and
not be in violation of FAR 91.177 because FAR 91.177 applies only to IFR
flights.

Old April 1st 05, 03:18 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"oneatcer" wrote in message

Rule # 3 - Big brother McNicoll is always right.

Probably not always, but definitely very close to it.