Only official instrument approaches authorised under FAR?

Old August 5th 05, 11:28 PM
Paul Lynch

Default Only official instrument approaches authorised under FAR?

There are instrument approaches that are approved by the FAA that are not
available to the general public. The approach plate notes that approach
only applies to aircraft from Company XYZ. You will not find in in any
approach book. Typically the approach was developed by the private entity
and submitted for approval. Our company had one in Alaska. The approach
still exists, but we no longer fly to that destination.

"Peter" wrote in message

FAR 91.175 (a) suggests that it is not permitted to carry out a
descent in IMC except on an official published IAP.

Any views on this?

How would it differ if the entire procedure was done in Class G?

Peter.
E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.

Old August 6th 05, 02:10 AM
Daniel Roesen

* Paul Lynch :
There are instrument approaches that are approved by the FAA that
are not available to the general public. [...] Our company had one
in Alaska.

Hm, for what reason? Cheaper for your specific route(s) to that
destination than the published approaches?

Best regards,
Daniel
Old August 6th 05, 02:49 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Daniel Roesen" wrote in message

Hm, for what reason? Cheaper for your specific route(s) to that
destination than the published approaches?

Because there are no published approaches.

Old August 6th 05, 05:15 PM

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Daniel Roesen" wrote in message

Hm, for what reason? Cheaper for your specific route(s) to that
destination than the published approaches?

Because there are no published approaches.

Special instrument approach procedures may be for a location that
doesn't have a public IAP or it may be at a location that does have a
public IAP. An example is KRNO where the special ILS lowers the
minimums by several hundred feet.

Old August 7th 05, 04:15 AM
Scott Skylane

Roy Smith wrote:

What lets a special approach get lower minimums? The nav signals are the
same, the runway is the same, the terrain is the same, so what's different
about this one operator with the special approach that lets them get lower
mins?

Roy,

That's a good question. Our company has several special instrument
approaches, and I know of others with their own special STAR's and DP's.
I always assumed it was due to the presumption of higher training and
proficiency standards, and/or higher performance equipment, than is
available to the "lowest common denominator" standards that TERPS is
written for. I don't know this for sure, though.

Here is one example: http://homepage.mac.com/.Pictures/KodiacSpecial.JPG

Notice that note #5 describes some pretty specific conditions to be met,
not your everyday faire. Not all of the specials include these kind of
notes, but some do.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old August 7th 05, 04:27 AM
Scott Skylane

Scott Skylane wrote:

Whoops! Here's the correct link:

http://homepage.mac.com/scottdb/.Pic...iacSpecial.JPG

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old August 7th 05, 02:16 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
Scott Skylane wrote:

Roy Smith wrote:

[...]

Thanks for posting that!
Old August 7th 05, 04:48 PM
Paul Lynch

Lower mins using more restrictive procedures. Only crews specifically
trained for the approach, as opposed to anyone, can legally fly the
approach.