Different plane, same fix

Old June 20th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Default Different plane, same fix

Mark Hansen wrote:
On 06/20/07 08:54, Jay Honeck wrote:

[ snip ]

Anyway, what should I put on this stupid screw to stop it from
vibrating loose? LocTite? Another lock washer? There's no way to
safety wire it...

Thanks!

Can you get a bolt/screw that will fit the threads and which can
be safety wired? ... or would that not be an "approved" part?

I thought the retainer was a nut on the alternator. If you have enough
thread room (and a star washer is not doing the job) you could put a
second nut to be a jam nut.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old June 20th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

Default TG&Y was Different plane, same fix

flynrider via AviationKB.com wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
I don't have an A&P; I don't
even have a TG&Y.

OK how many hear understand the TG&Y reference?

For extra points what did it stand for?

Wasn't TG&Y a discount store? I remember them from the 60s/70s.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Right and now go fo the extra points.

Old June 20th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote:

OK how many hear understand the TG&Y reference?

For extra points what did it stand for?

"Thimbles, Girdles & Yoyos"

Old June 20th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Dan Luke wrote:
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote:

OK how many hear understand the TG&Y reference?

For extra points what did it stand for?

"Thimbles, Girdles & Yoyos"

no TG&Y was a twentieth century five and dime or variety store chain in
the United States. The chain was named for founders Thomlinson, Gosselin
and Young.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old June 20th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

Dan Luke wrote:
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote:

OK how many hear understand the TG&Y reference?

For extra points what did it stand for?

"Thimbles, Girdles & Yoyos"

Toys, Games & YoYos

Old June 20th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
Dan Luke wrote:
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote:

OK how many hear understand the TG&Y reference?

For extra points what did it stand for?

"Thimbles, Girdles & Yoyos"

Toys, Games & YoYos

I hit enter to quick.

Toys Games & YoYos is what we always heard it was as kids. I was somewhat
disheartend to later find out it was named after it founders Thomlinson,
Gosselin and Young.

Old June 21st 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blueskies

Purple 'small screw threadlocker' loctite would work great for this or similar applications. It is easily removable and
made for this purpose...

"RST Engineering" wrote in message ...
PLEASE, NO LOCTITE. LOCTITE MEANS THAT YOU NEVER WANT TO REMOVE THE SCREW AGAIN, which is going to play hell if the
alternator itself ever craps out.

If it is a bare wire, then no lockwasher in the world will help. Put a crimp terminal on the wire and then an INTERNAL
TOOTH star or splitring lockwasher. The order of assembly is alternator, crimp terminal, lockwasher, screw.

Jim

Old June 21st 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

Since the locktite (judiciously applied) will only be on the threads,
wouldn't the compression of the wire or eyelet between the alternator body
and the screw head provide enough conductivity?

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas
"David Lesher" wrote in message
(Jay Masino) writes:

"Generally" there's only 2 wires on the alternator; the field wire from
the regulator, and the output. Ground is usually established through
the case of the alternator and associated bracket. If it was a
relatively thin wire, it was more likely that it was the field. If
that's the case, you defintely DON'T want to safety wire it. A fresh
lock washer, and if you absolutely must, a very small dab of Locktite.

I disagree; many alternators I've seen have an added ground wire.
The engine sits on rubber motor mounts, you see...

Jac surely knows the difference between a wire screwed to the case;
and one going to a terminal...

Jay: I'm not thrilled with the locktite idea. Insulation is the last
thing you want & loctite is no conductor. You want a screwhead of some
kind that you can a) put new sharp-toothed lockwashers on. b) you can
safety wire down.

Now, where to find same is an exercise for the student....

--
A host is a host from coast to