Landing in high winds

Old August 15th 03, 02:13 AM
Frode Berg

Default Landing in high winds

Hi!

The other day I was flying in to Haugesund Karmoy (ENHD) on the west coast
of Norway.
The wind was 17 kts with 27 kts gust 30 degrees down the runway.
I was flying an Arrow 180 with the old herskey bar wings. Normally final
approach is done at 90 mph. However, in this wind I put on between 10-15
extra knots for safety.
It worked out well, although the long final was interesting to say the
least....the plane was jumping around madly, but never too scary, just glad
I was alone in the plane without any scared passenger....
About 50 feet over ground, the riot calmed down, and landing was a non
event. However, the crosswind component was still evident, so I landed in a
slip to compensate.

What do you other guys do in such a situation? Just put son some more speed
and fly "normal", or do you still keep the numbers? (not such a good idea
considering the gusts...)

Frode
P28R-180
LN-LMR

Old August 15th 03, 02:27 AM
H. Adam Stevens

Hi Frode
Add airspeed for gusts. Otherwise just nail the appropriate numbers.
Get the aircraft's momentum pointed right down the center of the runway; it
wants to stay that way.
Coordinated flight in the approach, slip in the flare.
Since I've been driving a P Baron (120 knot approach, 105 knots over the
numbers) it doesn't matter much.
But I have flown a 172 in 35 knot winds without incident. Or much pleasure.
Blue skies.
H.
N502TB

Old August 15th 03, 03:29 AM
Maule Driver

"Frode Berg" wrote in message
The wind was 17 kts with 27 kts gust 30 degrees down the runway.

What do you other guys do in such a situation? Just put son some more

speed
and fly "normal", or do you still keep the numbers? (not such a good idea
considering the gusts...)

I add a gust factor, reduce the flaps, and aim for the centerline. Flying a
taildragger, I get 'pumped' or 'psyched' for the approach. In other words,
I try to be extra alert, quick on the controls, and extra vigilant.

I normally try to fly in a slip starting on short final. Perhaps not the
optimal technique but it allows me to get comfortable with the slip picture
and to 'warm up' the cross controls required.

About 50 feet over ground, the riot calmed down, and landing was a non
event. However, the crosswind component was still evident, so I landed in

slip to compensate.

By flying short final in a slip, it allowed me to discover what you seemed
to have discovered too. While 30 knots at 90 degrees exceeds my ability to
keep it straight with the rudder, once I descended to within 10 feet or so
of the runway, the wind often decreases enough for my rudder authority to
catch up and allow me to get it straight. The 2 times that happened, I was
a second away from an abort and a trip to another airport.

While I work hard to keep it on the centerline while landing, I will use the
width of wider runways to reduce the xwind component on takeoff.

Old August 15th 03, 06:17 AM
Peter Duniho

"Frode Berg" wrote in message
What do you other guys do in such a situation? Just put son some more

speed
and fly "normal", or do you still keep the numbers?

Your approach sounds typical, though with a little more airspeed than most
people would use (normal final approach as well as your gust correction).

A standard procedure, one I use, is to add half the gust to your approach
speed (in your case, 17G27 means a 10 knot gust, so add 5 knots to your
airspeed...you're flying mph, but 5 knots is close enough to 5 mph for this
purpose ).

Stay on top of things, but don't fight the plane too much. More often than
not, if a gust tips the plane one way, another gust will come along shortly
to put you back where you were. I'll give the plane at least a half-second
to a second before making any large corrective actions, though I will still
make minor adjustments to keep the airplane aligned with the runway, on
centerline.

It's a bit of an art, controlling the plane to keep yourself in the right
place without controlling it so much that you are fighting the airplane the
whole way down. Generally speaking though, the less work you do, and the
more work you let the plane do, the better off you'll be.

In a C172, I use less flaps in a strong headwind. The reason being that
flaps and a headwind both steepen your approach. I like my descent angles
on final to be as "normal" as possible (i.e. same way every time), so in a
headwind, you can either add power or reduce flaps. I prefer reducing flaps
and flying my usual gliding approach.

One note about airspeed on final: if you do find yourself in a similar
situation with passengers, a consideration, assuming no other priorities
conflict (such as a very short runway, for example), you might consider
flying final at a higher airspeed than normal, so as minimize the time spent
on final. A nervous passenger may well be just that much worse in gusty,
bumpy conditions when they've got 50% longer on final to think about it.
Obviously, you wouldn't do this all the way down to the runway, but maybe up
to a half-mile final or so would be okay, IMHO.

Pete

Old August 16th 03, 11:48 PM
Dylan Smith

On 15 Aug 2003 15:00:58 -0700, John Galban wrote:
Having the FBO guys act as mobile tiedowns is a fairly regular
occurance at for high-wing pilots at some of the windier airports out
west. It used to happen to me all the time when I was flying Cessnas.
Since I started flying a Cherokee, it hasn't happened once. There's
something to be said for a low center of gravity and a wide gear
stance.

If you compare a C172 with a Cherokee, you'll find the gear track is
actually pretty similar. There's nothing to grab hold of on a low
wing so they just leave you to it. Also, the Cherokee has
steering system better suited to high winds. (I believe the C172
has springs/bungees linking the nosewheel steering, the Cherokee
has a 'solid' linkage).

My problem was that with the wind strength plus a tailwheel, the
weathervaning tendency is just too strong. My tailwheel steering
was provided by springs up to a certain limit, and then it goes
into free castor if you jab the brake. Trouble is, this system
doesn't work terribly well taxiing crosswind in a high wind, since
the weathervaning tendency will overcome the power of the springs
(and might even cause the tailwheel to come out of the detent and
castor, at which point you're basically buggered from a steering
point of view!)

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

Old August 17th 03, 12:49 AM
Dave Stadt

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
[...]

If you have effective brakes differential braking works if the tailwheel is
free to caster or locked.

Old August 17th 03, 03:30 AM
Snowbird

"Frode Berg" wrote in message ...
Hi!

The other day I was flying in to Haugesund Karmoy (ENHD) on the west coast
of Norway.
The wind was 17 kts with 27 kts gust 30 degrees down the runway.
I was flying an Arrow 180 with the old herskey bar wings. Normally final
approach is done at 90 mph. However, in this wind I put on between 10-15
extra knots for safety.

Caveat:
I don't fly an Arrow with hershey bar wings.

AFAIK, I fly a plane whose stall speed is *higher* than an Arrow's.

90 mph sounds quite high for normal final approach esp. w/ just you
in the plane, assuming your stall speed is similar to or lower than
mine.

I target final approach at 80 mph, 75 if it's just me and partial
fuel. I add 1/2 the gust factor as a rule of thumb ie 17 g 27
would add ~5 kts.

JMO, but I don't think it adds to safety to put on too much extra
speed. If it's really nasty and swirly near the ground, it just
extends the time you have to spend in ground effect bleeding off
extra speed.

Why do you feel it's necessary, or safer, to add 10 to 15 kts to
an approach speed which already sounds rather fast?

Cheers,
Sydney
Old August 17th 03, 08:29 PM
john smith

Snowbird wrote:
AFAIK, I fly a plane whose stall speed is *higher* than an Arrow's.
90 mph sounds quite high for normal final approach esp. w/ just you
in the plane, assuming your stall speed is similar to or lower than
mine.
I target final approach at 80 mph, 75 if it's just me and partial
fuel. I add 1/2 the gust factor as a rule of thumb ie 17 g 27
would add ~5 kts.
JMO, but I don't think it adds to safety to put on too much extra
speed. If it's really nasty and swirly near the ground, it just
extends the time you have to spend in ground effect bleeding off
extra speed.
Why do you feel it's necessary, or safer, to add 10 to 15 kts to
an approach speed which already sounds rather fast?

Note thaty the original poster stated airspeed in MILES PER HOUR not
knots.
90 MPH is about 75 kts, which is okay.
The Arrow has a healthy sink rate the requires some extra speed
initially to keep the sink rate below 500 fpm.