Diesel engine

Old May 1st 04, 01:47 PM
sidk

Richard,
Check this out... four K-type thermocouples and readout for $100! I
have had one for a couple years and it gets used every flight. Omega
is a well-respected name in industrial/scientific community.

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=HH501DK

Sid Knox
Velocity N199RS
Starduster N666SK
KR2 N24TC
W7QJQ

One thing I would like to instrument is the carburetor temperature.

Not a permenant gauge on the panel (I have one - but there's no space).
Just a low buck way of monitoring the carb temp in flight for a while to
see whazzappenin and see if pulling the carb heat knob is really doing
anything.

The carb is below the engine (KR2 style intakes manifold from GPAS)
where it is not warmed much from engine heat.

One of these days I want to make new exhaust pipes with a proper
carb heat muff.

But for now, I wonder if the air passing thru the cylinder fins would
be hot enough (too hot enough?) to work well - or not?

Only way to know for sure is to measure it.

Isn't there supposed to be a way to do that with a digital multimeter
and thermosistor, or thermocouple (what)?

Richard

Old May 1st 04, 07:23 PM
Richard Lamb

sidk wrote:

[...]

Thanks Sid, Very intereseting site.
And yes, that puppy just might solve my silly problems...

Richard