The New ATC: 4 Dimension Trajectory

Old March 21st 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default The New ATC: 4 Dimension Trajectory

Pilots, prepare to lose some sovereignty over your flights:

http://www.exn.ca/dailyplanet/view.asp?date=2/13/2006
As airplane travel is becoming more frequent, air traffic is said to
double in the next coming years. A new system called 4DT (4 Dimension
Trajectory) will soon replace current ones. It includes state of the
art technology in which air traffic controllers will have more control
over planes prior to landing...
Video: http://www.exn.ca/dailyplanet/view.asp?date=2/13/2006#

Mo
http://66.218.69.11/search/cache?_ad...icp=1&.intl=us
Old March 21st 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

A new system called 4DT (4 Dimension
Trajectory) will soon replace current ones.

Gee, it has a nifty name and everything. Must be real.

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.
Old March 21st 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

ATC needs to be renamed Air Traffic Coordination, they don't
control anything. That said, these systems are designed for
airlines at the major terminals and then forced on
everybody.

If computers and remote sensing work properly, all flights
outside of Class B could be self-monitored and cleared. But
that doesn't support the staff now working.

some support

Old March 21st 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

As airplane travel is becoming more frequent, air traffic is said to
double in the next coming years.

Right.

http://www.birdseyetourist.com/?cat=14

Old March 21st 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

Pilots, prepare to lose some sovereignty over your flights:

http://www.exn.ca/dailyplanet/view.asp?date=2/13/2006
As airplane travel is becoming more frequent, air traffic is said to
double in the next coming years. A new system called 4DT (4 Dimension
Trajectory) will soon replace current ones.

relax. The concept of required time of arrival has been talked about
for years. It's going to be a loooooonnnnnngggggggg time before
it's actually implemented.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old March 21st 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 19:08:50 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
wrote in
ImITf.118378$QW2.2559@dukeread08::

... That said, these systems are designed for airlines at
the major terminals and then forced on everybody.

Well, if Boeing and LockMart play it right, they'll be awarded the FAA
ATC contract, establish departure, en route and approach fees, and
then automate the entire operation with synthetic speech and airliner
data links without revising the fee schedule. They'll make a fortune,
unless there is a surge in mishaps or liability suits.

If computers and remote sensing work properly, all flights
outside of Class B could be self-monitored and cleared.

There's little doubt, that's the plan.

But that doesn't support the staff now working.

That's not an issue. ATC staffing will be subcontracted to India or
Dubai. It's the 21st century after all. :-)
Old March 21st 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 21:21:43 -0500, Bob Noel
wrote in
::

The concept of required time of arrival has been talked about
for years.

Apparently, among other things, 4DT supports tweaking that time en
route so there will be less holding, and stepped approach descents
will give way to throttled back glides.

It's going to be a loooooonnnnnngggggggg time before
it's actually implemented.

Perhaps. But IIRC Bowing is providing ATC under contract in the UK.
Once the software is written and tested, it would be possible to
deploy it as rapidly as personnel could be trained. In this country,
of course, there's no need to reduce CO2 emissions and aircraft noise
levels. :-(
Old March 21st 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Oh, no, Arabs running air ports, they will be a security
risk, terrorism, national shame, political hype, media
outrage, yellow journalism, what will we do... turn your
transponder OFF and fly at 25 feet in a rag and tube
airplane and they'll never find you if you stay away from
terminal areas. ATC radar operate in secondary mode, avoid
military radars and go where you want.

Or join the AOPA and EAA and stay in contact with your
Congressman. Politics is not a bad word.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

Old March 21st 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim Macklin" wrote \

Politics is not a bad word.

Oh, yes it is. It is the politicians, and the lobbyist that have made it a
bad word. The press needs to take it's share of blame, too. What normal,
good person would want to go into politics, and have every aspect of their
life exposed, and their past dug into?

Unfortunately, it *is* the only way to deal with what is out there. We do
need to use AOPA's limited powers of persuation, to swing things in our
favor.

I fear it is too little, too late.

Another bad word is Economics.

Instead of trying to keep the price of flying from going up, we need to get
the price of flying going down, and down dramatically. Most average people
with any kind of obligations, and other responsibilities that require
financial outlay, can simply not afford to get into flying. Cut the price
of hourly wet plane rental (or club participation) in half, and you would
start to get significantly more people participating in flying.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 21st 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

It's going to be a loooooonnnnnngggggggg time before
it's actually implemented.

Perhaps. But IIRC Bowing is providing ATC under contract in the UK.
Once the software is written and tested, it would be possible to
deploy it as rapidly as personnel could be trained. In this country,
of course, there's no need to reduce CO2 emissions and aircraft noise
levels. :-(

Check out the history of when all the new CNS/ATM requirements were
going to implemented. They always always always slide to the right,
and slide to the right many times. You think this particular old idea is
any different?

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the