Reporting windsheer

Old September 27th 04, 01:51 PM
Peter R.

Default Reporting windsheer

Last week during the climb-out, I encountered clear-air windsheer (as
opposed to thunderstorm-induced windsheer) at about 4,500 feet above the
ground.

The airspeed indicator dropped 15 knots while my groundspeed increased.
After a minute or so, the airspeed indicator returned to its previous
value.

Once I leveled off, I called flight service and reported it. However,
is this really report-worthy? The reason for my question is the
relatively higher altitude at which I encountered the windsheer.

--
Peter

Old September 27th 04, 11:54 PM
Peter Duniho

"Peter R." wrote in message
Last week during the climb-out, I encountered clear-air windsheer (as
opposed to thunderstorm-induced windsheer) at about 4,500 feet above the
ground.

The airspeed indicator dropped 15 knots while my groundspeed increased.
After a minute or so, the airspeed indicator returned to its previous
value.

It took you a full minute to recover 15 knots? That doesn't sound right.

Once I leveled off, I called flight service and reported it. However,
is this really report-worthy? The reason for my question is the
relatively higher altitude at which I encountered the windsheer.

Sure, it's report-worthy. Wind shear (please note spelling) at any altitude
is important to know about. Higher-altitude shear is not quite the safety
problem that low-level wind shear is, but it can still result in, at a
minimum, passenger discomfort or possibly even aircraft upset (imagine a
Commercial Pilot candidate practicing chandelles, climbing through 4500' at
just above stall speed, for example).

It might also wind up being useful information for the weather briefers in
terms of interpreting the forecast. I don't think the weather service
itself looks at PIREPs, but if they did, knowing about the wind shear would
be helpful to them too.

You did the right thing...there's no such thing as too many PIREPs.

Pete

Old September 28th 04, 12:23 AM
Peter R.

Peter Duniho wrote:

After a minute or so, the airspeed indicator returned to its previous
value.

It took you a full minute to recover 15 knots? That doesn't sound right.

Or so... Not having a running stopwatch, I was SWAGing the time based
on my recollection of a flight about a week ago. How long does it
typically take to recover airspeed after encountering wind shear (note
spelling).

Once I leveled off, I called flight service and reported it. However,
is this really report-worthy? The reason for my question is the
relatively higher altitude at which I encountered the windsheer.

Sure, it's report-worthy. Wind shear (please note spelling)

LOL! Demonstrates that the golf umbrella is more entrenched in my
vocabulary than the weather phenomenon.

--
Peter

Old September 28th 04, 03:12 AM
Peter Duniho

"Peter R." wrote in message
Or so... Not having a running stopwatch, I was SWAGing the time based
on my recollection of a flight about a week ago.

Sorry...to me, the "or so" implies the time could have been even longer. I
misinterpreted what you wrote, I guess.

How long does it
typically take to recover airspeed after encountering wind shear (note
spelling).

Depends on the airplane, power setting, trimmed airspeed, and of course the
amount of airspeed lost. But that said, I'd "guesstimate" a recovery of 15
knots would take less than 30 seconds with no power change from a normal
cruise setting (with most of the airspeed recovering much sooner), and much
less (maybe 10 seconds max?) if the pilot recognizes the wind shear and
increases power to compensate.

Pete

Old September 28th 04, 03:35 AM
Peter R.

Peter Duniho wrote:

and much
less (maybe 10 seconds max?) if the pilot recognizes the wind shear and
increases power to compensate.

Or lowers the nose. I was at wide open throttle in a climb at the time
of the airspeed loss.

--
Peter