typical total time and PIC time question

Old October 14th 04, 11:57 AM
AJW

Default typical total time and PIC time question

SInce I took my training longer ago than most of you are alive, I'm confused
about current practices.

I came across a NTSB report that described a pilot with about 320 hours TT, of
which about 75 were as PIC. The pilot was about half way though his flight
training for his IRF rating, had a PPL and Class II physical. He was signed off
on complex SEL aircraft.

My own logbook when I had 320 hours tt showed about 80 hours dual, 260 PIC, but
that was back in the late 60s, and by then I had an IFR rating. What about you?
When you had about 300 hours, if you were SEL at the time, how much was dual,
how much PIC? What's typical today?
Old October 14th 04, 12:43 PM
Gary Drescher

"AJW" wrote in message
When you had about 300 hours, if you were SEL at the time, how much was
dual,
how much PIC? What's typical today?

At 300 hours (PP-ASEL-IA at the time), I had 95 hours dual, 244 hours PIC
(I'd just begun my commercial training). I suspect that's a typical
distribution, at least among pilots who pursue further ratings and
certificates.

--Gary

Old October 14th 04, 12:45 PM
John T

"AJW" wrote in message

I came across a NTSB report that described a pilot with about 320
hours TT, of which about 75 were as PIC. The pilot was about half way
though his flight training for his IRF rating, had a PPL and Class II
physical. He was signed off on complex SEL aircraft.

My own logbook when I had 320 hours tt showed about 80 hours dual,
260 PIC, but that was back in the late 60s, and by then I had an IFR
rating. What about you? When you had about 300 hours, if you were SEL
at the time, how much was dual, how much PIC? What's typical today?

My logbook (about 320 hours) is much more similar to yours than the crash
pilot's. It sounds like he was either a really slow learner with more money
and patience than skill or he just really liked having an instructor on
board.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old October 14th 04, 01:46 PM
G Farris

Interesting, your proportions are just about exactly reversed.
This guy had about 25% of his time as PIC, while at the same stage you had
only 25% as dual, AND you had the higher rating.

I'll bet averages today, for the first few hundred hours, are in between
somewhere. There IS more to learn and the standards have changed, even though
some of the things you probably had to demonstrate for your PPL are no longer
included in the PTS. Certainly very few pilots today have an IR rating with
only 80 hours dual.

G Faris

In article ,
emove says...

Old October 14th 04, 03:20 PM
Teacherjh

at 305 hours TT, I had 137 dual and 248 PIC. (of which 168 was non-dual), and
had my instrument rating.

Jose

Old October 14th 04, 03:23 PM
AJW

Interesting, your proportions are just about exactly reversed.
This guy had about 25% of his time as PIC, while at the same stage you had
only 25% as dual, AND you had the higher rating.

I'll bet averages today, for the first few hundred hours, are in between
somewhere. There IS more to learn and the standards have changed, even though
some of the things you probably had to demonstrate for your PPL are no longer
included in the PTS. Certainly very few pilots today have an IR rating with
only 80 hours dual.

G Faris

I don't think I was atypical for the time. Since I was flying in Massachusetts,
IFR was I thought required, and I took off for my IFR flight test with 199.5
hours tt logged! I have friends who flew in the Navy who claimed they were
landing jets on carriers with 200 hours tt.

thanks all for your responses. I did a little more investigation and learned
the pilot in question had logged a bunch of duel before taking his pp flight
test, then gave up flying for a while. I guess when he started again he started
right at the beginning. It explains some of the heavy dual -- some other
factors explain even more.

AJW

Old October 14th 04, 03:23 PM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 07:45:45 -0400, "John T" wrote in
::

It sounds like he was either a really slow learner with more money
and patience than skill or he just really liked having an instructor on
board.

Other factors could be:

1, The length of time it took the pilot to acquire his airman
certificate.

2. The length of time it took the pilot to acquire his 320 total
hours, and thus his currency level at any given time.

3. The pilots degree of self confidence and lack thereof.

Old October 14th 04, 03:43 PM
Bob Moore

(AJW) wrote

I don't think I was atypical for the time. Since I was flying in
Massachusetts, IFR was I thought required, and I took off for my IFR
flight test with 199.5 hours tt logged! I have friends who flew in
the Navy who claimed they were landing jets on carriers with 200
hours tt.

I did my first carrier landing (T-28) at 115 total flight time.

Bob Moore