"Why was a plane able to fly over New York?"

Old October 19th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Michael Houghton

Default "Why was a plane able to fly over New York?"

Howdy!

In article ,
On 2006-10-19, Bob Noel wrote:
my mistake, you didn't specify corridors only (even though you said "it went
on all the time in Houston. It's almost impossible to use the I-10 corridor
legally in any fixed wing plane much bigger than a Cessna 150."
You talked about flying over cities. So, my question is given that you
don't know what "undue hazard means", why do you say that everyone
flying over cities are in violation of the 91.119(a)?

We don't know for sure - but it's reasonable to assume that flying over
a place where the only outlanding options are densely populated with
people or people driving cars would, if your engine quit, cause an undue
hazard to these people.

Can you do better than that? Why is it reasonable to make that assumption?
Do the FARs speak to what they mean when they say "undue hazard"? Can
you back this up with citations?

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix narrowwares
Bowie, MD, USA |
http://whitewolfandphoenix.com
Proud member of the SCA Internet Whitewash Squad
Old October 19th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"John Theune" wrote in message

This discussion started on the East River flyway and also included the
Houston flyway.

What airspace restriction says no more then 1100 feet?

Old October 20th 06, 08:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 13:56:43 -0000, Dylan Smith

On 2006-10-18, Bob Noel wrote:
But what does "undue hazard" mean? Surely it can't mean "any hazard",
so how much hazard is acceptable?

Look at the traffic patterns for the airports.
They bring the little guys and big iron in over heavily populated
areas in an almost steady string. I'm far more comfortable with the
little guy flying around overhead than a jetliner. If he goes down
the little guy can break a few windows or start a fire, but a jet
liner can clean out a city block or just plain take out a lot of
territory.
OTOH The chances of either happening are very small. For a city the
size of NY with only two planes in the history of aviation hitting a
high rise is pretty remarkable. Also note the only deaths were the
pilot and copilot.

There is very little hazard from small planes flying overhead and the
damage one can do is miniscule compared to a jetliner.

Sadly - we will only discover that when the FAA prosecutes someone.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com