IFR flight plan with multiple stops

Old August 11th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
gregscheetah

Default IFR flight plan with multiple stops

A recent flight planning software package I am trying creates a single
flight plan - say from DSM to Jeffco. Even tho there is a fuel stop in
KLBF, about midway. This is what it wants to file with DUATS.

My question is: I have always thought it was necessary to file two
flight plans - one DSM to KLBF and another KLBF to Jeffco. Is this
necessary? Or can I file a single flight plan? Is the Voyager
software making a mistake?

Thanks,

Old August 11th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave Butler[_1_]

gregscheetah wrote:
A recent flight planning software package I am trying creates a single
flight plan - say from DSM to Jeffco. Even tho there is a fuel stop in
KLBF, about midway. This is what it wants to file with DUATS.

My question is: I have always thought it was necessary to file two
flight plans - one DSM to KLBF and another KLBF to Jeffco. Is this
necessary? Or can I file a single flight plan? Is the Voyager
software making a mistake?

It probably can be filed that way. You can let it go ahead and file it to see
whether DUAT accepts it. You don't have to fly it just because it's filed.

Whether ATC will let you fly it is another question. In my part of the country,
probably not. I'm guessing after your fuel stop you'd find your flight plan
doesn't exist any more.

Regardless of what DUAT or ATC wants, I'd want two flight plans.

DB
Old August 11th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 08/11/06 07:12, gregscheetah wrote:
A recent flight planning software package I am trying creates a single
flight plan - say from DSM to Jeffco. Even tho there is a fuel stop in
KLBF, about midway. This is what it wants to file with DUATS.

My question is: I have always thought it was necessary to file two
flight plans - one DSM to KLBF and another KLBF to Jeffco. Is this
necessary? Or can I file a single flight plan? Is the Voyager
software making a mistake?

Thanks,

I remember someone on one of these aviation groups showed how to file
a flight plan that included delays for various things, like refueling
or approach practice. They even included the syntax for filing such a
plan in DUATS.

I've since looked for this and can't find it. Does anyone here remember
that? Where can the syntax be found?

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old August 11th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Andrew Sarangan[_1_]

gregscheetah wrote:
A recent flight planning software package I am trying creates a single
flight plan - say from DSM to Jeffco. Even tho there is a fuel stop in
KLBF, about midway. This is what it wants to file with DUATS.

My question is: I have always thought it was necessary to file two
flight plans - one DSM to KLBF and another KLBF to Jeffco. Is this
necessary? Or can I file a single flight plan? Is the Voyager
software making a mistake?

Thanks,

If you are on IFR flight plan and you stop to get fuel, the whole
airport will be shutdown for IFR operations until you get back in the
air. I've heard this being done by freight carriers who stop for a
couple of minutes to drop off a package and be on their way. There was
an article about this on IFR magazine some time ago. You file a flight
plan with a 'through stop' (I am not sure of the exact term). The same
article also mentioned that ATC will not normally approve these stops
except at remote airports where other IFR traffic is less likely.

Old August 11th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Tim Auckland

The delay syntax came up in a thread "X-count flight plan" started by
dlevy on 12/6/2004.

Messages from Roy Smith and Stan Provost have the actual syntax.

Here's an exceprt from Roy's:

In theory, you should be able to file a single IFR flight plan that
covers your entire flight, with delays at each intermediate point. I
just filed the following with DUATS:

1 Type of flight plan: IFR
2 Aircraft tail number: N25629
3 Acft type/special equip: P28A/U
4 True airspeed: 130
5 Departure point: HPN
6 Departure time: (UTC) Mon Dec 6 20:00
7 Altitude: 30
8 Route of flight: CMK V3 HFD IJD/D0+05 HFD V3 CMK
4104/07342
9 Destination: HPN
10 Estimated time enroute: 0400
11 Remarks:
12 Fuel on board: 0500
13 Alternate destination(s):
14 Pilot's name: ROY H SMITH
Address: XXX
Phone no.: 999-555-5555
Aircraft home base: HPN
15 Number aboard: 1
16 Color of aircraft: WHITE/BLUE
17 Dest contact name:
Phone no.:

and the computer accepted it. The "IJD/D0+05" means "delay for 5
minutes at IJD". I suppose for a touch-and-go, I could have made it
"IJD/D0+01".

The google groups url is:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.aviation.ifr/browse_thread/thread/5f9c6542743db5c9/1e99bf180a6ab6ed?lnk=st&q=&rnum=8&hl=en#1e99bf180a 6ab6ed

Tim.

Old August 11th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 08/11/06 08:52, Tim Auckland wrote:
The delay syntax came up in a thread "X-count flight plan" started by
dlevy on 12/6/2004.

Messages from Roy Smith and Stan Provost have the actual syntax.

Wow, Thanks Tim. I'm going to save this off this time!

Here's an exceprt from Roy's:

[ snip ]

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA

Old August 11th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

In article ,
Mark Hansen wrote:
On 08/11/06 08:52, Tim Auckland wrote:
The delay syntax came up in a thread "X-count flight plan" started by
dlevy on 12/6/2004.

Messages from Roy Smith and Stan Provost have the actual syntax.

Wow, Thanks Tim. I'm going to save this off this time!

Just keep in mind that having the DUATS computer accept it, and having
ATC issue you the clearance you seek are two different things.
Old August 11th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

If you are on IFR flight plan and you stop to get fuel, the whole
airport will be shutdown for IFR operations until you get back in the
air.

Assuming no tower.

Old August 11th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Tim Auckland

Here's another thread, this time with input from Steven McNicoll

"Thoughts on this approach?" 7/18/2005 Yossarian

Reply from Steven P. McNicoll 7/26/2005 7:34 am

The route should be filed with a delay in hours and
minutes at the point the approaches are to be made. If you intend to
fly
approaches for one hour it would be DXR..ABC/D1+00..DXR, half an hour
would
be DXR..ABC/D0+30..DXR.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.aviation.ifr/browse_frm/thread/298ad97201b83d79/2d056b05cae912f7?tvc=1&hl=en#2d056b05cae912f7