NATCA Going Down in Flames

Old September 5th 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default NATCA Going Down in Flames

Some will do that. It will be the best and most experienced. Those that
remain will all be wearing pants. Do you think that is a net positive?

This is the same argument that we all tried to use against privatizing
Flight Service.

Surprise! After the dust settled, it turned out that the "most
experienced" briefers -- the ones who retired -- were actually the
deadwood in the organization, and (in the short term, until they start
charging per-call) we're better off with Lockheed-Martins' version of
FSS. Call performance is better, briefers are better trained, with
better equipment, and getting a weather briefing is a more positive
experience for pilots.

There are almost 300 million people in this country. No one is
irreplaceable. No one.

I sure wish you guys would learn that lesson, and keep quiet about this
silly dress code issue. Privatization is NOT going to be good for GA.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 5th 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
I guess I've never figured out why, if an employee doesn't like the rules
he is subjected to, he just doesn't find something else to do. A union
certainly isn't the solution.

Some will do that. It will be the best and most experienced. Those that
remain will all be wearing pants. Do you think that is a net positive?

I'd rather see the union go away.
Old September 5th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Javier[_1_]

Emily wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:
So.. how much would you be willing to pay, per use, for this privatized
ATC that you advocate?

Zero. I would fly VFR, without them.

How could you get away with flying VFR 100% of the time?

Same way I flew VFR 100% of the time before earning my instrument rating.

In fact, I believe Jay doesn't have an instrument rating, so all of the
stories he has posted about his flying adventures are 100% about VFR flying.

-jav
Old September 5th 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Emily wrote:

I'd rather see the union go away.

So would I.

Old September 5th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:

Zero. I would fly VFR, without them.

Do you understand you'd also have to remain clear of Class B, C, and D
airspace?

Old September 5th 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:

No, my position is an extension of my disgust with arrogant employees
who, while being paid handsomely, can't seem to keep their mouths shut
and their minds on the job.

You guys are driving yourselves off a cliff, and you don't even see it
coming. What makes it so sad is that it's precisely the same cliff
that unions have driven off for the last 80 years.

Trouble is, with the seemingly inexorable drive toward privatizing ATC,
your untimely insubordination means that this time you're going to take
us all with you.

That's not the impression your messages give.

Old September 5th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jay Honeck wrote:

Zero. I would fly VFR, without them.

Do you understand you'd also have to remain clear of Class B, C, and D
airspace?

No problem.

Old September 5th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:

Really? I find it fascinating.

Unfortunately, it's the same fascination that won't let you avert your
eyes when you're witnessing a train wreck. Controllers, by their
actions, have harmed GA's chances of avoiding privatization in ways
that no other single action could have accoplished. And we're all
going to pay for it.

All because they don't want to be "forced" to wear dockers and a nice
shirt to work.

Why should government employees that aren't even seen by the customer
be forced to wear dockers and a nice shirt to work while private sector
employees that must interact with customers, like those at the Alexis
Park Inn, can dress like bums?

Your position appears to be solely based on your noted dislike of
government employees.

Old September 5th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:

Zero. I would fly VFR, without them.

Do you understand you'd also have to remain clear of Class B, C, and D
airspace?

No problem.

It wouldn't be a problem for some pilots, but it might be a problem for
Jay. It would mean he can no longer fly in to AirVenture.

Old September 5th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 08:35:16 -0400, Javier
wrote in :

Emily wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:
So.. how much would you be willing to pay, per use, for this privatized
ATC that you advocate?

Zero. I would fly VFR, without them.

How could you get away with flying VFR 100% of the time?

Same way I flew VFR 100% of the time before earning my instrument rating.

In fact, I believe Jay doesn't have an instrument rating, so all of the
stories he has posted about his flying adventures are 100% about VFR flying.

Of course, that doesn't mean he hasn't used ATC services during those
VFR flights (hopefully).