A-4 / A-7 Question

Old October 9th 03, 05:52 PM
John R Weiss

"Mike Kanze" wrote...
All excellent discussion and very good points, but what do our
ground-pounding "customers" think of the effectiveness of current CAS
doctrine?

I don't know about now, but I do recall one particular conference back in 1989
or so, when we were doing the Dem-Val of AIWS (now JSOW). The USMC rep was
adamant that they could not accept the concept of an autonomous standoff weapon
used for CAS targets in close proximity to friendly Marines. With the
possibility of mistargeting and no means of aborting the weapon, the risk was
too high. With conventional weapons, the FAC had the airplane in sight during
the roll-in and delivery, and had the opportunity to abort the run until just
prior to weapon release.

Old October 9th 03, 07:17 PM
Guy Alcala

Elmshoot wrote:

Just saw something on the news about a B-52 doing CAS. 100 plus GPS bombs
dropped from 30,000 feet.

More likely they were referring to the B-2 dropping 80 Mk. 82 JDAMs; go he

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030917/cgw043_1.html

Unless the Buff has been upgraded _very_ recently, IIRR only the pylons have the
1760 interfaces that allow target coordinates to be downloaded to the JDAMs,
limiting them to a maximum of 18 (9 per pylon). Internally, the Hs not only lack
the interfaces, but the bomb bay holds a maximum of 27 Mk. 82 500-lb. or M117
750-lb. bombs (bomb weights are nominal, and actual weights are higher in both
cases). The bomb bay could be modified to hold up to 84 Mk. 82s or 42 M117s, as
was done with the 'Big Belly' mod to the 'D' models during the Vietnam war, but
it's extremely unlikely that they will do so, and even if they did it might not
be possible to install the interfaces in any case.

Guy

Old October 10th 03, 02:45 AM
Thomas Schoene

"John R Weiss" wrote in message
I don't know about now, but I do recall one particular conference
back in 1989 or so, when we were doing the Dem-Val of AIWS (now
JSOW). The USMC rep was adamant that they could not accept the
concept of an autonomous standoff weapon used for CAS targets in
close proximity to friendly Marines.

The Marines were the primary instigators of the 500-lb JDAM, specifically
for CAS. I'd say they changed their mind sometime after 1989.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old October 10th 03, 03:26 AM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 10/9/03 11:52 AM, in article Zmghb.528215$Oz4.404911@rwcrnsc54, "John R
Weiss" wrote:

"Mike Kanze" wrote...
All excellent discussion and very good points, but what do our
ground-pounding "customers" think of the effectiveness of current CAS
doctrine?

I don't know about now, but I do recall one particular conference back in 1989
or so, when we were doing the Dem-Val of AIWS (now JSOW). The USMC rep was
adamant that they could not accept the concept of an autonomous standoff
weapon
used for CAS targets in close proximity to friendly Marines. With the
possibility of mistargeting and no means of aborting the weapon, the risk was
too high. With conventional weapons, the FAC had the airplane in sight during
the roll-in and delivery, and had the opportunity to abort the run until just
prior to weapon release.

That's changed. The TACP or FAC buys the hit once the pilot reads his
coordinates back off the DDI. When both parties are in agreement, the bomb
comes off the jet.

We dropped MANY through the weather.

--Woody

Old October 10th 03, 03:27 AM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 10/9/03 1:17 PM, in article
, "Guy Alcala"
wrote:

Elmshoot wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Guy. 18 JDAMs is the number. I couldn't remember it before.

--Woody

Old October 10th 03, 05:03 AM
John R Weiss

"Thomas Schoene" wrote...

The Marines were the primary instigators of the 500-lb JDAM, specifically
for CAS. I'd say they changed their mind sometime after 1989.

Makes sense... Less collateral damage than the big ones. Also, can be carried
on the Harrier.

Old October 10th 03, 05:03 AM
John R Weiss

"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" wrote...

That's changed. The TACP or FAC buys the hit once the pilot reads his
coordinates back off the DDI. When both parties are in agreement, the bomb
comes off the jet.

Gotta LUV that technology! :-)

With 2-way digital 9-line briefs/readbacks, it's a lot easier.