Why Zuni?

Old January 29th 04, 02:27 PM
Pechs1

Is the Zuni still in the 'inventory'?

Replaced with somethin else?

When I was in fleet Phantoms, in 1983, they were not onboard Midway.

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old January 30th 04, 12:55 AM
Joe Delphi

It appears that the Zuni was named after the Zuni indian tribe,
which lived in the AZ/NM region, hard by [in continental terms]
China Lake.

[I thought, after all these "There I was at 20,000 feet ..." TINS
sea stories, someone ought to return to the original question.]
--
OJ III

Because everyone knows that the Zuni Indian tribe killed their enemies with
5" rockets.....

Old January 30th 04, 03:36 AM
John R Weiss

"Pechs1" wrote...
Is the Zuni still in the 'inventory'?

Replaced with somethin else?

When I was in fleet Phantoms, in 1983, they were not onboard Midway.

After the Forest Fire they were restricted from shipboard use for a while.
IIRC, none on Midway back then, but came back by '88 to Nimitz.

I remember firing some at Yakima when in VA-165...

Old January 30th 04, 05:48 PM
Ogden Johnson III

"Joe Delphi" wrote:

It appears that the Zuni was named after the Zuni indian tribe,
which lived in the AZ/NM region, hard by [in continental terms]
China Lake.

[I thought, after all these "There I was at 20,000 feet ..." TINS
sea stories, someone ought to return to the original question.]

Because everyone knows that the Zuni Indian tribe killed their enemies with
5" rockets.....

;-

I also said:

I still have yet to hear back from my official query to China
Lake, but have heard back from an ex-bubblehead now working
there.

I have now heard back [it was to the webmaster of their
history/museum site], confirming that it was the Indians.

He had a little stuff in it on their other FFAR efforts, and I've
asked him if I can post it here.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.
Old January 31st 04, 01:21 PM
Erik Peter Meijer

I'm looking for dettailed drawings of the 5" zuni rocket, could someone help
me?

Erik

Old January 31st 04, 02:28 PM
Pechs1

JRweiss- I remember firing some at Yakima when in VA-165... BRBR

I actually fired them in the RAG, VF-101 in 1974/5 as a 'student'...really fun.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old February 1st 04, 02:09 AM
Elmshoot

I remember firing some at Yakima when in VA-165...

While the answer to my original post was as I suspected: The 5" rocket was
named after the Zuni indian tribe, I have never seen them except at a museum. I
only shot the 2.75" which I believe we mistakenly called Zuni but now I
understand them to be more correctly called the "Mighty Mouse". It is very
likely that the 2.75 was the only rocket in the inventory back then.

After the Forest Fire they were restricted from shipboard use for a while.
IIRC, none on Midway back then, but came back by '88 to Nimitz.

Was this the 2.75" or the 5"?

Sparky