How to Buy a Headset for the Wife?

Old December 16th 04, 11:55 PM
Cockpit Colin

Among audio professionals, anything "Bose" is derided for offering half
the
sound at twice the price. I'd get a nice Lightspeed set or something

with
a separate audio input for music and spend the rest on some jewelry for

her
XMAS gift.

Among aviation professionals, anyone owning Lightspeed always praise their
customer service - it's just a pity that nearly everyone seems to need so
much of it.

Old December 17th 04, 12:00 AM
Cockpit Colin

"WildBlueYonder76" wrote in message
oups.com...
Depending on how much you want to spend, Bose is prob one of the best
on the market. My Sigtronics S-58 (purchased from Sporty's) is
generally lightweight, and quite comfortable. Decent noise reduction.

Last comprehensive survey I saw put Bose on top, again. (albeit by a small
margin). There is little doubt that when it comes to performance - in all
areas - they're unrivaled - but there is no denying they are expensive, so
the perceived "value for money" tends to offset the superior performance in
the ratings. In my opinion, aviation is expensive - so why not spend a bit
more on something that'll help get the maximum enjoyment out of it?

Old December 17th 04, 05:04 AM

Ask "the wife" if she'd like to try a few different ones at the local
pilot shop.
See what she prefers.
You could also consider inviting her to earn her ticket.

Old December 17th 04, 07:34 AM
Cockpit Colin

With the Boise, I tend to get a hot spot on top of my head after several
hours of wearing them.

This was an issue with the very early models - I believe that they have a
free upgrage kit available, if you're interested.

Old December 17th 04, 07:35 AM
Cockpit Colin

You could also consider inviting her to earn her ticket.

Hmmm - that should effectively halve the available budget for flight time,
and kill all chance of some peace and quiet with the boys!

Old December 17th 04, 02:26 PM
Cockpit Colin

That's an amazing piece of (il)logic that just topedoed just about every
expensive product ever made.

Personally, when I screw up and make a dumb investment I'm not too proud to
admit it - having said that I bought a Bose - I love it - I bought another -
love that one too - and am after 2 more because I want my passengers to have
the best.

The other possibility you need to consider is that the reason they cost so
much is that they are actually better than the others. eg. Seen many others
using a titanium headband to reduce weight?

I'm told they sell something like 600 a month - so I guess a few others must
like them too - despite the price.

Old December 17th 04, 02:37 PM
Thomas Borchert

Cockpit,

The other possibility you need to consider is that the reason they cost so
much is that they are actually better than the others.

Sure. I just wanted to point out that these kinds of customer satisfaction
surveys have their pitfalls.

And of course, the price vs. value proposition is different for different
people.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 17th 04, 02:38 PM
Cockpit Colin

Some might find the following Bose -v- Lightspeed comparison of interest ...

http://www.avweb.com/news/reviews/181960-1.html

Old December 17th 04, 03:29 PM
Marc J. Zeitlin

Cockpit Colin wrote:

...Seen many others
using a titanium headband to reduce weight?

Minor Nit: Actually, it's cast magnesium, not titanium - magnesium is
even lighter still.

--
Marc J. Zeitlin
http://marc.zeitlin.home.comcast.net/

Old December 17th 04, 04:38 PM
Thomas Borchert

Cockpit,

Some might find the following Bose -v- Lightspeed comparison of interest ...

keeping in mind, though, that LightSPEED has gone through 2 more generations
of their products since then with significant changes, e.g. to the ANR.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)