Another Curious Question for the Group

Old July 12th 07, 07:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

Default Another Curious Question for the Group yEnc post

Wrong header should have been interesting aircraft
"I have a cunning plan"

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Old July 12th 07, 08:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jim Morris[_2_]

"Baldrick" wrote in message
Yes I know they're yEnc.
But they're worth it.
"I have a cunning plan"

nope they aren't.

jm

Old July 12th 07, 08:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jim Morris[_2_]

Default Another Curious Question for the Group

Trucks like Shockwave, and some smaller class racing boats used the
Westinghouse J-34 (now called the Pratt & Whitney J-34). There were a lot
of surplus engines at one time. They were used in Navy P2V's, T2J's, and
even powered the Douglas X-3.

Link to Shockwave truck: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question647.htm

vr,

jm

Old July 12th 07, 09:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Glenn[_2_]

"shiver" wrote in message
So I'm watching TV last night.

They are showing a scale model of a high rise building that was being
tested for it's ability to withstand wind.

Then they show an engine from a Lancaster being fired up to produce the
wind.

On a stand, complete with Lanc nacelle, and contra rotating props.

So my kinda curious question.

How many of you know of aviation engines out there that are being used
for oddball type jobs.

For example anyone know the history of some of the jet engines used to
dry off the NASCAR type racetracks when they are a little wet.

Or perhaps the jets used in those semis that roar down the runways at
airshows.

This sort of thing.

many years ago. About 1983 or 1984. I was at Kogarah Oval in sydney
The game was bwteen St George and some other team that I can't remember.
The field was so wet that before the game, they called in two helicopters to
hover over the field to dry it off.
Kicking myself for not having a camera but that was pre my photo burst
days(although i did do a bit of photography)

All i can remember was one was a PINK Jetranger owned by a famous Dr.
Geoffry Edelstein. Rember his Pink Detamaso for his girlfriend.

A guy who bought the Sydney swans and put my brother in hospital over Xmas
for not cleaning a wound out before stitching him up.
when paralysis set in, they admitted him immediately. but that's a
different story.

to answer your question, I've seen an aircraft used as a dryer :-)

Old July 12th 07, 09:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John B

"shiver" wrote in message
Netko wrote:

With contra-rotating props, isn't it more likely to have been a
Shackelton engine?

Well I'm sure no expert but even I thought it a little odd that they
mentioned a Lancaster and then showed what definitely looked like
a Lanc pod with the contra rotating props. 8 blades - no waiting.

Lancs - no contra rotating.

Shackletons - contra rotating - three bladed X 2.

John B

Old July 12th 07, 03:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

shiver wrote in news:110720071519220287%
:

So I'm watching TV last night.

They are showing a scale model of a high rise building that was being
tested for it's ability to withstand wind.

So my kinda curious question.

How many of you know of aviation engines out there that are being used
for oddball type jobs.

Several years ago, there was company that used the front end of a F-4U
Corsair to do the same thing, test the windows design on buildings in
Hong Kong.

Helicopter turbine engine drives the wheels in the Team Dempsy Vesco
"Turbinator" Streamliner at Bonneville holding the record at 427.832 MPH
(Fastest wheel driven vehicle landspeed record)

the jet driven record is by Team ThrustSSC is 763 mph with two jet
Rolls-Royce Spey 202 engines

the North American Eagle is going for 800 MPH soon with a LM1500/J-79
jet engine while not a true aircraft engine, its mounted in a heavly
modified wingless F-104 frame rescued from the scrap heap.

Spirt of America jet LSR car with a J-79

Course most frigates these days are using jet turbine engines to power
them.

as are power companies for power generation backup units for peak
demand periods.

our water company has a couple of jet turbine genset modules for
emergency use in the event of power failure. to supply electricty to
power the pumps.

Old July 12th 07, 03:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

Default Another Curious Question for the Group - 1 attachment

How many of you know of aviation engines out there that are being used
for oddball type jobs.

Ok forgot about the NYC M-497

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nyc-m497.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	14019
Old July 12th 07, 03:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

Default Another Curious Question for the Group - 2 attachments

How many of you know of aviation engines out there that are being used
for oddball type jobs.

and from down under Rod Hadfield's Merlin v-12 powered 55 Chevy

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55proj902_11.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	14021
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55chev.jpg (60.8 KB, 33 views)
Old July 12th 07, 04:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 21:19:34 GMT, shiver
wrote:

So I'm watching TV last night.

They are showing a scale model of a high rise building that was being
tested for it's ability to withstand wind.

Then they show an engine from a Lancaster being fired up to produce the
wind.

On a stand, complete with Lanc nacelle, and contra rotating props.

So my kinda curious question.

How many of you know of aviation engines out there that are being used
for oddball type jobs.

The New York Central Railroad mounted a twin pod off (I believe) a
B-36 on the top of a (once again, I believe) a Budd rail car to test
high speed rail capability. I used to have the pic of it, but I can't
find it right now.
NO, use John Mee3 at comcast dot net (remove the spaces and do the
obvious with the "dot" and the "at"
Old July 12th 07, 04:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Art Woodbury[_2_]

In article ,
says...
snip...
How many of you know of aviation engines out there that are being used
for oddball type jobs.

snip...

Here's one:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...844199,00.html

Today's Curious Question For Da Group shiver Aviation Photos 6 July 9th 07 07:17 AM
Question for the group Jim[_2_] Aviation Photos 6 July 3rd 07 12:55 AM
Curious question to the group. shiver Aviation Photos 18 May 30th 07 08:58 AM
Just curious Ramapriya Piloting 13 January 9th 05 10:34 AM
Might be the wrong group but a question about TERPS Frederick Wilson Home Built 3 October 30th 03 10:51 PM