DECISIONS (US)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 8th 05, 07:08 PM

Default DECISIONS (US)

I'm afraid the SSA is living with some well intended, but bad decisions
that were made a few years back. Remember the '80's, runaway inflation,
interest rates at 20%? The Board of Directors decided to offer life
memberships for $400 bucks. The annual dues were $28 bucks, $400 X 20%
= $80 bucks a year and it only took $28 to provide the services. Seemed
like a "no brain'er". What are the dues today, $65 bucks? I don't know
because I took advantage of that $400 life membership offered in the
80's. Raising dues again would be counterproductive, because some
members drop over higher rates.

Bad Decision #2, The hang gliders came to us and wanted to join as a
division of the SSA. What did we say? No way------we don't wan't
anything to do with those uncertified things, why ther're nothing but
lawn chairs hung under bed sheets. What did the hang gliders do? They
formed their own association and I believe they have something like 4
times the membership we now enjoy (11,306)

So, where are we now and what can we do? First off, solving our
problems doesn't have anything to do with moving the office. Secondly,
merging with EAA or AOPA won't solve a thing-------all that will do is
to insure the loss of our idenity. I'm surprised someone hasn't
recommended we merge with AARP, most of us are old enough!

We must hang in there and tough it out. I contribute $100 bucks a year
to the coffers, partially because I know my life membership was sold
way too cheap. If we get to the point where we can no longer pay the
bills-----------we might consider asking the hang gliders if we could
become a division of the USHGA.

JJ Sinclair