I need advice in a career in Aviation

Old June 15th 04, 05:48 AM
Paulwall

Default I need advice in a career in Aviation

Hello everyone.. I'm new to this newsgroup and im sure glad I found
it.. there seems to be a ton of good information here.. My question is
to anyone who is a pilot or knows about this field and can help me go
in the right direction. My father was in the military as a crewcheif
on the C17 and many other cargo planes until he retired.. All my life
I have wanted to be a pilot, but after I graduated highschool I lost
sight of what I wanted to do and been working fulltime and havn't went
into the direction I wanted to be in.. My question to everyone is I
want to know if it is possible to still have a future being a Aviator
for the Air Force or even Air National Guard? I am 22 years old (I
dont think thats to old, but maybe its pushing it just getting
started?) I only have 1 semester of college. From my understanding I
need a bachelor degree.. which I could probally get done in a few
years. I need some advice on what I should start doing right now to
get going where I need to be. thanks in advance!
Paul
Old June 15th 04, 01:15 PM
tscottme

Paulwall wrote in message
om...
[...]

Your first step might be to get a First Class FAA Physical Exam to see
if there is some medically disqualifying condition. Or if you are in
good shape, you might just opt for a very good eye exam, not just a
glance at a wall chart and guess at the letters. When I was in the Navy
Club in college we heard many stories about what was called the "NAMI
Whammy". That meant prospective aviators meeting the basic entry
requirements only to find that the strict physical exam found something
that prevented them getting a flight slot or limited what kind of slot
they could get, say not as a pilot but as a Non-Flying Officer, (WSO or
guy in back). Often the story was a candidate that had been told he had
20/20 by slack civilian doctors only to find that it was almost 20/20 or
however NAMI measures it. If you have some sort of disqualifying
medical condition, better to know that now than after you go on the hook
for a bunch of college debt and have skipped over some civilian flying
opportunities, if there are any these days. I've heard that the vision
requirements have been eased ever so slightly since the days when you
needed vision better than Chuck Yeager to be admitted into the
recruiters office, but since I'm past all that I haven't paid strict
attention.

As for age, I think you have to be able to be admitted and complete OCS
or some part of your training before your 27th birthday. I know when I
was very interested in the early 1990s I was 4 or 5 years older than you
are now and was very close to being able to meet that deadline. I do
remember that the cutoff is being a certain age before some milestone
like graduating OCS or such. They don't set the limit as "must be less
than X years to apply." What may or may not be a problem is finishing
college and getting through the milestone event in time. But nothing is
better than real life motivation to keep you from squeezing 4 years of
college into 6 years of life.

--
Scott
--------

Old June 15th 04, 03:34 PM
Paulwall

Well, my advice would be to get some more education. If your speaking
skills match your writing skills then you should go back to the tenth
grade,

Wow, thanks for the advice.. I dont remember asking anyone to come
here and bash me. I dont know exactly what it is I wrote that was
wrong.. but i'll just leave it alone.
Old June 15th 04, 03:52 PM
SteveM8597

Wow, thanks for the advice.. I dont remember asking anyone to come
here and bash me. I dont know exactly what it is I wrote that was
wrong.. but i'll just leave it alone.

Don't worry about it. there seem to be some here whose whole purpose in being
on Usenet is to point out the mistakes that others make. It can be an
interesting but unfriendly place if you let the nitpickers get to you or let
yourself take things personally.

That was great advise about getting an FAA physical. Getting a degree is
important no matter what, military, pilot, or whatever. The Army doesn't
require a four year degree to fly rotary wings. you might wnat to talk to a
recruiter about taking the qualifying tests.

In any case joining the Reserves or Guard while going to college partialy at
Uncle Sam's expense has been a path some have taken. The key is to be in the
best physical condition you can and agressively pursue college.

Steve
Old June 15th 04, 08:37 PM
Ron

In any case joining the Reserves or Guard while going to college partialy at
Uncle Sam's expense has been a path some have taken. The key is to be in the
best physical condition you can and agressively pursue college.

Steve

That would be my advice. I have a friend that was in your position, did not do
that great in college at first, and left for a little bit. He joined the ANG,
got his act together, and is now a full time ANG F-16 pilot.

Ron
PA-31T Cheyenne II
Maharashtra Weather Modification Program
Pune, India

Old June 15th 04, 09:54 PM
Jack

Greasy Rider @ invalid.com wrote:

Well, my advice would be to get some more education. If your speaking
skills match your writing skills then you should go back to the tenth
grade,

Yo, Greasy: you should end a sentence with a period, not with a comma! Get some
more education, idiot!

Your intended victim may not be like you and me, but that doesn't mean there is
no future for him in aviation. He could always fly helicopters.

Jack
Old June 16th 04, 05:04 AM
Paulwall

Well I got a few people giving me advice and some that want to be assholes.
Thanks for the help, ill look more into it. Any more advice is appreciated.
Paul

Old June 16th 04, 05:29 AM
Krztalizer

Your intended victim may not be like you and me, but that doesn't mean there
is
no future for him in aviation. He could always fly helicopters.

Hey, Jack. Eat me.

Gordon
Jets *are* for kids, yanno
USN SAR

An LZ is a place you want to land, not stay.